Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

DSLR Camera way off topic.. but help needed.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSLR Camera way off topic.. but help needed.

Right, I know this is totally off topic. I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here.I need some advice on cameras and quick> My wife announced tonight she'd like a new camera for xmas. 4 days to go! Sheesh, that doesn't give me much time to do research. I posted the bit below on a camera forum a half hour ago. I don't know how busy that forum is so don't know how quick I'll get the info I need.

Can you guys advise me? Pleeeeeese.

This evening, my wife announced that she'd like a camera for christmas. Leaving it a bit late for me to do research in to what to go for. Myself, I know absolutely nothing about cameras. I'd be very grateful if you could offer me some advice.

A few years ago I got her a Minolta Dimage A2. She has been happy with this but I think it's a bit old technology wise now. I'm looking to get her a Digital SLR with option for interchangeable lenses. She would prefer that it was fairly compact. Recently she saw a tv advert (in the UK) for a camera with such a description. Can't remember who advertised it, what make it was or even what the advertised price was.

Anyway, can you kind folk help recommend a compact DSLR camera with option for interchangeable lenses? She enjoyed taking pictures of flowers, insects and horses jumping at shows.

I know you are going to ask me what my budget is. I really don't know what cameras cost these days. All I know is it must be an upgrade from a Minolta Dimage A2. How much of an upgrade? Well, price would dictate that, I'm afraid.

Any suggestions on what to look at or what I'd have to spend, Please?

This is a tough one. Horse jumping and insects/flowers require just about polar opposites in terms of lens requirements.

For a starter, however, I would go with either the Canon 1100D with the 18-55 kit lens, or the Nikon D3100 with the same kit lens. Canon about
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Please give me talent and patience - lots and soon.<br />
    <b><br />
    HCAG Civil Posters Society</b> Charter Member 005. Ignoring yer man permanently.</div>

Comment

Thanks Greymuzzle,

What's a kit lens? Is it an adjustable lense? (Edit: Wikipeadia gave methe gist. It's a sort of basic starter lens I think)

Are these cameras much better than a Dimage A2? Or lots better? I'm trying to get a reference for the cash vs upgrade . I could spend that. The Dimage A2 spec is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konica-Minolta-Dimage-Digital-Optical/dp/tech-data/B0001G6UAW/ref=de_a_smtd

And just to make it awkward, she says I mustn't spend too much on a present for her. Catch 22 or what? I don't mind spending it. I just need to get a better understanding of the quality of improvement .

I know I'm asking lots here but research time is limited

As for getting it in time for xmas, well, I may be soft hearted for her but if it's going to cost me Hundreds more just so I can present it on xmas day, then, I think she'll just have to wait a few more days.

Comment

I am not a professional photographer but I have a couple of friends who are. I would consider myself an intermediate picture taker - I do everything from macro (bugs and flowers) to nature to some action to documenting my guitar building. When I was looking at cameras a year ago it came down to Cannon vs Nikon, and my friends suggested one of the EOS Canons (T3i) with two lenses - 18 to 55 mm and 55 to 250. This has served me well, cost right at a grand (I'll let you do the conversion). There are several models of the EOS line, consider getting her one of the basic ones (T2 maybe) with a good lens - she can add other lens as the needs arise.

Things I like about the EOS are autofocus (you can turn it on or off) and the image stablizer - great for action or low light shots. The standard lens focus medium close but in not a true macro (that will be my next addition).

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

Comment

Thanks FK.

It looks like Canon and Nikon are the makes to go for then.

This camera claims to be compact. (And the price isn't too bad either) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-18-55-Lens-Kit/dp/product-description/B004MPQXZA/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics Any opinions on it? Bear in mind I haven't a clue about cameras. Really not a clue. I just need to know if I'm getting the wife an improvement on the Dimage A2 and if she can add more lenses to this in future?

Edit: I see that's the Canon camera Greymuzzle refered to as well. Looks like that'll be the one then. Thanks folks.

Thanks.

Comment

I didn't feel like deciding, so followed Ken Rockwell's advice and got a Nikon D3100. The thing is great. Small, lightweight, takes good pics. My hands are average sized man hands and it feels fine.
            Guitars:
            -Fender Wayne's World 2 Stratocaster w/Fat '50s pickups
            -Fender Blacktop Jaguar HH
            Amps:
            -Fender Champion 110 w/Lil' Buddy
            -Fender Princeton 112 Plus w/Red White and Blues
            -Crate Palomino V8
            Effects:
            -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
            -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
            -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

This camera claims to be compact. (And the price isn't too bad either) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-18-55-Lens-Kit/dp/product-description/B004MPQXZA/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics Any opinions on it? Bear in mind I haven't a clue about cameras. Really not a clue. I just need to know if I'm getting the wife an improvement on the Dimage A2 and if she can add more lenses to this in future?

Canon and Nikon are the big two right now. You won't go wrong with either, but once you pick one you'll probably stick with that brand for a long time because the lenses only work with one brand or the other.
              The Canon you linked to is a big upgrade from what your wife has now, the lens is removable/replaceable.

Comment

Canon 1100D it is. One chap responded on the photographer forum and suggested looking at the 1100d also. The Nikon was mentioned too.

Thank you very much chaps.

You can get back to guitars now.

Much appreciated. You saved our christmas.

Edit: And guess what? In the time I got all these replies above from you good people. On the photography forum only two replies from one person.

Nice to know I can ask this sort of stuff here without getting flamed.

Comment

Because I've got quite a few K-mount lenses, from having shot a lot of film, I'm likely to go w/ the Pentax K-2000, so I can still use them when going digital.

That being said, any quality brand DSLR (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) will do...best thing to do, if possible, is to take the Missus and let her pick out the one SHE likes best.
                  God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Thanks FK.

Edit: I see that's the Canon camera Greymuzzle refered to as well. Looks like that'll be the one then. Thanks folks.

Thanks.

Very similar to mine, probably a newer model. They continue to improve the resolution and other features all the time - hard to keep up. I think she would be happy with it.

Like TAH, I had a big stash of lenses from my film days - in this case Nikon, and I was very tempted to try to reuse them. The digital lenses with AF and stablilizing seem to be so much better that I just went with the package..

My only dislike going from a point and shoot to a true SLR is that I miss the screen for composing some shots - close ups, holding the camera overhead, etc. The advantage is that you are focusing thru the lens, the disadvantage is that you are focusing thru the lens - catch 22.

Comment

Thanks FK.

It looks like Canon and Nikon are the makes to go for then

Thanks

Nope - check Panasonic LUMIX brand. Uses the premium Leica lens from Germany and top notch electronix. Very highly rated reliability, as well

peace
                      an expert on what it feels like to be me
                      & you are who you google
                      http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

Here's an excellent site for camera/lens info. There are also a lot of video reviews on YouTube, and I often find Amazon reviews helpful.

http://www.dpreview.com/
                        If you go up to the "Cameras" pulldown menu near the top of the screen, select the brand(s) you're interested in and a list of popular models will appear.

I bought a Nikon D5100 earlier in the year. Love it. It's a small body (similar to the D3100), extremely easy to use out of the box, takes great pix. The kit lens it comes with won't do nearly everything for her, but it's a good start. Should be less than 500 GBP with the 18 - 55mm kit lens. There are comparable, only very slightly older models out there from both Canon and Nikon that are less $ because the DSLR market upgrades itself so frequently.

Mister Natural mentioned Panasonic Lumix. Excellent cameras, IMHO, but something to bear in mind is the array of lenses and accessories that will be available for whatever you decide to buy. In that regard, Canon and Nikon have a huge advantage. Not that their lenses are better than Leica glass (definitely not), but the latter are terrifyingly expensive on their own.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.<br><br><br><br><br><br>I.K.F.C.<br><br>E.S .C.<br><br>Potato Society<br><br>SAWG</div>

Comment

don`t forget...extra battery and card...you know, as stocking stuffers...
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">it wasn`t me</div>

Comment

I also have the 5100, and have used the 3100. Both are good cameras and either would probably suit your wife very well. Both are available in the states in a kit that comes with 2 lenses of moderate quality. I do not believe there is any noticeable difference in picture quality, but the 5100 has more options and features - mostly that would not be used by a casual photographer.

My personal preference is Nikon over Canon, but there is no rational reason other than I got started with Nikon and more familiar with them.

A speedlight is a good addition by the way. Speedlight is Nikons brand of external flashes. You can get cheaper flashes, but none that work as well as the speedlight with a Nikon camera.
                            Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Comment

Both are good cameras and either would probably suit your wife very well.

My personal preference is Nikon over Canon, but there is no rational reason other than I got started with Nikon and more familiar with them.

I agree with this `cause you know what they say...it ain`t the arrow it`s the Indian.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">it wasn`t me</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X