When Do you Know You Need New Frets?

Siwash

• Members

Look at them from the side and the top. If they're really noticeably shorter or more flattened than the frets higher up on the neck (whichever ones you play on the least) then they're worn out. A caliper/depth gauge might help.

• Members

Ha,ha! When I take them to the guitar tech do get the frets dressed because of string buzz, and he says, "Dude, there's nothing left to dress, and the finish is gone between the frets, as well". I eat frets, the Telecaster I gig on is on it's 5th set. This last time I had SS frets put in. He says I won't have to change those again. They look like the day he put them on 2 years later.

Really... When the frets get worn to a point, if you bend strings much, you push more wood the thinner the fret are. (as when worn down) If you don't bend strings much, just taking the guitar to someone to adjust the neck and dress the frets can make a huge difference. Alot cheaper than a fret job as well.

• Members

Ha,ha! When I take them to the guitar tech do get the frets dressed because of string buzz, and he says, "Dude, there's nothing left to dress, and the finish is gone between the frets, as well". I eat frets, the Telecaster I gig on is on it's 5th set. This last time I had SS frets put in. He says I won't have to change those again. They look like the day he put them on 2 years later.

Really... When the frets get worn to a point, if you bend strings much, you push more wood the thinner the fret are. (as when worn down) If you don't bend strings much, just taking the guitar to someone to adjust the neck and dress the frets can make a huge difference. Alot cheaper than a fret job as well.

+1

For me a guitar needs taller frets when I bend and the string feels like it's trying to slip out from under my fingertip.

• Members

Amen, brother. If you DO get a refret job, consider using jumbo bass frets. More bang for the buck, you're fingers will adjust within a week, and it just might last for the life of the guitar. Nut adjustment should be included in the price, usually don't need a bridge saddle adjustment.

• Members

I've been considering SS frets next refretting, myself.

• Members

Yea, they feel really slippery. I love them as well. Its funny alot of guys told me they make the guitar sound more trebley. I asked the guitar tech about this, and he said, "yea, maybe a little. Do you have tone controls on your amp?" I looked down at my feet and said,"ah...yea). That guitar screams!

I've been gigging alot on the new Martin 000-15m I got. I bet those frets don't last long. I wonder if they'd ruin that guitar. I mean I mostly play it amplified. IDK.

• Members

I suspect my Larrivee is ready for a new set. I don't do much string bending but the "cash register" region of the neck shows some visible wear underneath the top 4 strings. Not that they were any good to begin with. The OEM frets Larrivee uses are nickle and they don't dress the ends well at all either.

I'll have to check out some SS frets for it. Has anybody here ever done their own?

• Members

Yes. One of the sets on my tele I did myself. Was not easy, had to buy more tools than I thought, took way longer than I thought. It was sort of a nightmare. SS would be the worst to try as a 1st I think. Very hard material.

I'll try my hand at it again some day, on a beater guitar.

I suspect my Larrivee is ready for a new set. I don't do much string bending but the "cash register" region of the neck shows some visible wear underneath the top 4 strings. Not that they were any good to begin with. The OEM frets Larrivee uses are nickle and they don't dress the ends well at all either.

I'll have to check out some SS frets for it. Has anybody here ever done their own?

Archived