DSLR Camera way off topic.. but help needed.

baldbloke

• Members

Right, I know this is totally off topic. I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here.I need some advice on cameras and quick> My wife announced tonight she'd like a new camera for xmas. 4 days to go! Sheesh, that doesn't give me much time to do research. I posted the bit below on a camera forum a half hour ago. I don't know how busy that forum is so don't know how quick I'll get the info I need.

Can you guys advise me? Pleeeeeese.

This evening, my wife announced that she'd like a camera for christmas. Leaving it a bit late for me to do research in to what to go for. Myself, I know absolutely nothing about cameras. I'd be very grateful if you could offer me some advice.

A few years ago I got her a Minolta Dimage A2. She has been happy with this but I think it's a bit old technology wise now. I'm looking to get her a Digital SLR with option for interchangeable lenses. She would prefer that it was fairly compact. Recently she saw a tv advert (in the UK) for a camera with such a description. Can't remember who advertised it, what make it was or even what the advertised price was.

Anyway, can you kind folk help recommend a compact DSLR camera with option for interchangeable lenses? She enjoyed taking pictures of flowers, insects and horses jumping at shows.

I know you are going to ask me what my budget is. I really don't know what cameras cost these days. All I know is it must be an upgrade from a Minolta Dimage A2. How much of an upgrade? Well, price would dictate that, I'm afraid.

Any suggestions on what to look at or what I'd have to spend, Please?

• Members

Thanks Greymuzzle,

What's a kit lens? Is it an adjustable lense? (Edit: Wikipeadia gave methe gist. It's a sort of basic starter lens I think)

Are these cameras much better than a Dimage A2? Or lots better? I'm trying to get a reference for the cash vs upgrade . I could spend that. The Dimage A2 spec is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konica-Minolta-Dimage-Digital-Optical/dp/tech-data/B0001G6UAW/ref=de_a_smtd

And just to make it awkward, she says I mustn't spend too much on a present for her. Catch 22 or what? I don't mind spending it. I just need to get a better understanding of the quality of improvement .

I know I'm asking lots here but research time is limited

As for getting it in time for xmas, well, I may be soft hearted for her but if it's going to cost me Hundreds more just so I can present it on xmas day, then, I think she'll just have to wait a few more days.

• Members

I am not a professional photographer but I have a couple of friends who are. I would consider myself an intermediate picture taker - I do everything from macro (bugs and flowers) to nature to some action to documenting my guitar building. When I was looking at cameras a year ago it came down to Cannon vs Nikon, and my friends suggested one of the EOS Canons (T3i) with two lenses - 18 to 55 mm and 55 to 250. This has served me well, cost right at a grand (I'll let you do the conversion). There are several models of the EOS line, consider getting her one of the basic ones (T2 maybe) with a good lens - she can add other lens as the needs arise.

Things I like about the EOS are autofocus (you can turn it on or off) and the image stablizer - great for action or low light shots. The standard lens focus medium close but in not a true macro (that will be my next addition).

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

• Members

Thanks FK.

It looks like Canon and Nikon are the makes to go for then.

This camera claims to be compact. (And the price isn't too bad either) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-18-55-Lens-Kit/dp/product-description/B004MPQXZA/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics Any opinions on it? Bear in mind I haven't a clue about cameras. Really not a clue. I just need to know if I'm getting the wife an improvement on the Dimage A2 and if she can add more lenses to this in future?

Edit: I see that's the Canon camera Greymuzzle refered to as well. Looks like that'll be the one then. Thanks folks.

Thanks.

• Members

This camera claims to be compact. (And the price isn't too bad either)
Any opinions on it? Bear in mind I haven't a clue about cameras. Really not a clue. I just need to know if I'm getting the wife an improvement on the Dimage A2 and if she can add more lenses to this in future?

Canon and Nikon are the big two right now. You won't go wrong with either, but once you pick one you'll probably stick with that brand for a long time because the lenses only work with one brand or the other.

The Canon you linked to is a big upgrade from what your wife has now, the lens is removable/replaceable.

• Members

Canon 1100D it is. One chap responded on the photographer forum and suggested looking at the 1100d also. The Nikon was mentioned too.

Thank you very much chaps.

You can get back to guitars now.

Much appreciated. You saved our christmas.

Edit: And guess what? In the time I got all these replies above from you good people. On the photography forum only two replies from one person.

Nice to know I can ask this sort of stuff here without getting flamed.

• Members

Because I've got quite a few K-mount lenses, from having shot a lot of film, I'm likely to go w/ the Pentax K-2000, so I can still use them when going digital.

That being said, any quality brand DSLR (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) will do...best thing to do, if possible, is to take the Missus and let her pick out the one SHE likes best.

• Members

Thanks FK.

This camera claims to be compact. (And the price isn't too bad either)
Any opinions on it? Bear in mind I haven't a clue about cameras. Really not a clue. I just need to know if I'm getting the wife an improvement on the Dimage A2 and if she can add more lenses to this in future?

Edit: I see that's the Canon camera Greymuzzle refered to as well. Looks like that'll be the one then. Thanks folks.

Thanks.

Very similar to mine, probably a newer model. They continue to improve the resolution and other features all the time - hard to keep up. I think she would be happy with it.

Like TAH, I had a big stash of lenses from my film days - in this case Nikon, and I was very tempted to try to reuse them. The digital lenses with AF and stablilizing seem to be so much better that I just went with the package..

My only dislike going from a point and shoot to a true SLR is that I miss the screen for composing some shots - close ups, holding the camera overhead, etc. The advantage is that you are focusing thru the lens, the disadvantage is that you are focusing thru the lens - catch 22.

• Members

Here's an excellent site for camera/lens info. There are also a lot of video reviews on YouTube, and I often find Amazon reviews helpful.

http://www.dpreview.com/

If you go up to the "Cameras" pulldown menu near the top of the screen, select the brand(s) you're interested in and a list of popular models will appear.

I bought a Nikon D5100 earlier in the year. Love it. It's a small body (similar to the D3100), extremely easy to use out of the box, takes great pix. The kit lens it comes with won't do nearly everything for her, but it's a good start. Should be less than 500 GBP with the 18 - 55mm kit lens. There are comparable, only very slightly older models out there from both Canon and Nikon that are less $ because the DSLR market upgrades itself so frequently.

Mister Natural mentioned Panasonic Lumix. Excellent cameras, IMHO, but something to bear in mind is the array of lenses and accessories that will be available for whatever you decide to buy. In that regard, Canon and Nikon have a huge advantage. Not that their lenses are better than Leica glass (definitely not), but the latter are terrifyingly expensive on their own.

• Members

I also have the 5100, and have used the 3100. Both are good cameras and either would probably suit your wife very well. Both are available in the states in a kit that comes with 2 lenses of moderate quality. I do not believe there is any noticeable difference in picture quality, but the 5100 has more options and features - mostly that would not be used by a casual photographer.

My personal preference is Nikon over Canon, but there is no rational reason other than I got started with Nikon and more familiar with them.

A speedlight is a good addition by the way. Speedlight is Nikons brand of external flashes. You can get cheaper flashes, but none that work as well as the speedlight with a Nikon camera.

• Members

Both are good cameras and either would probably suit your wife very well.

My personal preference is Nikon over Canon, but there is no rational reason other than I got started with Nikon and more familiar with them.

I agree with this `cause you know what they say...it ain`t the arrow it`s the Indian.

• Members

I publish a photography magazine as well as Ukulele Player Magazine. When it comes to digital SLRs, devotees are typically in the Canon or Nikon camp unless, like Terry, they happen to have lots of expensive glass from another maker. I have over 20K worth of Pentax lenses, so, I opted for Pentax. I shoot professionally and have for years.

If you want warm skin-tones and basic all-around shooting and have no previous supply of lenses, opt for the Canon Rebel digital SLR and put your money into better lenses. If you want more natural skin-tone and want to shoot landscapes that are not over-saturated, opt for the Nikon lower-end digital SLRs and, again, put more money into your lenses.

The body of the camera basically stores the CMOS or CCD sensor (captures the picture), but the clearest images come from the best GLASS. The real work is done by the lens.

Don't get hung up on PIXEL COUNT. It is really a lot of BS. The clearest digital SLR ever made was the Nikon D2H (four mega-pixels). The more pixels you add to the sensor, the more "noise" the image has and the technology today hides the noise by actually softening the image. When it comes to color, lattitude is much more important than pixel count and the "processor" makes a difference. Nikon cameras use SONY sensors. Canon makes their own sensors. For the record, Pentax uses Sony sensors, too.

Canon lenses are cheaper than Nikon. My personal opinion is that Nikon lenses are actually better, but they are more expensive. I prefer Nikon color-- more natural-- but I am in the minority on that opinion. Pentax and Nikon both have about the same color and performance from sensor to sensor, but Pentax has fewer options.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

• Members
Are the best arrows mahogany or rosewood? Mine has walrus bone tips...

Most of the braves I know swear by aluminum, titanium, or carbon fiber shafts with razor tip broadheads! They are using the latest single-cam compound bows now, too. Yes, we Indians have come a long way! Hahaaaaaaaaaa! :D

• Members

I publish a photography magazine as well as Ukulele Player Magazine . . the body of the camera basically stores the CMOS or CCD sensor (captures the picture), but the clearest images come from the best GLASS. The real work is done by the lens

precisely Master - If the OP is going all-in on new professional gear with 44 different lens assemblies - the smart play is prolly Nikon

with regard to Lumix / Leica - if the OP is going to be of the pro-hobbiest ilk ; a great all-around machine with perhaps a second lens for this, that or the other thing. Can't go wrong with good German glass !

my little brother has one of these & . . . I'm not jealous . . .

http://www.jr.com/leica/pe/LEI_X1/

happy holidays people !

• Members

Chaps and Chapesses,

Thank you all for your help.

I went in to a chain shop retailer here in the uk today and came out with a Canon 550D inc 18mm - 55mm starter lens.. I hope she likes it. I agreed with the manager, if my wife wasn't happy with her "surprise", as long as it's still a sealed box, he'd happily refund it.

Cost me

• Members

Sorry your thread got hi-jacked there, BB. You did good, Canon is great stuff, I've been using their cameras and lenses for thirty years and wouldn't trade them for anything else. Easy to use and hard to make a mistake. Shooting modes for everything. Enjoy! ;)

Archived