Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorta NMD (Warning: long story!)!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musicians Friend has a Rouge mandolin on sale today 12/20, as their stupid deal of the day.
    "Consider everything, believe nothing" Elgar.

Comment

I've decided to track myself down a laminated-top "F5" model of similar modest origin and create myself an electric mandolin, too...have wanted one for several years, but it's very hard to find one w/ 8 strings, unless you want to drop BIG $$$...most electric mandolins these days have either 4 or 5, for some reason.

I think one reason players gravitate to 4 and 5 string mandos is that double-course strings don't lend themselves that well to effects. I played that Epiphone Mandobird VIII for a couple of years and sold it thinking that, if I ever bought another electric, it would have to be a five-string. But then I started thinking that if I played electric music again, I'd rather go all in and use my Tele.

Comment

Great story, Terry. Seems like a lot of people had a great night for various different reasons.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guitar projects: http://diystrat.blogspot.com

Comment

Awesome sequence of events! You must have done something really good in a previous life...
          my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

I think one reason players gravitate to 4 and 5 string mandos is that double-course strings don't lend themselves that well to effects.

Yeah, two nearly-in-tune strings, heavily overdriven, make a very special sound that is not often the sound a player is looking for.
            Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

I've been playing 8-stringers for a number of years now. A deal came along for a 5-string Fender thinline so I figured, "no problem, just treat it like a low B on my bass."

Not!

What I'm discovering is it requires a completely different playing style. I love hammering out chords on a regular mandolin, but that 5th string always seems to get in the way and I don't have quite enough fingers to make it work. I'm currently trying a jazz finger-style approach but admit it's a work-in-process.
              --------------------------------
              www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

My "Poorman's EM-150"...the "P-90" is a Soares reproduction.

Turned out pretty nice, tonally, I'm pleased to announce, but I'm still lusting after a 1906 F-2 Gibson for acoustic work (one of these days )

God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Working...
                X