No announcement yet.

The Koa Twins go lap dancing

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Koa Twins go lap dancing

Earlier this year I built two Weissenborn style guitar, one for a friend and local musician Mike Bills and one for myself. They are lovely curvy little things, all koa and maple

Here is Mike playing his

The are identical twins, made from the same piece of wood, same mold, same scale - everything, with one exception - one is braced in the traditional style with a big X, fairly big bridge plate and ladder braces

while the other Twin has more modern tone bars and is a little more scalloped

While Mike was at my house I asked him to play both and I recorded him (and them). I just started the little Zoom and let it run, these are clipped out of about 2 hours of jamming. Since he plays his plugged in we moved the soundhole pickup between them and did a little electric jamming too. Here are the clips in open G, open D and with the pickup in D.

No2 _G.mp3

No1_D.mp3

No1 _ Elec.mp3

Made me want to go down to the Delta
    "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

Comment

I tried to listen closely for any differences, and I couldn't really hear any. Only the first two recordings seemed to give a good sense of the tone. Both sounded great to me.
      Frog Rock Tenor Uke
      Frog Rock 00-12
      The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
      If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
      Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
      De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

Hey, that's cool, never heard one of that style git. Great job.
        :::

Bill

Comment

Made me want to go down to the Delta

Makes me wanna learn lap.. (not dancing)
          ------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.youtube.com/user/MrOddmanout1

Comment

Kinda figured they'd sound as good as they look...Freeman, you are an artist and a luthier...

Many are one or the other, but only a few are both.
            God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Freeman, Wow, they did turn out Nice!
              So glad you shared! (Gotta admit they sounded pretty much alike to my worn out ears as well)
              CapersI always knew I was Undecided, but now I am not so sureGreat acoustic Pick Ups at Reasonable priceshttp://www.jjb-electronics.com/our_products.html

Comment

Both look and sound gorgeous! No. 1 sounds a bit brighter to me overall, No. 2 a little darker and broodier. Pretty subtle, though. Two amazing pieces of work. You should be very proud, FK.
                I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

Very cool looking guitars Freeman. Just out of curiosity have you ever tried to fixture the guitar in such a way as if there is nothing touching the back and then play or record the instrument then compare that tone to the sound of it being played in the normal "lap position"? I know this is a very unconventional thought but it would be interesting to see if there was any discernible difference in the tone or projection with the back being damped or not..
                  tim...
                  www.mcknightguitars.com

Comment

Very cool looking guitars Freeman. Just out of curiosity have you ever tried to fixture the guitar in such a way as if there is nothing touching the back and then play or record the instrument then compare that tone to the sound of it being played in the normal "lap position"? I know this is a very unconventional thought but it would be interesting to see if there was any discernible difference in the tone or projection with the back being damped or not..

Thank you, Tim. No, mainly because I can't see much point in doing that. These things were meant to be played on your lap - there really isn't any other way and whatever dampening comes from sitting on my fat belly is just part of the picture. As you know, they don't even have frets - they are just strips of maple inlayed to show position.

I have fooled around with my other resonators which I can play both lap and Spanish style - any observations there would be colored by the fact that in one case the cone is facing away from you, in the other it is literally in your face. I really don't detect any significant change in the sound.

And Tim, since you haven't been around much, I've got to show off the one that I'm really proud of - here is the Koa Twins big brother

Comment

Is there anywhere that two deltas meet at a crossroads?

If so I would intend there directly after burglarizing FKs guitar collection.
                      Please give me talent and patience - lots and soon.

HCAG Civil Posters Society Charter Member 005. Ignoring yer man permanently.

Comment

Working...
                      X