Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when was the term "acoustic guitar" first used?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when was the term "acoustic guitar" first used?

Prior to the 30's, were they just referred to as.... guitars?
    Campbell UK-1
    http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
    https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

I'm guessin' when the first electric guitar came out.
    "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

Comment

Back in the late 50s and early 60s I'm pretty sure they were just referred to as "Spanish" or "Flat Top" guitars. And I seem to remember that the arch top guitars were called "F Hole" guitars.

I'm just going on memory though. Could be wrong.
      Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

^Can you remember the first wheel?
        "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

Comment

What was high-tech called before the digital age? Just tech?

Comment

Back in the late 50s and early 60s I'm pretty sure they were just referred to as "Spanish" or "Flat Top" guitars. And I seem to remember that the arch top guitars were called "F Hole" guitars.

I'm just going on memory though. Could be wrong.

Apparently the guy who stole my lunch money back in grade school was an arch top guitar....
            Campbell UK-1

NEA Klon Klone

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

In the 1960s, I recall acoustic guitars being called "guitars" and electric guitars being called "electric guitars", but I also remember arch-top guitars being called "arch-tops" or "semi-hollow-bodies" in music stores. At least my favorite shop at the time (Coyle Music), that's the way it was.
              The secret of man's creative power is imagination.

Comment

Why yes, I can...got the showroom demo (at a most handsome price, I'll add) from Og Mastodon-killer's Westside location!

Sadly, my first Missus was kinda hard on it...

God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Remember it!? Hell.......I invented it! Right after I invented dirt. I sold my first wheel to TAH.

I'm old enough that I even remember what tornados sounded like before trains were invented.
                  Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

I remember back in the sixties referring to acoustic guitars as "folk guitars". I had thought the term acoustic was coined not to differentiate between acoustics and electrics, but steel string acoustics and classical guitars. But heck ... who knows?
                    Bob.
                    Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

In the 1960s, I recall acoustic guitars being called "guitars" and electric guitars being called "electric guitars" . . . .

Yeah, that's how I remember it too when I was a lad back then.
                      Howard

Comment

I'm old enough that I even remember what tornados sounded like before trains were invented.

I LOL'd!
                        Campbell UK-1

NEA Klon Klone

Comment

Used the term "acoustic guitar" in the 70's ...
                          "Plunk your Magic Twanger, Froggy". Andy Devine

Comment

What was high-tech called before the digital age? Just tech?

Science Fiction.
                            Jack1969 Martin D12-20 12-string1984 Martin HD-28

Comment

Apparently the guy who stole my lunch money back in grade school was an arch top guitar....

Oh, you're killing me here!!!!

Stop it!!!!

This here is my music what I make with my mouth and instruments and such

Comment

Working...
                              X