Another whisky thread

JasmineTea

• Members

Balvenie Single Barrel Single Malt Scotch Whisky

anyone tried this? I have to say I have trouble finishing even a short glass. The stuff is loaded with flavor.

..copy-paste..

Sep 16, 2011 - Balvenie 15 Year Single Barrel Malt Scotch Whisky 750ml - The Balvenie Single Barrel Single Malt Scotch Whisky is a 15 year old single malt which is drawn from a single bourbon cask of a single distillation. Each cask forms a limited edition of hand-numbered bottles - there will be a maximum of 350 bottles from any one cask - so each bottle is unique and unrepeatable. Each cask is subtly different, however, The Balvenie Malt Master selects for bottling only those casks that have the essential characteristics of The Balvenie Single Barrel - particularly honey, vanilla and oak notes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Single is a harsh toke compared to the sweeter Doublewood 12 yo. It starts with Iodine, then goes through salty coffee and ends with notes of black licorice. Yummm... Alas, I have not a drop of the stuff in the house atm. Only a lonely bottle of Ninkasi in the fridge. And so I am faced with a dilemma: Go for a quick ride and come back to beer, or just start drinking now and run out early...

• Members

I am a bourbon man. If I've got a few ducketts, my fave is Woodford Reserve. I'm not a Makers Mark guy. Can't put it into words, just don't dig it. Jefferson is almost as good as Woodford's. I can afford Old Crow on a daily basis. U.S. Grant drank it, though I have no idea what today's $19 plastic 1.75L jug is in relation to Grant's whiskey. I'll just call it functional!

Scotch: not a big fan. Balvenie, I guess.

Irish: Tullamore Dew or Jameson (I'm not religious either way)

Canadian: No seriously...

Rye: Jack Beam (don't you mean Jim beam? Son, when you've known him as long as me, he's goes as jack)

Jack Daniels: Zager. Seriously. Even in teh green label. Zager at best! That {censored}'s rotgut.

• Members

I've not tried much scotch. That which I've tried, I don't understand. I like American Rye; although admitedly I've only tried a few. I have Jim Beam right now, which is my go-to whiskey, although I don't drink whiskey regularly. But if I do drink liquor, it's usually Rye or Bourbon.

• Members

What is to understand about Scotch? I smell it, I turn green. I drink it, I throw up with one sip. Simple.

I can stand Irish in coffee, but the single malts are too much like scotch. Rye and Canadian are only a little better. The only whiskey I actually like is Bourbon, and then pretty much Maker's Mark and Knob Creek only.

I prefer Vodka, Gin, Brandy and Cognac. But I love good Tequila, Armagnac, and Rum, especially rum from Martinique, best.

• Members

Lets not forget that William Faulkner drank Old Crow. Anyone know who he was? I get a hint of Vanilla in Old Crow and it dont hold up in the long run for me. Evan Williams is the best I have found for the price and I drink it neat. I dont know the litre measurement but I get a big plastic bottle for 14.88 at WM liquor store. For me Kentucky Straight bourbon is far superior to anything similar to Tennessee bourbon.

• Members

New fella here. I like bourbon best, then scotch. used to drink some

Rye but haven't in a while.

Bourbons I like .....Evan Williams 1782 small batch, Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark, Eagle rare, and a few others but for the really special occasions I like Pappy Van Winkle. I can only afford the 12 year old, the 18 is just to much for my pocket book, but it sure is good when somebody else pours me a sniff of theirs.

Scotch I like the Balvinie Doublewood, I like the Glen Morangie Sherry cask. I like a lot of them, just have developed more of a pallet for bourbon in recent years.

• Members

Well, I won't drink any whisky that comes in a plastic bottle. And it's gotta have a cork top, with the exception of Bushmills.

speaking of Bushmills, I tried the 16 y/o multi-barrel single malt. It ends up being my backstop bottle for when I run out of other stuff. I mean, I can't get used to it. All the woody flavor over that Bushmills twang..doesnt seem to make sense..

One bourbon I want to try is Booker, and this thread has got me curious about a few others.

Good quality Single Malt Scotch does the trick for me, though, and I've come to have an open mind about them, they're all different, some very different. Compare something like Laphroaig to Talisker for example. Two completely different worlds, and I like them both.

Caol Ila has come to be my favorite. Greenish in color when it's in the glass. Add a drop or two of water..Somewhat smokey, peaty, and all that other stuff going on. i love it.

another one I really like is Oban. no peat and smoke, just a lot of flavor.

• Members

Ahhh, good old American Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey here.

Same here. Straight Kentucky Bourbon for me, thank you. Never "acquired" the taste for Scotch. Lord knows, I've tried! The only way I can drink Scotch is straight, on the rocks. Tried it with soda once or twice. Tasted like nasty medicine to me.

We had a young Second Lieutenant, back in the 60s, who always came into the "O" Club and ordered coke........neat. We got on him, saying he was a panty-waist for never ordering anything stronger.

He took us up on the challenge one evening and boldly ordered a Scotch and Coke!! I don't think he ever lived it down. And, he even had the gall to say it tasted good! YUCK!!

• Members

Ya. Bourbon, neat, is too sweet for my tastes. The Basil Haydens and Woodfords are wonderful whiskeys, but I'd honestly rather have them in a Manhattan or Old Fashioned. Sacrilege, I know, but mixed drinks have been my trend this past year. I've gone through more bottles of Bulliet than Scotch. Bourbon is better to take camping, too. This year's surprisingly affordable Single Malt has been the Glenlivet Nadurra.

• Members

Same here. Straight Kentucky Bourbon for me, thank you. Never "acquired" the taste for Scotch. Lord knows, I've tried! The only way I can drink Scotch is straight, on the rocks. Tried it with soda once or twice. Tasted like nasty medicine to me.

Tastes like ipecac to me--the stuff that makes you vomit.

So...I'm the safest person to have stash your scotch bottle. The only way I am going to open it is if I need an emergency disinfectant or alcohol lamp fuel!

And single malt Irish? Same as Scotch!

I'll stick to bourbon, rum, tequila (Chenaco Anejo--yum), Grey Goose, brandy and gin.

Archived