clip onto headstock tuners

nice keetee

• Members

They have one biiig disadvantage: They are way too handy.

I bought 3 - well knowing that I will lose/forget/misplace them.

But they are great, no fuss. They allow you to tune even onstage and even in noisy environments. I prefer them over the tuners built into modern day preamps.

• Members

They are handy but fragile. I tend to use it and then put it back in my pocket when I am done simply because I have seen too many of them get knocked of the headstock and broken. I have yet to lose mine. I have accidentally left it on and killed the battery...:mad: I also have two other tuners as well. A Behringer TU100 Chromatic Tuner which is basically a clone of the Boss TU-3 floor pedal style tuner and a cheap generic mini LED screen tuner that has a built in mic and input for electric guitar. I find it's the most accurate of all and I think it cost $8. You can never have too many tuners I guess...:idk:

• Members

Some good, some convenient, some not so good, some not so convenient. Snark, Intelli-500(or it's counterparts) Good, convenient. Peterson Stroboclip, great if you like extreme tuning and know how to work around a strobe-like interface, but pricey at 55-65 bucks. Snark is cheap though, and last long and work well.

• Members

The diamond shaped one is not real accurate (Intelli 500, also found with other names)

The triangle shaped one is pretty good (Pitch Pocket)

I really like the oblong one but it's kind of pricey (Peterson)

I tried the round one belonging to a friend and it's pretty good too (Snark)

• Members

Handy, but you will grow dependent on them, and become unable to tune without them. Tune the old fashioned way occasionally.

My experience has been that that's only true of the folks who couldn't tune in the first place.

Thankfully, they can use tuners now. Hopefully, they'll make a habit of it. :)

• Members

It's been mentioned by a few people that tuners are not always accurate - which is true. But it's easy to calibrate them using the concert pitch facility (most clip-ons have this facility - usually a button marked A:440Hz).

All you need to do is use a tuning fork or an on-line one (eg. http://www.onlinetuningfork.com/ ). Test the reading of your tuner using its microphone against the tone of the fork. If it is out, adjust the concert pitch up or down (the adjusters are often marked "mode" but are sometime arrows) until the reading is OK.

• Members

Another vote for the Snark. So much more convenient.

I use a Snark as well. I have tried others, but like the snark the best. I do find that I have to make minor "by ear" adjustments after using the tuner.

The snark is a chromatic tuner as many others are as well. Some ARE NOT! Make sure you get a chromatic tuner if you plan on using alternate tunings.

Archived