Who is your favorite acoustic guitarist?

guit30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nick Drake. That's right I said it. He may not be the most flashy, fancy and well known. But in my little opinion he is by far the most beautiful on acoustic. This is probably just as much due to his amazing lyrics and melodies; it all comes together and nothing has yet come close to moving me the way his music does.

I'm one of THOSE fans....

• Members

SOOOOOO MANY!!! Too many to list and I think of new ones all the time. But Gordon Lightfoot is always first.

Close Followers are Willie Nelson, Ian Tyson, Sonny James and

Kurt Smith.

Yea, I know You haven't heard of Kurt... He's a friend I play garage music with. His dad was a touring honkytonk roadhouse player in the 50's and 60's. Kurt started on bass with his dad's band as a teen and learned to play the guitar in the same style. Sort of a honkytonk Willie style.

• Members

That's almost like asking what's your favorite song. For me it depends on "who" I am listening to at that time.

I will say that Eric Clapton probably stimulated the acoustic guitar market more than anyone in history when he did his unplugged gig on MTV.

There are tons of acoustic guitars abandoned in closets and under beds after the new owners gave up trying to learn "Tears in Heaven" and "Layla".

• Members

Originally posted by Tioga_Man

Doc Watson...maybe Norman Blake

and Rory Block....because she turned me on to acoustic country blues with her fine playing.

I just had the pleasure of seeing Rory Block last night at the Tucson folk festival - she'll close out tonight's performances as well. Pretty incredible woman I thought.

I dunno if it was an act or not but she made a point of saying she didn't know how to describe any of her tunings, that she just twisted the machines until things sound good. That made me feel pretty accomplished (though somehow I don't play 10% as well as she does :)), and that's not a bad thing.

• Members
Originally posted by guit30

Did not take me long, I review a lot of Nashville acoustic country and Bluegrass music and have heard a lot of his playing. I think he is at his best on Kelly Willis's "Easy"

Here is his arsenal:

http://www.bryansutton.com/brs_instruments.cfm [/quote

Well thanks for posting this guy. I listened to his clips on Amazon and your right, he is awesome. I especially like Beaumont Rag because that is a song i'm about to tackle.

I also like Ron Block and Dan Taminski. Don Crary is another great flatpicker.

I have been practicing from a DVD I just bought from Mike Dowling. I'de have to say he is my new favorite. He plays mostly an archtop guitar, On his lessons he is breaking down Beaumont Rag. That will keep me busy for awhile. Great teacher though.

• Members

Originally posted by KATMAN

Phil Keaggy is an awesome acoustic player. When playing live,he actually changes alternate tunings while playing,amazing.

Phil is the best Ive ever seen....Laurence Juber is no slouch either