Martin 00015 vs. 0015 vs. 00015M vs. 0015M???

LiFeStArTs@40

• Members

I'm curious to know the differences in the above guitars. I know that the M's ARE all hog. However, I like Sapele too. Short story long, I had a chance to play a friends 00015 and really liked it and his was Sapele. IF, and I mean IF I end up with one of these, I'll be giving up my D1 that I really like.

Elderly will sell the 00015 for $810 set up and the 00015M for $975. I don't know if the there's a $160 worth of difference and have not played them side by side. Also, what's the difference between the 000 and 00? I REALLLLLYY like my 000X1AE. It's the most comfortable and well set up guitar I've ever played... EVEN better than My D1. The D1 plays very very well, but for some reason, the 000X1AE play even easier. Same strings, same scale length (I think), same action at the 12th. :confused:

I'm doing less and less strumming and more finger style and think my Seagull dread would be enough to hold down the dread front.

I am open to suggestions on other guitars in the same size range as alternatives and to looking at used.

• Members

The M is guaranteed to be mahogany, while the non-M can be either mahogany or sapele.

The M has a real rosette, while the non-M has a decal.

The M has better tuners.

The M has less (or a different) toner.

You can find the non-M used for $500-700.

If it were me, I'd buy one of the custom 00-15Ms with wide nut offered here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197184

BTW, I have the 12-fret version of the 000 (000-15S), and it is stellar (assuming you like the unique tone).

• Members

Significant difference is that a double ought (00) is slightly smaller than a triple ought (000).

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/features/shapes.html

I believe that the M means it is mahogany for sure, without the M it could be either mahogany or sapele. IMHO sapele is a very acceptable mahogany type of wood - tends to have a little more ribbon grain but very similar sounds.

These wonderful guitars are based on the old 000-17, but have the MT neck and slightly different bracing. Great fingerstyle blues guitars.

While you are looking at them, see if you can find my fav - the 000-15S (the S stands for "Standard" but many people think "slothead"). The regular 000-15 is a 14 fret 25.4 scale paddlehead with 1-11/16 nut and 2-1/8 saddle. The S model is a 12 fret slothead, same scale and bracing, but with a 1-3/4 nut and 2-1/4 saddle.

If I ever see one at a decent price it will probably follow me home.

• Members

Interestingly, I spent an hour or so at Guitar Showcase in San Jose yesterday, and the three guitars I spent time on were a 000-15, and 00-15 and a 0-15M. Frankly, they all played and sounded fantastic. As far as I can tell, the only noticeable difference between the "M" model and the 00 were the upgraded rosette (which is pretty small and nondescript) and the cool snowflake fretboard inlays. Otherwise, they were incredibly comparable and I would be happy to own either....

• Members

Define "decent."
:)

http://davesguitar.com/martin/000-15s-08-12693.asp

One in my area when I'm in a weak buying mood...

Several years ago I was offered a great prewar 00-17 at a to die for price, but the PO was a pedophile and I hated his guts. There was no way that guitar would ever be in my house.

Back to the original question - if you are not hung up on an all hog guitar and want a really good fingerstyle one, consider any of the OM models - smaller bodies, 14 frets clear, wide fretboard and saddle. The OM-21 is one of my real favorites - less expensive than the 28's but similar in a sound and playability.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/size.php?z=e

You might also go to Mauries site and find the comparison between Blueridge and the equivalent Martin models. Lots of people like them (once you get past the headstock).

Lastly, I've got a real live brand new 1995 OM-28 on my workbench that is getting a neck - its literally never been assembled or played. I figure when I get it done it will either be my campfire guitar or I'll make someone a heck of a deal (I'd even consider giving to a really needy young player). It can't say Martin on the headstock, but it is a Martin box - long story... I'm putting a long scale wide neck on it but I've also got a short scale 000-14 style neck and could build it that way. PM me if you have any interest at all.

• Members

FK, you have access to some cool machines at work, right?

Make me one of these please.

Travel guitar with swappable necks in different scale lengths.

Holy moly, 6 string, 7 string, 8 string and 10. We better add a 12 and maybe a 4 string tenor, Different scale lengths, but you could also do a wide flat neck for slide, a narrower one for fretting. The two piece bridge solves the pin hole problem (but introduces a bunch of new ones), While we're at it, the neck joint could be sort of a quick release NT so angle would be easy to adjust.

I'm afraid I'm going to be dreaming about that critter.

• Members

I can sell you a brand new 00015m for $919.99, I own one and I think its awesome. Great guitar for the money. Shoot me an email if you have any questions and we can further discuss the differences between the guitars. I also have a new 00015 for sale and that goes for $779.99

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Tossing up between OO15M and DC15ME. On pure tone which is the winner? Considering the DC15ME for cutaway and electronics in an all mahog. But if the OO15M sounds a lot better, I will get it. Can't find either to try first. Have decided to go "all mahog" over a DCPA4. I consider this a risk but something draws me to these mahogany things.

• Members

Tossing up between OO15M and DC15ME. On pure tone which is the winner? Considering the DC15ME for cutaway and electronics in an all mahog. But if the OO15M sounds a lot better, I will get it. Can't find either to try first. Have decided to go "all mahog" over a DCPA4. I consider this a risk but something draws me to these mahogany things.

I've not played either one, though I think it's fair to say you're not comparing apples to apples; an 00 and a dreadnought are going to sound different because of the different body shapes. Whether one sounds better than the other would be purely subjective. For strumming, the dread would probably be a stronger choice. For fingerpicking, a 00 is usually more desirable. For an idea of how the DC15ME sounds, try a normal D15M; the "C" is for cutaway and the "E" is for electronics - the base guitar is the same. It's unfortunate you can't find a 0015M to try; I can't think of a good proxy for that particular model.

• Members

I gig on a 000-15m 4-5 nights a week. I love that guitar. Mine has the Anthem System installed on it, and I love everything about that guitar. (I would like to install some nicer tuners on it though) I go to an open mic in my neigborhood when I can, and the guy who hosts it always brings a 00-15 for me to play. I like that guitar as well. His has a sound supressor in the hole and some sort of Fisman pick-up installed. It sings. I've asked him to will it to me... he won't.

I know this doesn't help, but I will say I chose the 000-15m. (no good reason, I just did) I don't think the 000-15s sounded as good, even though it had more coolness factor. I never tried the plain 000-15 either. I will never get rid of that 000-15m, no matter what other guitar I may get in the future.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to include the OOO15M in the equation now too :) So it's OOO15M, OO15M or DC15ME.

I had never considered an all mahogany guitar as I had never really seen one and once I started asking around about them people kept telling me they were too dark and muffled. However I keep reading posts by those who love them. They fascinate me now. Something old school in the tones I hear in clips is speaking to me (not to mention the look).

Originally I was all set on a Martin DCPA4 (spruce/sapele). I played and liked this guitar for the price. It is around what I will spend. Then someone suggested the "all mahogany" Martins. I can't even find a plain old D15M to play around my parts. No mahogany guitars at all and when I ask about them the guys in the stores never say anything good about them. I don't think they have much experience with them. I'm buying online and think I will just take the bet on a DC15ME or a OO15M.

How hard would it be to get a pickup working real nice in the OO15M later on? Not having to fool with it myself is one reason the DC15ME calls me. I certainly don't want to be drilling holes and getting a luthier to do it would not be cost effective on guitars of this value I don't think.

Am leaning to the DC15ME as I am doing as much strumming as picking, if not more. Any more opinions appreciated. Plunging into an all mahogany without playing one is scary, but exciting!

• Members

I think the martin 00-15 is a quality instrument and wouldn't think twice about getting someone to install a pick-up on one. Like I said... I love my 000-15m and had the LR Baggs Anthem System installed on mine. But like I said, I'll probably hang onto it for ever. If I were you, I'd def. play the guitar for a while to make sure you like it, before you have a pick-up installed. I prob. worried over which pick-up, at least as much as, which guitar.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to include the OOO15M in the equation now too
So it's OOO15M, OO15M or DC15ME.

I had never considered an all mahogany guitar as I had never really seen one and once I started asking around about them people kept telling me they were too dark and muffled. However I keep reading posts by those who love them. They fascinate me now. Something old school in the tones I hear in clips is speaking to me (not to mention the look).

Originally I was all set on a Martin DCPA4 (spruce/sapele). I played and liked this guitar for the price. It is around what I will spend. Then someone suggested the "all mahogany" Martins. I can't even find a plain old D15M to play around my parts. No mahogany guitars at all and when I ask about them the guys in the stores never say anything good about them. I don't think they have much experience with them. I'm buying online and think I will just take the bet on a DC15ME or a OO15M.

How hard would it be to get a pickup working real nice in the OO15M later on? Not having to fool with it myself is one reason the DC15ME calls me. I certainly don't want to be drilling holes and getting a luthier to do it would not be cost effective on guitars of this value I don't think.

Am leaning to the DC15ME as I am doing as much strumming as picking, if not more. Any more opinions appreciated. Plunging into an all mahogany without playing one is scary, but exciting!

• Members

Gone for a D15M
Will let you know how it goes. Looking for a
cheap pickup that won't require drilling

I have a D-15M. It's my favorite acoustic - has been since I got it. Just ridiculously great tone.

I love the 15 series, but am really not familiar with anything smaller than the 000, which I think is a brilliant model (still want an all-hog 000, but I'll try to make it myself). I've never played one of the 12-fret 15's, but I would imagine they sound freakin' incredible. I believe Kottke plays one now and then.

I favor the M line because I prefer all the different appointments, which gitnoob has covered well above. Hog on hog is pretty much my dream acoustic combo.

Archived