For the Collector Who Has Everything: Mr. Green Jeans' Martin

bluzboy

• Members

Just saw this on Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2470651047.html

This is a 1962 Martin Guitar That was owned by Mr Green jeans from the kids show Captain Kangaroo. He bought it new in 1962 and used it several times over the years on the show. It is a 1962 martin 00-16C, serial number is 186116. I have a letter of authenticity from his wife that goes with it as well as an autographed picture of Mr. Green Jeans. There are signs of minor wear on the guitar, but overall the guitar is in very good condition. I took this guitar to the luthier, Flip Scipio for a setup one month ago. (the Luthier who setup Paul McCartney's Hoffner bass and who also maintains Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan's guitars....YouTube 'Talking Guitars".) I have the receipt for that as well. Flip charged $341 to setup the guitar. The intonation is perfect and it's a very open sounding gut string guitar. I am losing money on this sale, however I have a new baby and must liquidate. You can see it at either at my home on the UWS, or at my recording studio on the LES. It's a special guitar with the original hardshell case.

3n23k53p25V35Q35W4b6u5a6e67c12ad41231.jp3nc3kd3m55V25Q55S1b6ucd91e78b40e1154e.jp

• Members

Elucidation:

Hugh BrannumFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Mr. Green Jeans)

Jump to: navigation, search

Hugh Brannum

Born January 5, 1910(1910-01-05)

Sandwich, Illinois, U.S.

Died April 19, 1987(1987-04-19) (aged 77)

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania .

Other names Lumpy

Years active 1951-1984

Hugh Brannum (January 5, 1910 - April 19, 1987) was an American vocalist, arranger, composer and actor best known for his role as "Mr. Green Jeans" on the children's television show Captain Kangaroo. During his days with Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians, he used his childhood nickname "Lumpy."[1]

[edit] Early lifeBrannum was born in Sandwich, Illinois in 1910 to a Methodist minister. He attended Maine Township High School in suburban Chicago where he played sousaphone in the school's marching band, later learning the bass violin.[2]

He went to college at University of Redlands, where he became interested in jazz; after graduation, he played bass in various bands.[2]

[edit] CareerDuring World War II, he enlisted in the US Marine Corps and joined a Marine band led by Bob Crosby.[3][4] After the war, he joined the Four Squires, later moving to Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians; Waring's group had a regular radio show, where Hugh met Bob Keeshan, an employee at the station who would later hire Brannum for Captain Kangaroo.

Before his time on Captain Kangaroo he hosted a local children's TV series called Uncle Lumpy's Cabin, seen weekday mornings on WABC-TV Ch. 7 in New York City during the 1951 season.[1]

Mr. Green Jeans earned his moniker from his distinctive apparel, a pair of farmer's overalls (later, jeans and a denim jacket) in his signature green. He was a talented and inquisitive handyman who provided assistance at the Treasure House. He frequently visited the Captain with the latest addition to his menagerie of zoo animals.

Aside from Mr. Green Jeans, Brannum played a number of characters on Captain Kangaroo from 1955 to 1984 , including The Professor, Greeno The Clown, The Old Folk Singer, and Mr. Bainter the Painter. His role as Mr. Green Jeans was partly based on stories about a farm kid named "Little Orley" that he told with the Fred Waring orchestra, on the radio and on 78-rpm records under the pseudonym "Uncle Lumpy". According to Bob Keeshan, Mr. Green Jeans was an extension of Brannum's real personality. The shows were performed before a live audience. During one episode of Captain Kangaroo, a lion cub bit Brannum's finger and drew blood. Brannum stuck his bleeding hand into his pocket and never broke character for the remainder of the episode.[2][5][6]

[edit] DeathBrannum died of cancer in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania in 1987.[7]

[edit] Popular cultureA long-running but incorrect rumor claims Brannum was the father of musician Frank Zappa, apparently because of a Zappa composition titled "Son of Mr. Green Genes" on his 1969 album, Hot Rats.[8]

Mentioned, along with Bob Keeshan, in the Jim Lehrer novel The Phony Marine.[9]

[edit] DiscographySoloist and/or Composer and/or Arranger, as Hugh (Lumpy) Brannum, on the following Fred Waring recordings:[10]

Get Well

Little Orley and His Coonskin Cap

Little Orley and His Fly-Frog-Fish Orchestra

Little Orley and the Cricket

Little Orley and the Happy Bird

Little Orley and the Haunted House

Little Orley and the Little Engine

Little Orley's Barn Dance

Little Orley's Big Concert

Little Orley-His Adventures as a Worm

Little Orley-His Adventures with Dr. Feather

Little Orley-His Adventures with the Cloud

Little Orley-His Adventures with the Parade

Orley and the Bubble Gum

Orley and the Bull Fiddle

Orley and the Ivy

Orley and the Moon

Orley and the Pancake

The Little Rhumba Numba

Biography portal

World War II portal

United States Marine Corps portal

[edit] References

• Members

$1400? Jump on it, bluzboy....sounds like a bargain to me. Sit on it for about 10 years and probably triple your money. Better than money in the bank!

I'd love to. But my wife would surely divorce me if I did ($1400 is a serious sum in our house).

ETA: I'm betting what little I have that Sangemon snaps this up.

Archived