Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Which Hand Do You Use to Type the Letter "B"?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But look at the bright side, Bob......you probably got to share your office with the "top kick"!

I remember those typewriters from back then. Some of them looked like "leftovers" from WW-II.

Actually John, I was really the guy in power I could make or break anybody by what I did or didn't do! All those typewriters were manual too!!!
    Bob
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss
    -------------------------------
    Guild GAD JF-30
    Guild D212 12 Westerly,RI 1981
    Lyle Hummingbird
    Holloway Harp Guitar
    Lyle ES335
    HCAG Civil Posters Society #10
    My Music: http://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr

Comment

On my keyboard, B is right in the middle of the F and J, so it's no more of a reach for the right or left.

As to your "habit" statement, haven't you ever learned something the "right" way only to find it easier to do it "your" way?

I agree. I don't know how you can be typing on a keyboard and state that the B is too far from the right hand. It's dead center.

With that said, I use the left index.

Comment

I agree. I don't know how you can be typing on a keyboard and state that the B is too far from the right hand. It's dead center.

With that said, I use the left index.

I use the left index because that's what that old snaggle-toothed Mrs. Cherington said to do. And, if you didn't, she'd come down on the back of our neck with a 16" wooden ruler!! These kids today don't know how easy they've got it!!
        Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Clerk Type I and II, 8th and 9th grades. I touch type exclusively, at about 45-50 wpm most of the time. I did it because I wanted to learn to type properly. And there were girls in that class. Lots of them.

The "b" key is assigned to the left index finger. Doesn't matter how close it gets to the "j". That would just be wrong.
          My stuff:

Acoustics:
          Takamine GS330S
          Yamaha FG260
          Yamaha G60A
          Sigma SM-3
          Cheerfully cute and cheap Mexican Requinto (made in Paracho) that I keep at the office currently

The DarkSide:
          Fender Standard Stratocaster in Sunburst

I bought a Hohner Special 20

The only people who care about what you play are other guitar players. Everyone else just wants to hear music.
          -- Brewski

Comment

Looks like the majority of people use their left hand, which is kind of what I'd figured; if that's the way Microsoft designed the keyboard, that's probably the correct way to do it.

In any case, I learned to type when I was in grade school, and I can't recall which hand I was taught to use to type the letter "B." Probably the left hand, since that's what everyone else was taught. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first thing I've forgotten since grade school.
            Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3
            LHGCC Participant ~ Jimmy Caper

Comment

Glad we could help you sort this out, Chris.

Comment

Sigh. Seagull, just. Sigh.

The QWERTY keyboard was not designed by Microsoft.

It's been around since people used real typewriters. (I didn't go to a "keyboarding" class - I went to a typing class). 1878, brother. That's when it came out.

QWERTY - 1878

The ergonomic keyboard you were looking at is just following the standard layout.
                My stuff:

Acoustics:
                Takamine GS330S
                Yamaha FG260
                Yamaha G60A
                Sigma SM-3
                Cheerfully cute and cheap Mexican Requinto (made in Paracho) that I keep at the office currently

The DarkSide:
                Fender Standard Stratocaster in Sunburst

I bought a Hohner Special 20

The only people who care about what you play are other guitar players. Everyone else just wants to hear music.
                -- Brewski

Comment

Left index. I never learned to type, but it's become natural to me. I've used that kind of keyboard at work, and it took a few days to get used to, but after that, there was no different than using a normal one.
                  Knut E Evenmo before the great update

Comment

Left index. I never learned to type, but it's become natural to me. I've used that kind of keyboard at work, and it took a few days to get used to, but after that, there was no different than using a normal one.
                    Knut E Evenmo before the great update

Comment

LOL...I'd say 'left index finger' too, but then realised that since I've been in france, I've ajusted to a AZERTY keyboard (and yes I took typing lessons at school on a big manual typewriter and used my left). I hate switching between Azerty and Qwerty when I go home...!)
                      "You shouldn't make me sound like I'm knocking you....for someone who doesn't know how to play guitar, you play really well..."
                      (Yeah my GF again...)

Comment

Looks like the majority of people use their left hand, which is kind of what I'd figured; if that's the way Microsoft designed the keyboard, that's probably the correct way to do it.

In any case, I learned to type when I was in grade school, and I can't recall which hand I was taught to use to type the letter "B." Probably the left hand, since that's what everyone else was taught. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first thing I've forgotten since grade school.

Yeah, Microsoft invented the keyboard shortly after they invented teh Interwebz
                        Our QWERTY keyboard was laid out that way, because it should deliberately slow typists down. Early mechanical typewriters were "overtyped" quite easily by typists. So they designed this to prevent overtyping. There are better layouts around, DVORAK for instance, but old habits die hard.

Comment

Our QWERTY keyboard was laid out that way, because it should deliberately slow typists down. Early mechanical typewriters were "overtyped" quite easily by typists. So they designed this to prevent overtyping. There are better layouts around, DVORAK for instance, but old habits die hard.

Not necessarily designed to slow down the typist but designed to keep up with the typist without jamming.
                          - Rob

YouTube (GuiTuber)

Proud Member of the Alvarez Alliance & Yamaha Player's Guild

My modest collection:
                          Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
                          Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
                          Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

From the dark side:
                          Epiphone DOT (on loan from my good friend TESmith)

Recording gear:
                          Focusrite Saffire 6
                          MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

Comment

I'm one of those Dvorak layout freaks, so I said "right finger" for the B.
                            "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Left index finger, just like I was taught back in the 8th grade.

Short story. Toward the end of the 7th grade, as we were choosing our "electives" for the following year, a good friend of mine suggested that he and I choose "typing" as one of the subjects. I really didn't want to do it, thought it was dumb,but he talked me into it. Some of our buddies made fun of us. This was back in 1955 and "guys" just DIDN'T take typing!

When classes began the next fall, it didn't seem so dumb anymore after we found out that he and I were the only boys in the class......with ALL THOSE GIRLS!! One of the smartest things we ever did in school. These days, I'm really happy that I learned how to type properly. I hardly ever have to look down at the keyboard to type something.

At the same time......I HAVE run into several two-finger typists whose typing speed amazed me.

I did the same thing, taking "Typing" and also took "Office Machines" as fill in electives. In both classes I was the only guy. We started on manuals and then went to electrics after we learned to type correctly. I finished lower mid pack at 45wpm and am still there on a decent keyboard. This laptop is a different story.
                              I don't remember how fast the fastest typer was but her machine sounded like a machine gun.
                              Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

I think he means that particular bent keyboard in the OP, not that they invented keyboards.

Comment

Working...
                                X