X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J45
    Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Comment

Which do YOU like the most?
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Knut E Evenmo before the great update</div>

Comment

Which do YOU like the most?

Oh that's the problem hehe... I love what I'd describe as the workhorse minimalism/classic image of the J-45, as well as the tone of course. To me it's a really "meat and potatoes" guitar, fits like an old pair of good jeans.

At the same time, the Hummingbird makes my heart go pitter-patter every time I see one. It has for years. I feel like it has a very different kind of character: flashy, brash, exciting, while still having a great history.

If all things (meaning prices) were equal, I'd probably go for the Hummingbird... The J-45 I'm looking at is about half the price of the Hummingbird I have my eye on. BUT even if I did that, I'd still miss the J-45. If I chose the J-45, I'd miss having the chance to pull the trigger on the Hummingbird.

I guess I could sell my AC-30, and get both? Hmm... These are the thoughts that plague my mind haha.

Comment

I found a great J-45 about three years ago and haven't looked back since. Sold my Martin D-35 as a result, and bought a Martin OM-21. Between the J-45 and the OM-21, I pretty much have my acoustic bases covered. I can get lost in my J-45 for hours. Doesn't matter how you play it, and no matter how hard you strum or hit it, it just never gives up and keeps giving more. I think that's why you see a lot of them on stage.

So my vote is for the J-45, particularly your history with that particular guitar. You're lucky to get it back.

Comment

Oh that's the problem hehe... I love what I'd describe as the workhorse minimalism/classic image of the J-45, as well as the tone of course. To me it's a really "meat and potatoes" guitar, fits like an old pair of good jeans.

At the same time, the Hummingbird makes my heart go pitter-patter every time I see one. It has for years. I feel like it has a very different kind of character: flashy, brash, exciting, while still having a great history.

If all things (meaning prices) were equal, I'd probably go for the Hummingbird... The J-45 I'm looking at is about half the price of the Hummingbird I have my eye on. BUT even if I did that, I'd still miss the J-45. If I chose the J-45, I'd miss having the chance to pull the trigger on the Hummingbird.

I guess I could sell my AC-30, and get both? Hmm... These are the thoughts that plague my mind haha.

Haha, I understand 100%. To make the choice/priority if you have the funds for one of them can be terrible in a good way. I like "understated" guitars myself, so the J-45 would be up my alley.

It's like a Jackson Randy Rhoads. I think it is a very cool electric guitar, and was played/developed by one of my favorite rock guitar players. It still wouldn't be the right guitar for me. I'm about twice as big as Randy was, and have short hair It wouldn't, in my eyes, look or feel right on me.

Can you make some similar thoughts about one of the two you're eyeing? Are you "a J-45" or "a Hummingbird"?

Comment

Between those two, I would go for the third option: J-45 Rosewood.

The hog J-45 and the Hummingbird are so similar - both short scale hog/Sitka gits. Both awesome, and I'd be happy as a pig in **************** to own either model. But since I cannot be objective about this, I'm going to suggest that you go for what would be MY preference: a J-45 Rose.

Try one out, man. Do it.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.<br><br><br><br><br><br>I.K.F.C.<br><br>E.S .C.<br><br>Potato Society<br><br>SAWG</div>

Comment

Haha, I understand 100%. To make the choice/priority if you have the funds for one of them can be terrible in a good way. I like "understated" guitars myself, so the J-45 would be up my alley.

It's like a Jackson Randy Rhoads. I think it is a very cool electric guitar, and was played/developed by one of my favorite rock guitar players. It still wouldn't be the right guitar for me. I'm about twice as big as Randy was, and have short hair It wouldn't, in my eyes, look or feel right on me.

Can you make some similar thoughts about one of the two you're eyeing? Are you "a J-45" or "a Hummingbird"?

That's a really interesting question, I'm not sure which one I'd describe myself as... What would you say the distinction between a "Hummingbird" and a "J-45" person would be?

Comment

Good suggestion, I'll check one out!

Just wondering, how related are a J-45 Rosewood and that Advanced Jumbo Pro that Guitar Center started carrying a few months ago?

Comment

That's a really interesting question, I'm not sure which one I'd describe myself as... What would you say the distinction between a "Hummingbird" and a "J-45" person would be?

Hummingbird- Dolly Parton
                    J-45 -David Allan Coe.

Just kidding btw... sorta.
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrOddmanout1

Comment

Good suggestion, I'll check one out!

Just wondering, how related are a J-45 Rosewood and that Advanced Jumbo Pro that Guitar Center started carrying a few months ago?

Not very. The Advanced Jumbo (I'm not familiar with the Pro model) is an unbelievably great guitar on its own merits. It has a longer scale than the J-45 and is a seriously loud powerhouse of a git. I love the model, but because I like to sing I kind of prefer the short scale of the J-45, which I think of as mellower and a bit broodier. Totally subjective... I really love all of Gibson's slope-shoulder dreads. In the end I think it'd be just about impossible for you to go wrong with any version of the J-45, Hummingbird (more of a square shoulder deal) or Advanced Jumbo... or hell, throw in the Southern Jumbo... All amazing guitars, IMHO.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.<br><br><br><br><br><br>I.K.F.C.<br><br>E.S .C.<br><br>Potato Society<br><br>SAWG</div>

Comment

sorta.

There is kind of a girly element, isn't there? I guess it wouldn't stop me... but I'd be kind of naggingly aware of it...

Comment

There is kind of a girly element, isn't there?

Never thought about that, but you're right. The Dove, too... kinda frilly.

Comment

I can't really do that for others (that I don't know very well), I did it with the Rhoads vs. ESP Eclipse issue I had The OP probably has some personal "feelings" about either guitar. Because what I see in those different models might not be what he does.
                            I'm big, ugly, have a grizzled half-beard most of the time, and dress in t-shirts, woollen sweaters in winter and jeans. That, to me, is more a J-45 than a Hummingbird. Less refined in appearance, like the guitar... Does that make any sense at all?

Sound-wise, they're both great, but the OP is probably also aware of this. I read it as if he wanted some input on the feel of each guitar. I might be very mistaken, though. I did not read it as if he needed any help with deciding which was the best quality

Comment

Going up the food chain is very exspensive in the long run - i see it on the forum all the time a 300 dollar guitar to a 700 dollar guitar to a 1000 dollar -you get the idea -when you get done you could of bought two decent instruments with all you invested ( plus your giving away low end guitars pretty much ). Buy what you really want as close to the top of the food chain and get a great guitar from the get go and you'll save yourself allot of money and agravation. When i was about 20 i made the move and never regretted it . Buy either guitar -which one sounds better to you ? - and have a lifetime guitar !

Comment

Working...
                              X