Hard Times........Come Again No More.

Opa John

• Members

I don't know if I've posted this before, but even if I have, it's worth a second showing.

I just discovered this song and video recently, although the song was written almost 160 years ago by Stephen Foster. And, despite its age, its message is as current as today.

If you're in reasonably good health, have food on your table, a roof over your head, and you're able to pay your monthly bills, count yourself among the fortunate of the world for there are those who have none of these "luxuries". This one truly makes me pause and reflect on just how nice I've had it. There are a lot of people out there who are having a rough go of it these days.

[video=youtube;GPu545MJjIU]

• Members

Thank You so much for posting this! I had never heard that song and the video was very moving.

I myself have been on the brink....it's been tough supporting a family of four when you have very little work and are self employed.

If it wasn't for financial assistance from family I don't know what we would have done.

Things seem to be picking up now but it was real scary for a long time not knowing if we could make i through.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I believe that this song was written by the great American songwriter Stephen Foster ("Suwannee River"; "My Old Kentucky Home"; "Camptown Races"; "Beautiful Dreamer") and many others.

Sorry---I see now where Opa John had mentioned Foster---oh well, I'm old--lol.

• Members

Whoa! I like that version too. I just wish I could find the Delta blues version of it when I first heard it. It was being played at the end of a show on the Documentary channel a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see the show.......only caught the tail end of it.

Archived