Look at all this Brazilian Rosewood

JerseyGuy

• Members

Actually, I LOVE the looks of very good SEA rosewood like Binh uses in his better builts. I've seen Braz and I'm not that much in love with it, visually spoken.

Maybe it's because I've mostly seen SEA rosewood in my life and less braz? Dunno...

• Members

I'll share here : really don't care what color the wood of MY casket . . .

just take an audio recording of the event @ 96khz - not unsufferable @44.1khz

:satiire:

peace

Actually, my religious background and heritage dictates a plain wood box. The rub is in the definition of "plain". To some, it means a simple pine or cedar box. To me, it means some nice quarter sawn mahogany, as long as it has no binding and a satin finish. :D

• Members

http://www.hanoverbrazil.com/rosewood-guitars.shtml

This guy is selling a lot of reject wood. Martin never built with this stuff. Even his "Imperial Grade" sets are at best average.

Now this is some serious Brazilian rosewood...it can flame/quilt but it's super rare:

brazilian-rosewood-ukulele-back.jpg

But something like this is what I would consider luthier grade Brazilian rosewood.

PS10ce_detail_body_back.jpg

• Members

The reason Brazilian rosewood is threatened has mostly to do with the deforrestation of the Brazilian rainforest itself. The wood isn't even consumed as lumber....just burnt up. The forrest is cut down for human encroachment for agriculture and just plain living space.

Next on the list is lumber consumption, but most of that lumber is consumed by locals for use within Brazil and the veneer trade. The idea that guitars are killing off all of the Brazilian rosewood in the world is just plain short sighted. You could probably supply the world's entire demand for Brazilian rosewood for instrument wood by the trees that die from weather and natural causes (along with salvage wood and wood recovered from the stumps of already dead trees).

Something to think about when you have all these well meaning people making laws to keep someone flying on a plane internationally to get his old Martin confiscated. They think they are helping Brazilian rosewood make a comeback. Barking up the wrong tree IMHO.

Archived