Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSLR Camera way off topic.. but help needed.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I publish a photography magazine as well as Ukulele Player Magazine. When it comes to digital SLRs, devotees are typically in the Canon or Nikon camp unless, like Terry, they happen to have lots of expensive glass from another maker. I have over 20K worth of Pentax lenses, so, I opted for Pentax. I shoot professionally and have for years.

If you want warm skin-tones and basic all-around shooting and have no previous supply of lenses, opt for the Canon Rebel digital SLR and put your money into better lenses. If you want more natural skin-tone and want to shoot landscapes that are not over-saturated, opt for the Nikon lower-end digital SLRs and, again, put more money into your lenses.

The body of the camera basically stores the CMOS or CCD sensor (captures the picture), but the clearest images come from the best GLASS. The real work is done by the lens.

Don't get hung up on PIXEL COUNT. It is really a lot of BS. The clearest digital SLR ever made was the Nikon D2H (four mega-pixels). The more pixels you add to the sensor, the more "noise" the image has and the technology today hides the noise by actually softening the image. When it comes to color, lattitude is much more important than pixel count and the "processor" makes a difference. Nikon cameras use SONY sensors. Canon makes their own sensors. For the record, Pentax uses Sony sensors, too.

Canon lenses are cheaper than Nikon. My personal opinion is that Nikon lenses are actually better, but they are more expensive. I prefer Nikon color-- more natural-- but I am in the minority on that opinion. Pentax and Nikon both have about the same color and performance from sensor to sensor, but Pentax has fewer options.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    The secret of man's creative power is imagination.

Comment

...it ain`t the arrow it`s the Indian.

No, it's the arrow.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Jack<br><br><br><br>196 9 Martin D12-20 12-string<br><br>1984 Martin HD-28</div>

Comment

Are the best arrows mahogany or rosewood? Mine has walrus bone tips...
        Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Comment

walrus bone tips...

STFU noob.

I am the walrus.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.<br><br><br><br><br><br>I.K.F.C.<br><br>E.S .C.<br><br>Potato Society<br><br>SAWG</div>

Comment

Are the best arrows mahogany or rosewood? Mine has walrus bone tips...

Most of the braves I know swear by aluminum, titanium, or carbon fiber shafts with razor tip broadheads! They are using the latest single-cam compound bows now, too. Yes, we Indians have come a long way! Hahaaaaaaaaaa!
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Jack<br><br><br><br>196 9 Martin D12-20 12-string<br><br>1984 Martin HD-28</div>

Comment

I publish a photography magazine as well as Ukulele Player Magazine . . the body of the camera basically stores the CMOS or CCD sensor (captures the picture), but the clearest images come from the best GLASS. The real work is done by the lens

precisely Master - If the OP is going all-in on new professional gear with 44 different lens assemblies - the smart play is prolly Nikon

with regard to Lumix / Leica - if the OP is going to be of the pro-hobbiest ilk ; a great all-around machine with perhaps a second lens for this, that or the other thing. Can't go wrong with good German glass !

my little brother has one of these & . . . I'm not jealous . . .
              http://www.jr.com/leica/pe/LEI_X1/

happy holidays people !
              an expert on what it feels like to be me
              & you are who you google
              http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

No, it's the arrow.

LOL - this reminds me of the old saying that the REAL pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs

:=)
                an expert on what it feels like to be me
                & you are who you google
                http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

Chaps and Chapesses,

Thank you all for your help.

I went in to a chain shop retailer here in the uk today and came out with a Canon 550D inc 18mm - 55mm starter lens.. I hope she likes it. I agreed with the manager, if my wife wasn't happy with her "surprise", as long as it's still a sealed box, he'd happily refund it.

Cost me

Comment

"Chain retailer"

You didn't perchance miss the most important bit of my original post?

Don't go near Jessops. Ye'll get robbed.

Pricing sounds like them.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Please give me talent and patience - lots and soon.<br />
                    <b><br />
                    HCAG Civil Posters Society</b> Charter Member 005. Ignoring yer man permanently.</div>

Comment

Sorry your thread got hi-jacked there, BB. You did good, Canon is great stuff, I've been using their cameras and lenses for thirty years and wouldn't trade them for anything else. Easy to use and hard to make a mistake. Shooting modes for everything. Enjoy!

Comment

Chaps and Chapesses,

Thank you all for your help.

I went in to a chain shop retailer here in the uk today and came out with a Canon 550D inc 18mm - 55mm starter lens.. I hope she likes it. I agreed with the manager, if my wife wasn't happy with her "surprise", as long as it's still a sealed box, he'd happily refund it.

Cost me
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.<br><br><br><br><br><br>I.K.F.C.<br><br>E.S .C.<br><br>Potato Society<br><br>SAWG</div>

Comment

"Chain retailer"

You didn't perchance miss the most important bit of my original post?

Don't go near Jessops. Ye'll get robbed.

Pricing sounds like them.

I did pay heed GM. Being a canny scot, I remembered your advice well. I went to Argos. I wouldn't have believed they had such an inflated price on this. I know they are general goods retailers but I've always trusted them in the past to have a fair or good price. Lesson learned.

Edit: All done and dusted. Amazon delivered the 550D only 17 hours after I placed the order. The inflated price 550D has been refunded without complaint at Argos.

Happy days. And thanks again for your help folks. It really is appreciated.

Comment

• Working...
                            X