Christmas Sadness

Starrshine

• Members

Picked up my harp guitar to play it this morning and discovered it had three huge cracks at the bridge and another one at the soundhole just below the neck! This was my Christmas present!:mad::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I bought it as a second so there was no guarantee on it. Put it back in it's case with a sponge in it. Hope I can get it back to shape.

Should I loosen the strings? What is a good case humidifier? Should I be all right with a sponge in a soap box?

Bob

• Members

Loosen the strings and humidify the hell out of it.

You still will have to fix the cracks, but if everything gets back in shape nicely, it might be as well just a job for CA.

Depending on the cracks lengths and positions, you may end up having to cleat it, but thankfully, most of the times CA will do.

Still, how could that happen? Don"t you have some sort of humidity control? What"s the RH in yer place?

• Members

I have to admit that it has been out of the case a lot as I have been playing it. It does get very dry here in the mountains, but I have never had any problems with my other acoustic instruments. I wrote the manufacturer/distributor this morning and he did answer right back:

Hi Bob,

Let's talk, I have a couple other older prototypes or you could pay the difference and upgrade to our USA models in production?

I want everyone happy, even if they are as is no warranty prototypes.

Thanks again!

Scott

So maybe something can be worked out. Here are some pictures
Bob

• Members

What katopp said. The cracks you describe are in critical stress locations. Tune down 2 full steps and go with the sponge. Also, I learned a trick a while back to humidify a room quickly. Boil about a gallon of water, then put the hot water in bowls and set them around the room (not close to the guitar). I've found that the steam from the hot water can bring the RH in a small room up about 10 points in about an hour. Then just leave the water in there and let it evaporate. It will do a lot to add humidity. I'm so very sorry to hear about what happened to your guitar. I wish you the best of luck. Here's hoping that your guitar is as good as new.

Also, get a couple of good hygrometers. :thu:

• Members

I hope we've learned our lesson regarding humidification :cop:. It's a tough lesson to learn the hard way.

Shell out the 15 bucks and get a nice Oasis with the tan cover. And .75 for a bottle of distilled, that'll last you 4 seasons on one guitar.

Sure the sponge in a baggie works, but you can't tell when it's dried out unless you feel it, and by then it's sometimes too late, unless you make it a point to check it constantly. The Oasis is a visual. You spent how much on your guitar, another 15 dollar investment ain't gonna hurt.

Archived