NGD: Martin OM-28 Marquis

Sangemon

• Members

While you're at it, how about a little gold man belt buckle....hub caps...hood ornament.....earrings for Mrs. Tom......okay, okay, I'll stop there. :lol:

No wonder my keyboard doesn't work worth a hoot - it's drowning in drool. That git is absolutely gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

Congrats and Enjoy!!

smiling-goat13.jpg

• Members

Congrats!

How does it compare to your OM-35? I've been thinking about possibly getting myself a OM-35 sunburst or ambertone
:)

The two are different. The OM-35, which is a 1935 Sunburst:

DSCN1267-1.jpg

has a bit more growl and volume, and the OM-28 has a sweeter, bell-like quality which is really captivating. The low end on the OM-35 is thumpier, the OM-28 has a beautifully resonant deep low voice. The OM-28 also seems a bit more articulated. The notes are more defined which may be partially due to the wider string spacing at the bridge (it's 2-3/8" as opposed to 2-1/4" on the OM-35). The OM-35 is Sitka, the OM-28 has an Adirondack Spruce top which has a very tight grain pattern and some really nice subtle silking.

• Members

The two are different. The OM-35, which is a 1935 Sunburst... has a bit more growl and volume, and the OM-28 has a sweeter, bell-like quality which is really captivating. The low end on the OM-35 is thumpier, the OM-28 has a beautifully resonant deep low voice.

This sounds kinda surprising... I would have expected quite the opposite. But then I've only played D-35 and OM-28 Marquis, but I have no experience with OM-35 and had assumed it's simply a D-35 in a smaller-body. Per my experience, D-35 is quite rich sounding, with deep bass, very clear trebles. The 28 Marquis was loud, growly, articulate, all perhaps due to the adi top.

Gosh, I miss my old D-35 which I sold in a fundraising effort. It's a 1976 sunburst model. I loved everything about it except the dread size and the 1 11/16" neck width. So maybe there is an OM-35 sunburst or ambertone in my future (perhaps in the far future -- I just made a "grail" guitar acquisition this week).

How did you buy the OM-35? Custom order? From whom and how long was the wait?

My old D-35:

6210306260_5174c9c403_z.jpg

6210306428_d8840ea9d6_z.jpg

• Members

How did you buy the OM-35? Custom order? From whom and how long was the wait?

I ordered the OM-35 over the phone from Jon Garon at My Favorite Guitars, in Naples, FL. The price was surprisingly reasonable, and at one time Jon had some natural tops in stock. If not, or if you want a burst, it's a Custom Shop order. Mine is a 1935 Sunburst and it took about 3 months.

Archived