Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound hole pickup for 3/4 size guitar?

I have an inexpensive 3/4 size acoustic guitar and would like to install a sound hole pickup in it. I ordered a Seymour Duncan unit, and there is no way it's going to fit in that sound hole. Returned it and don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to be able to play it through an acoustic amp I have.The sound hole is about 3 5/16" in diameter.

Thanks, Jon
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Jon in Puyallup, Wa USA</div>

I had the same problem. I enlarged the sound hole though. Works now. Sounds good too.

Comment

I don't think I'd trust myself to enlarge the sound hole in the guitar. By the time I got done, I might just have a pile of fire wood.

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Woody that I had. I ended up grinding down the pick-up until it fit.

Mel
        <div class="signaturecontainer">AKA &quot;SuperChunk&quot;</div>

Comment

Get a Lawrence, preferably a FT-145 (great sounding mag!)...these'll fit in pretty much ANY sized soundhole, from 3" on up to 4.5" and larger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Lawrence-FT145-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup-/250904865702?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a6b18 6ba6
          God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Lawrence FT145. If that's a full sized sound hole in the photo, it looks like it should fit a smaller one. Mine is about 3 5/16". I thought of grinding or cutting down the Woody pickup, but then I mentioned that to the guy at Musicians Friend, and he said that might not be best as the pickup was designed for a certain string spacing. I don't want to drop too much money on this rig, as it's only a $90 guitar. I wanted one I could use trrough my acoustic amp should I get up the guts to play in front of people again.

jon

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Lawrence FT145. If that's a full sized sound hole in the photo, it looks like it should fit a smaller one. Mine is about 3 5/16". I thought of grinding or cutting down the Woody pickup, but then I mentioned that to the guy at Musicians Friend, and he said that might not be best as the pickup was designed for a certain string spacing. I don't want to drop too much money on this rig, as it's only a $90 guitar. I wanted one I could use trrough my acoustic amp should I get up the guts to play in front of people again.

jon

Think you'll like the FT-145...I used them in Guild jumbos, a couple Gibsons and a Gianninni Craviola, which has a oddly-shaped sound-hole, as shown:

Worked equally well in each.
              God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Working...
              X