Epitome Of "Cool"?

Chordchunker

• Members

Lightnin' Hopkins was the guy that threw me off the blues back in the '70s. I had purchased an album by him, and the timing and tuning were so terrible, I never explored it further until much later. I found Robert Johnson, and as repetitious as he could be, was always in time, in tune, and great lyrics. He was the guy I loved. Now I'm exploring BBQ Bob, Willie MACtell, Leadbelly, and those guys, while sometimes un-tuned and primitive, had chops I'm looking to learn.

I do see now though, that Lightnin' Hopkins was a pretty cool blues guy. But he was the first blues guy I listened to way back, and was totally bummed he was a dud to my young ears.

• Members

Lightnin' Hopkins was the guy that threw me
off
the blues back in the '70s. I had purchased an album by him, and the timing and tuning were so terrible, I never explored it further until much later. I found Robert Johnson, and as repetitious as he could be, was always in time, in tune, and great lyrics. He was the guy I loved. Now I'm exploring BBQ Bob, Willie MACtell, Leadbelly, and those guys, while sometimes un-tuned and primitive, had chops I'm looking to learn.

I do see now though, that Lightnin' Hopkins was a pretty cool blues guy. But he was the first blues guy I listened to way back, and was totally bummed he was a dud to my young ears.

Understand.. Took me a while to "get" Billy Holiday, but once I did she became the Jazz queen for me... I like Robert Johnson and do a few of his tunes, but he is far from my favorite..I would rather listen to Johnny Shines or a few other Delta guys all day... I had a bandmate ask me once.. "Why do all you white boys like Robert Johnson"..lol... I think because he is easy to emulate/imitate... Lightnin` not so much..

• Members

Y'know, I was listening to McTell on the way down to Illinois tonite, and Johnson on the way back (funeral), I noticed the later Mctell was much better, and the Johnson was extremely repetitive. All good, but Johnson started pretty much every song the same way. Then I got to thinking about the different blues styles, and came home and looked up McTell and read a spot about Piedmont style and it's Eastern influence, blah blah.. but how it was more intricate. Got some guys I should look into regarding that style?

BTW, the McTell was a 4 CD set going from early to later. Didn't have the '50s last recordings, but the '40s. The last 2 were pretty damn cool. All thru though, he was cool with the timing, and mostly cool with the tuning, though on a couple, you could tell they were from some parlor recordings. Johnson though, was spot on, even though fairly predictable.

I have a BBQ Bob, Charlie Patton and a Leadbelly set I have to go thru as well. Heck, I have that "Leadbelly" Dell'Arte 12 string, I should probably know what these guys did on it!

Anyway, Piedmont style, lead me!

• Members

Y'know, I was listening to McTell on the way down to Illinois tonite, and Johnson on the way back (funeral), I noticed the later Mctell was much better, and the Johnson was extremely repetitive. All good, but Johnson started pretty much every song the same way. Then I got to thinking about the different blues styles, and came home and looked up McTell and read a spot about Piedmont style and it's Eastern influence, blah blah.. but how it was more intricate. Got some guys I should look into regarding that style?

BTW, the McTell was a 4 CD set going from early to later. Didn't have the '50s last recordings, but the '40s. The last 2 were pretty damn cool. All thru though, he was cool with the timing, and mostly cool with the tuning, though on a couple, you could tell they were from some parlor recordings. Johnson though, was spot on, even though fairly predictable.

I have a BBQ Bob, Charlie Patton and a Leadbelly set I have to go thru as well. Heck, I have that "Leadbelly" Dell'Arte 12 string, I should probably know what these guys did on it!

Anyway, Piedmont style, lead me!

Leadbelly was the one for me... The first time I heard him (13 years old) I couldn`t sleep because that music haunted me...lol..Still does.. Different era bro and you have to regard the {censored} he went through... I Mean can you really imagine Clapton working on a chain gang, or a Pea Field?..;)

Piedmont blues is what I got really wrapped into and when it all boils down Blind Blake was the man... All the other Piedmont "Greats" like Rev Gary Davis and Blind Boy Fuller, etc were "doing" Blind Blake... Blind Blake can even be heard with Louis Armstrong`s "Hot 5/7 recordings.. Papa Charlie Jackson was another early innovator though he mostly played a 6 string banjo....

• Members

and let's not forget Skip (not that he's especially 'cool'...I'd choose other adjectives for him..

[video=youtube;orDprwmKmac]

Elmore James and Howlin Wolf (the two that really got me hooked but I'm not sure they belong in the acoutic forum.....although they WERE cool).

[video=youtube;hKEdlSTHjtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKEdlSTHjtU

[video=youtube;EGIE28q3fEA]

• Members

Blind Blake is buried a stone's throw from me.

Gotta go and offer.

Great article! For years and years Blind Blake was a mystery. He just disappeared off the face of the earth and not very much was known about him.. His recordings were mostly in the 1920`s (1926-1932).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Blake

GF8fjfQaTok

Pink Anderson

mXdkUahBoSI

• Members

OK... so maybe its pushing the term "accustic"... but you talk about talent, cool, and just plain doing it your own way.... Chris Whitley was the man!!!!!

Chris would gladly admit he stood on the shoulders of Giants.

Living With The Law was and is my all time favorite plastic, not a song on there I don't "not like", and a bunch loved.

Archived