Epiphone (masterbilt) New // OR // Taylor 210e Used

racoustic

• Members

Hi all,

This is my first post. I currently have an Ibanez V70CE and have been playing only for about a couple of years. Now I am thinking of upgrading my guitar. Been doing some research online and in-store and this is what I have in mind.

Looking for opinions on what guitars I should look at given my needs and preferable price range.

I am looking for acoustic-electric for sure. I would prefer a cutaway. Preferred price range is up to $600.

I actually like my Ibanez with elixir nanoweb... they really sound good. I play rock, blues, alternative - mainly strumming and chords ; very little finger-picking.

What are some of my good guitar options? New or Used.

Also, I came across 3 guitars that I liked

(a) Epi ej 200 ce (loved the sound when I was guitar center - in my honest opinion). but have read bad reviews about this one and the jumbo size was a bit of a pain after playing for a few mins. It is about 450 + case separate

(b) Epi Masterbilt (ae) the one at guitar center didn't sound that great but have read great reviews and is right in my price range for a new one. 600 + Case separate

© Came across a USED Taylor 210e (no cutaway .. bump) But it barely looked used. No visible issues - great action - felt great while playing. It is costing me 600 including case at a good local store.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

• Members

Though I don't currently own one, I've thoroughly enjoyed every Masterbilt I've ever played. Rich, full-bodied tone combined excellent build quality and playability - lots of git for the bucks. Can't say the same for Taylor. They simply sound too jangly and generic for my taste, though they are well built guitars.

• Members

Apples and Oranges. Completely different sound from a Masterbilt and a Taylor. The Taylor will be brighter, or "jangly" as Sammy said. The Masterbilt is quite bassy in comparison. They are darker than Martins also. Quality of construction will be better on Taylor, although the Epi is pretty darned good.

It probably depends more on your style and preference. I couldn't possible say one is better than the other. Its like asking which is better, a Hummer or a Cadillac - you just cannot do a valid comparisons as they are so different.

• Members

Welcome to the forum, racoustic.

I'm not much of a Taylor guitar fan until you get up into the higher end models that I can't afford anyway. My vote would go for the Epiphone.......but.........have you looked at the new "A" series Yamahas? If not, I'd definitely put them on the list of guitars to consider. I haven't been able to play one yet, but if past experience with Yamaha guitars is any gauge to go by, the new Yamaha "A's" are going to be hot selling items. I'd also consider looking at the Yamaha "L" series.

Your budget is right at the point where you've got tons of options. Don't be too quick to pull the trigger. Take your time and you'll find the perfect guitar. (If there is such an animal.)

• Members

Thanks all. Looks like there is a little more weight towards the epi masterbilt. I called the local gc and they have a new DR 500MCE (cutaway) in stock that I will check out today. I have never owned a solid wood guitar. Do I need to take significant 'additional' care of the all solid wood guitar? I have read about humidifiers etc.

I may end up paying only about 500 for the DR 500MCE given they are running some discounts today. I think if I like the sound, it is perhaps a better deal that the used taylor 210e for 600.

• Members

Do I need to take significant 'additional' care of the all solid wood guitar? I have read about humidifiers etc.

If you live in a dry climate or you use a heater in the winter, you should humidify any acoustic that has a solid top. Otherwise, solid wood guitars are really no more finicky or fragile than laminates, in my experience. I'm in central Texas, where it's pretty darn humid most of the year. I always keep my guitars in their cases and humidify them in the winter months.

• Members

So I visisted the local GC to check out the masterbilt DR500MCE and I liked it. The strings on the new one suck but the playability was great. Just then I stumbled on a Breedlove Atlas (http://breedlovemusic.com/studio-d25sme.html) d25 which was on clearance at a super price of 570 (Free gigbag). Epi Masterbilt was 499 (after father's day discount) + case separate.

TBH I felt the breedlove sounded richer in tone - louder low notes and sustain yet same crisp high notes as the masterbilt (and you folks were right - after playing these 2 for some time, taylor 1 and 2 series sounds a bit jangly.... although I still like that sound when its plugged. Unplugged these two guitars beat the taylor easy). However, one catch - I felt the action on the breedlove was a bit high ... bump ... if that wasn't the case, I probably would have said overall it was better than the epi.. bump

Do you have any thoughts on the breedlove and its comparison with Epi masterbit??

Thank you so much folks!

• Members

Either the Masterbilt or the Breedlove would serve you well. As for the higher action on the Breedlove, most new guitars will benefit from what's called a "setup." The tech will adjust the action and other aspects of the guitar such as the relief so that it plays as easily as possible. Most of us hereabouts do our own setups but they're not prohibitively expensive either.

• Members

I own a 210ce, and I have no regrets. I bought mine new from Sweetwater in 2008 for $880 (on sale). Yesterday, I added an American Breedlove to my arsonal, and it too is good. The Taylor has served me well, and it will be a back-up guitar on stage. I'll probably still use it for bluegrass too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had several expensive Martins before but always got rid of em sooner or later, for one reason or another. This time I played an Epiphone Masterbuilt 500R and I just love it!

Somehow, Epi has figured out how to manufacture new guitars that sound like vintage instruments and the workmanship is first rate. Better IMO, than anything I've played in a long time and the MOP inlay and finish is perfect. The guitar already had a perfect set-up and I only paid $500 otd without case.

Play some guitars but don't sell Epiphone short!

• Members

To be fair, you'd really need to hear the Masterbilt with new strings.

This. I'm the proud owner of a new Epi MB EF-500R as of yesterday. It had dead strings on it and the neck need a little adjusting. Once I had the dealer fix these, the guitar sounded incredible. Highly recommend the MB's but try first....

I also like Taylors, but as has been said already they are a different animal from he Epi MB's. Despite the relatively inexpensive price, I think the MB compares more to at least the Taylor 300 series, then you're comparing solid wood to solid wood.

Archived