(OT) NPD: New Pedal Day

DeepEnd

• Members

You might recall that I mentioned in the "Whatcha Want For Christmas?" thread that I wanted a cheap but decent reverb pedal. Earlier this evening, I bought a used DigiTech RP50 multi effects pedal from a pawn shop for $35. Haven't run it thru its paces yet but it should be fun. I'm curious as to what an acoustic might soun"d like with some of the effects, particularly the one that models a "flat top acoustic." Will it perhaps make my acoustic sound even more acoustic? Time will tell.

• Members

The most common effects used for acoustic guitars are reverb, delay and chorus. I have a small acoustic pedal board with the following: a Digitech Digidelay, Digitech Multi Chorus, a Digitech Bad Monkey and a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer (to round out the low booms and ice pickey highs acoustics amps are prone to). My electric pedal board is far more extensive, and both of my electric amps have superb reverb (I use a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue and an Egnater Rebel 30 Combo).

The RP-50 has all of the above effects, which can be used separately or together. Should work out fine. A little bit of all those effects goes a long way, however. Don't go overboard or your tone turns to mush.

• Members

As larry50 noted, the RP50 has a boatload of effects, most of which I'll never use. The effects that sound interesting (on paper, at least) are:

"Chorus," ("A Chorus adds a short delay to your signal. The delayed signal is modulated in and out of tune and then mixed back with the original signal to create a thicker sound, and stereo image.")

"Detune," ("A Detuner makes a copy of your incoming signal, takes the copied signal slightly out of tune from the original, and mixes the two signals together. The result is a doubling type of effect as if two guitars were playing the same part together."),

"Pitch Shift," ("The Pitch Shifting copies the incoming signal, and shifts the pitch of the copy to a different note.The shifted note is mixed back with the original signal sounding as if two guitars were playing different notes.")

Since "Pitch {censored}f" can go up to an octave in either direction, together, "Chorus" or "Detune" and "Pitch Shift" could produce a nice 12-stringy effect.

"Reverb" has half a dozen variations with nine levels of each: Room, Hall, Plate, Church, Arena, and Spring. (I don't expect to use anything beyond 4, more than likely.)

I usually play through a DI box into a PA but I have an SWR LA12 bass amp I can use to test effects until I know what I'm doing. (Which might take a very long time, LOL.)

• Members

Pitch shift is a famously glitchy effect, especially in the low end pedals. How does it work for you?

Honestly, I haven't had a chance to play with it much plus I have Christmas presents for other people to wrap. I'll try to get a clip recorded fairly soon though.

Archived