thumb pick vs. flat pick

smokeynichol

• Members

Anyone out there stick with the thumb pick as opposed to just a regular flat pick when strummimg/picking. I've heard over the years that a thumb pick is rather hard on the bridge-anyone experience that?? could you have more control in the picking using a thumb pick??

You could have more control, or not. Kottke use to use a thumpick, but stopped due to tendon issues. If you play an old National, it has been recommended to use a thumbpick as not using one puts too much pressure on the cone. I do not use a thumbpick on 3 newer Nationals though.

More natural for me to use a flatpick when... well, flatpicking.

• Members

I don't use one or the other exclusively, but for most of this year, it's been flatpicks and fingernails mostly. Started getting acrylics on my picking hand when I broke a nail halfway up the quick one day and needed to get it fixed. Like 'em so much that I just haven't let 'em grow out and go back to natural. They were always breaking and chipping before. Now, there's hardly ever a problem worth talking about. So, if I'm fingerpicking, I just use my thumbnail where I used to use a thumbpick.

• Members

Never grew accustomed to a thumbpick.

Maybe it's just because I grew up using flatpicks? Dunno, but I just can't get used to thumbpicks.

I find them too hard, too stubborn and too inflexible.

With a flatpick, I have more control about the attack and I can change the relative stiffness, depending on where I grip it, all things I can't do with a thumbpick.

• Members

Never grew accustomed to a thumbpick.

Maybe it's just because I grew up using flatpicks? Dunno, but I just can't get used to thumbpicks.

I find them too hard, too stubborn and too inflexible.

With a flatpick, I have more control about the attack and I can change the relative stiffness, depending on where I grip it, all things I can't do with a thumbpick.

Ever try a Fred Kelly Slick Pick? Think you would like it a lot, as this pick addresses your concerns perfectly.

slick_pick.jpg

If you can't find one there in Eire, let me know and I'll send you an early Xmas gift. :)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I just recently converted to using thumb picks on acoustic. Really happy with the sound for fingerstyle pieces. I tried out a few thumb picks, including the Bumblee and Slick Pick mentioned above. Really happy with the Fred Kelly Speed Pick and Herco Medium. I made some notes after trying out some different picks here: http://www.theguitarjournal.com/thumb-picks-fingerpicking/

Jesse

• Members

Not accepting your own timeless celebrity is a quiet strength of yours, Neal. Seriously. You are a music man first, chatsman second but that for which you chat has worth. The key to humility is to accept bestowals of compliment graciously, with a respectful nod and allow its quiet magic to remain a living part of the thread. Why not talk through its recent revival with evolved contribution since your last experience, if any, while enjoying a nice glass of low-fat milk with Vanilla Wafers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Nice review. If I played bass more often I'd probably use a thumb pick since I use both fingers and pick. . . .

Okay, if anyone cares I bought a selection of Speed Picks for playing bass and I like the thin version with the medium running second. I also tried a Herco heavy but didn't care for it. I'l try the thin and medium as soon as I can. I agree with theguitarjournal that all the thumb picks I tried were poor choices for strumming; something about the angle and the heaviness of my strumming attack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

After trying various picks, I like the thin Speed Pick. I also tried thin, medium, and heavy Herco nylons and thin and medium Herco acetate picks. The Speed Pick remains my favorite. Among other things it fits my thumb best. But a couple of the Hercos are pretty good too.

• Members
Can't pick fast with a thin pick. YMMV.

I can't pick fast with any pick so it doesn't matter. I choose based on the sound and how it feels when I'm playing. That means Dunlop .60mm nylon on acoustic and so far Dava Control Pick for electric and occasionally bass.

Archived