Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Pickups???

Ok, I have been a giggin' musician for a number of years. Every guitar that I have ever played out has come with a pickup in it. I have owned many over the years.

I now come to my dilemma.

I now have the most awesome guit-fiddle I have ever had. A Gibson J-50, it was made in 1970. It was a factory second and somebody changed the tuners, so it is not a collector. It is however a player. It sounds like Butter. Nice Action, and it booms and resonates like no other guitar I have ever had. I could go on and on, I have owned many Martins, Takamine, Eggle, Santa Cruz, Taylors, Guild, Fender, Alvarez, Washburn, Ovation, Ibanez, Epiphone, other Gibsons. Never have I had an acoustic sing like this one.

It didn't come with a pickup. I bought one of the Dean Markley wooden in hole deals. It is ok, but doesn't reflect the guitar at all. My question is...

What kind of pickup should I get in it.
    If money is not the issue, I will wait til I can afford the best.

I am concerned with battery life. I don't play the Martin with the Aura preamp, because it is a battery hog. I play six to 8 gigs a week and I have to change the battery about every 5 days. Other guitars I have owned the battery would last for Months with the same usage.

I don't want to cut a hole in the guitar either. I don't mind minor stuff but the controls need to be in the soundhole.

I kind of like the Fishman with the under saddle and the mic. but I have not idea what to do.

Please help. I am going nuts here. I have already started embezzling...er I mean diverting funds to get a pickup but want to get the right one.

FEEDBACK? HELP?
    Amps: Pre-Fender SWR California Blonde w/Blonde on Blonde extension Cab bose L-1 Compact Guitars: 1970 Gibson J-50 Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner Breedlove J-20MH Takamine EAN-40C Seagull S6 Ceder top (Beach Guitar)

I would respectfully suggest a K&K pure western mini. No cutting, no drilling and a great sound of your guitar.

Yes it is passive but I've never had a problem with volume.

fwiw imho ymmv etc
    Please give me talent and patience - lots and soon.

HCAG Civil Posters Society Charter Member 005. Ignoring yer man permanently.

Comment

If money is not an object, and if you want a pickup that sounds good in both low-volume and loud environments, with good battery life... then I'd recommend the LR Baggs Anthem.

If you're interested, just email me. I'll be happy to give you a good deal.
      ReviveMusicStore.com
      Authorized dealer of Yamaha, Voyage Air, LR Baggs and Fishman
      Contact me at info@revivemusicstore.com

Comment

yeah, gigging with acoustics I've tried many configurations, here's what I now use.
        On an '87 Lowden - K&K Western.
        on a Bourgeois J-OM a Fishman Rare Earth Blend (humbucker / mic).
        Live I'll feed them into a TC Electronics Parametric EQ to reduce the possibility of feedback which varies depending on the venue more so with the Lowden just because the guitar is so sensitive / responsive.
        From the TC unit into an AER Compact 60 to get 'my sound' and a line or DI out to the house desk.
        This achieves the best and trouble free sound I've had
        hope this helps

Comment

A Baggs M1 or Fishman Rare Earth Blend will do the job very well with a minimum of mods to your guitar. Go here and give various pickups a listen: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

K & K Pure Western Mini!

Mel
            AKA "SuperChunk"

Comment

I'm a magnetic pickup fan. Personally, I think they sound heads n' tails better than any SBT or UST, and are extremely feedback resistant, that's a huge plus for me. Don't care for Fishman's Rare Earth, (I have one..)but the M-1(don't have), or the M-1A(have), Takamine TriAx (have), and the new Baggs M-80 looks seriously promising. I've heard real good things from Sunrise pickups as well, but have never used one. This probably goes totally opposite to the majority of thought in an acoustic forum, but you can eq a mag pickup very nicely, they don't sound like an "electric" guitar, never heard any pickup that actually sounded "like your guitar, only louder", and have never heard of an audience complaining one way or another. They do not affect the acoustic sound at all, to my hearing anyway.

But they are a soundhole pickup, so you may want something that isn't as noticeable.

Another option if you need an SBT or UST is to check out the Mi-Si offerings, no battery, you plug it in for 5 minutes for 8 hours of "active" play. Google "Mi-Si". The "no battery" is a plus, believe me.
              -------------------------------------------------------------
              http://www.youtube.com/user/MrOddmanout1

Comment

Highlander pu => highlanderpickups.com
                LITTLE KIM & THE ALLEY APPLE 3:
                Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little...3/103150647802
                Bandcamp: http://littlekim.bandcamp.com/
                Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/LittleKim1001

Comment

I second the LR Baggs Anthem. I have that set-up in my main guitar and it works well. Then again... I hav'nt used alot of different pick-up like alot of the folks here either.

Comment

I would respectfully suggest a K&K pure western mini. No cutting, no drilling and a great sound of your guitar.

Yes it is passive but I've never had a problem with volume.

fwiw imho ymmv etc

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Kind of surprised no mention of JJB as of yet http://www.jjb-electronics.com/our_products.html
                      Excellent product, great prices and fantastic customer service as well!
                      Many on here will speak up in favor of these if asked.
                      CapersI always knew I was Undecided, but now I am not so sureGreat acoustic Pick Ups at Reasonable priceshttp://www.jjb-electronics.com/our_products.html

Comment

I have to agree with the JJB. It's the exact same as a K&K and is several bucks cheaper.

Roger Waters
                        Echoes
                        from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

Yep, no one in THIS acoustic forum likes mag pickups...

Knew it! Doh!

Comment

Yep, no one in THIS acoustic forum likes mag pickups...

Knew it! Doh!

Not so. I thought the Fishman Neo-D was a decent mag. I hardwired it into a Norman dread I used to have. It was pretty good until you asked for upper fret trebles and then it went all electrical and ****************. It sounded great, otherwise.
                            Be back when I get back. TTFN.

Comment

Not so. I thought the Fishman Neo-D was a decent mag. I hardwired it into a Norman dread I used to have. It was pretty good until you asked for upper fret trebles and then it went all electrical and ****************. It sounded great, otherwise.

C'mon man, you know I'm not talking about the toys Fishman makes..

Comment

Working...
                              X