How do I do this???

Jersey Jack

• Members

Here's Jason Isbell performing "Decoration Day" solo on acoustic guitar. Jason does a solo break beginning around 2:20 and continuing for about a minute, and this is exactly the kind of thing I want to learn how to do. I suspect he's playing in an alternative tuning, but I'm not sure. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have about how Jason does this lead break and how I might develop (eventually) this kind of skill.

[video=youtube;doFfc-BCLXw]

• Members

Definitely standard tuning. That's a nice bit of playing, because it illustrates a few different ways to cover a solo break when playing by yourself. Starting at 2:20, he's really just doing the chord progression, with some interesting voicings with open strings ringing. So to do that first bit, learn your inversions up and down the neck. At 2:56, he's playing the descending bass line from the chord progression, then doing your basic "blues box" soloing , again hitting the open strings as they apply. Finally, around 3:10, he's pretty much doing a Carter style 1st position hammer-on runs. Start with the "Lester Flatt G Run" and work from there.

• Members

Thanks to you all for taking the time to look at the video and respond. I've been working hard at developing the ability to take a break while playing solo, and I've made progress when it comes to steady alternating bass patterns--Steve Earle-style Travis picking and acoustic blues; but strumming and using open string drone notes while playing leads...that sh*t's hard! :freak:

Archived