do you like mediums (strings)?

PerfectTommy

• Members

i have a rosewood dreadnaught and a rosewood 00 (both Larrivee). i was given a gift of Elixir Polyweb mediums 80/20 bronze (.013-.056) and just can't get into them. they aren't significantly more difficult to play (as i thought they might) and they are supposed to be stellar (recommended by a New Orleans-based pro, so...). they just don't sound 'right'.

do any of you use mediums; if so, on what guitar (configuration and size)? it seems one of my guitars would prefer them, although i believe both came originally with lights (and are set up for lights). i would think one's style of play would make a difference, too: hard playing would probably require stouter strings, correct? my style, clumsy, slow and amateurish, just doesn't do well with the mediums.

i've asked elsewhere: what are the guidelines/rules/theory on lights v. mediums?

btw: i have two more packages; if you'd like to trade your lights for them, let me know.

• Members

Mediums on my resontators tuned to G or D, mediums or heavies on my 12 strings tuned 2 to 4 semi tones down. Lights on everything else, including my D18. 10's on the Lester. I'm a finger picker, fwiw, flesh and nails.

I'll also add that when I did my side by side comparison, I did not care for Polys but I do like Nanos (they are my go to strings). I did not care for 80/20's, but do like PB's (ditto). Milage should and will vary.

• Members

13's on My Taylor Jumbo and Martin D 35. Running 12's on my Yairi since I discovered a slight elevation at the back of the bridge. (Just enough to slide a piece of paper under). 12's on my Alvarez MF80, as it is a GC size body.

Mediums sound much better, especially the bottom end and overall balance. They also last longer and I cannot remember when I broke one. Anything lighter than a 12 that is not on an electric guitar is strictly for thithies. :)

• Members

I suspect your problem may not be the gauge, but the string composition. I dislike 80/20 in general, and coated strings in particular. Tin City. YMMV.

I do like 13's on my dread, just because that guitar seems to kind of require 13's to sound its best.

I use 12's on my jumbo, though. They sound good, and the very slightly longer scale on that git would probably murder me with 13's on there. I also use 12's on my 000. I guess I mostly let the guitar determine what I put on it. I like lighter strings if the guitar still sounds very good with 'em, but I wouldn't trade away tone.

• Members

I've currently got DR Sunbeam 10's on my dread (only fresh strings I had) and I have to say that aside from less volume I really like them. I'm toying with leaving them on there and just using it amplified from now on. It's like playing an electric that sounds like an acoustic. No fighting the guitar! Pretty sure this is the "Zager" effect, but I can see the appeal. I've only ever used these strings on cheap guitars for beginners, but it's a whole different sound on a decent resonant guitar.

• Members

i have a rosewood dreadnaught and a rosewood 00 i was given a gift of Elixir Polyweb mediums 80/20 bronze (.013-.056) and just can't get into them. they aren't significantly more difficult to play (as i thought they might) and they are supposed to be stellar they just don't sound 'right'.

do any of you use mediums; if so, on what guitar (configuration and size)? it seems one of my guitars would prefer them, although i believe both came originally with lights (and are set up for lights). i would think one's style of play would make a difference, too: hard playing would probably require stouter strings, correct? my style, clumsy, slow and amateurish, just doesn't do well with the mediums.

i've asked elsewhere: what are the guidelines/rules/theory on lights v. mediums?.

hi Tommy, coated strings sound like strings with a coating on them - to me - on my guitars !, cedar- r/wood and spruce - r/wood - they also 'feel odd'.

I only use mediums 13 - 56 Newtone Masters or DR Rare PB's. on 25.5 scale length but I don't ever play in 'standard' tuning. It's all about getting a 'TENSION' under your fingers that your happy with.

Seorie

• Members

9's on my electrics

10's on my dreadnoughts (including my 12 string but tuned down to standard D)

11's on my 000 (might try 12's)

15 - 62 on my Eko Ranger VI dreadnought tuned down to standard B (now my baritone git)

La Bella 850HT-B on my classicals & nylon string dred

• Members

Depends. (but I don't wear 'em...LOL)

Two dreads, a 12-er and a 6-er. The Martie 12-er is happy with 12-53, which would be considered "mediums" for a 12-er. Naturally, the git is tuned down.

However, the all-hog GAD-25 does not play well with anything bigger than 11-50. The git loses all balance, the bass becomes overwhelming and the trebles nearly unheard.

• Members

One of the things I have learned about using mediums is that you gotta know when to change'em. I used to leave them on too long because, 1) I was lazy and 2) I'm cheap. The longer they are on the git, the less (obvious) life they have. They get tighter and tighter continuously losing more tonal quality. Also, it seems as though they put more tension on your guitar. They get harder to play and just sound like $#!+. YMMV, but once I learned to spot the point of no return, I change them asap. This makes for a lot better relationship.

Archived