First "Mudroom" prototype

MahaloVision

• Members

This one is actually #2, but first off the bench. It's a variant of a guitar I made years ago, updated with some test features to see how they work. It's designed to fit in a standard Strat gigbag. I've named it "Mudroom" since it's a small body guitar and "Parlor" or "Foyer" wouldn't seem appropriate.

Body is Peruvian Walnut, Khaya Mahogany Neck with Bolivian Rosewood fingerboard. Sitka top and bracing, Doug Fir X bracing on the back. Body join at 16th fret, Cumpiano-style knock down fastener attachment, fingerboard extension under the fretboard tongue. Finish is Target Coatings EM6000.

Numerous cosmetic issues that prevent it from being sellable, but it will make for a nice Christmas gift. Sound is an improvement over the original guitar it was modeled after, numerous changes that will be implemented in the next couple prototypes. The strings are held down with a carbon fibre rod, and while it looks like it could snap at any moment it actually holds tuning solidly. I had it stressed at a much higher force over the last couple nights and it had zero problem dealing with it. Might freak potential buyers out, though.

6551699125_d8ba618ff1_b.jpg

6551710297_8bfee6c0b3_b.jpg

• Members

Dude, I saw the tailpiece and was hooked. You should put a vid up of the sound.

I'm a fan of tailpiece guitars, especially ladder braced, which obviously yours is not. I have 3 Nationals, and a wonderful ladder braced 12 string Dell'Arte Leadbelly. Although my tailpieces are just metal. Go with it!!

• Members

Thanks. You guys are too kind!

I'm a fan of tailpiece guitars

Me, too. There's nothing wrong IMO with traditional or pinless bridges, but I like transferring the string tension to the tailblock and body instead of the top. Bracing can go lighter, too. I plan to modify the tailpiece setup a bit, although this test is working for now. This one has dramatically thinned lower x-braces, done as an experiment to see how it opens up the sound on the small body, and #1 is thinned as well but in a different way. It will be interesting to compare the two. #3 will have lower braces in a more traditional carve and fitted with a spruce bridge patch. The latter might not be necessary, but I'll test that later. #4 might have ladder bracing, but it's kinda punch as is. Eventually will have a nylon strung version of it.

Nice wood on the back/sides!

This is the first guitar I've made with Peruvian Walnut, and I'm not all that happy with it. It's a bit on the soft and fragile side, and filling the pores was no fun even with Crystalac. Nice and light, though. #1 was made out of Khaya and was much easier to deal with.

Archived