What's a modestly priced solid wood acoustic?

sonnyg84

• Members

I would look for a used Martin 15 series, a D-15 or a 000-15. Look for one from before they put out the 15M series in 2010. They should go for between $800 - $900 and you can't do better. They are consistently good.

Here's a 12-fret slothead 000-15S, and here's one of the newer "M" models, all mahogany.

Or, if you prefer, a dreadnought...

...see...I've done all the work for you...

• Members

For less than $1k you can get a new Martin D-15M or 000-15M...

Or a D-16GT or 000-16GT.

With warranty.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/home3

*If interested in a particular model, email them and ask for their best pricing, and they will send you a list of sale prices.

I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way. They just happen to have a great sale price sheet that I like to look at... a lot...

• Members

My vintage nomination is the Harmony H1260:

All solid woods. Red spruce and solid quartersawn one-piece Honduran Mahogany back sides and neck. Spirit varnish finish. Hide glue. Brazilian rosewood fretboard and bridge. Adjustable truss rod unlike an inferior 60's Martin D18. Made in USA in the 60's and 70's. Impossible to reissue.

they sell for $300 to $600 depending on the need for a reset. Want to hear one? Listen to the intro to Stairway to Heaven.

Lots of people have their own definition of what "vintage" means. I define it as something impossible to recreate today in terms of a reissue for any price remotely associated with what they cost on the market.

The Brazilian rosewood, large quartersawn mahogany lumber, red spruce, shellac and hide glue would make an exact replica of this guitar cost easily thousands of dollars. But originals show up on Ebay for less than $500 routinely.

Buy it and pay for the reset. They are worth it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARMONY-H1260-SOVEREIGN-GUITAR-1970-NEEDS-NECK-SET-VERY-CLEAN-/380447608720

• Members

I've been curious about the new PRS SE acoustics as well. IMHO they look quite nice and the pricing is very attractive. There's a mahogany version as well for a little less $. The sides are lam, but I couldn't give a rip. Good for stability, and if sides impact tone in some way, my ears are not good enough to notice.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/prs-se-angelus-custom-acoustic-model-with-case--SEAC.htm

• Members

There is an Avalon Gold Series on e bay for $899.

I've played these and not come across a better solid wood dread in that price range.

Hey, Knock. How come you haven't been to Rudy's in Soho and I have?

I don't believe I am that much worse a git junkie than you! Next trip Mandolin Bros. Might be able to afford a pick there. :)

(PRS headstock butt ugly imho)

• Members

There is an Avalon Gold Series on e bay for $899.

I've played these and not come across a better solid wood dread in that price range.

Hey, Knock. How come you haven't been to Rudy's in Soho and I have?

I don't believe I am that much worse a git junkie than you! Next trip Mandolin Bros. Might be able to afford a pick there.
:)

(PRS headstock butt ugly imho)

You've been to Rudy's in Soho wile I have not because my mantra is, "Never leave the apartment." Sometimes I slip, but for the most part I am able to maintain discipline.

I have been to Mandolin Bros., though. Almost walked right past it - doesn't look like anything at all from the outside. No flash on the inside either, really... except for the inventory. HOLY CRAP.

I agree with you about the PRS headstock, although I like the overall look of the git. At least the hs shape is consistent with that of gits in PRS' high end offerings. For some reason, *reasonably priced* acoustics are often marred by either a bizarre/fugly/hideous headstock shape or a tacky logo. It's like the manufacturer is trying to punish you for not spending thousands more on their high end schtupf.

Edit: Now that you mention Avalon's Gold Series and Mandolin Bros. in the same post... Mandolin Brothers used to have its own line of Gold Series Avalons that were made in the factory in Ireland. If they happen to have any left, what an amazing score that would be for someone. Truly awful that the git world is losing such an excellent company.

• Members

A Few that may be worth consideration

Martin DRS2

http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_drs2_specs[video=youtube;70X7vpPHTMo]

Or one of the Yamaha L series

http://www.kraftmusic.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/l/yamaha/price:8,100/6-strings/

[video=youtube;GVYbyKTb92k]

and another mention about the PRS

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSANCU?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CIq5ud2p1LACFYeo4AodSnbM1w

[video=youtube;X7YJaX5F77g]

And the Crafter Garth mentioned would be another possible consideration, Crafter does make some nice guitars.

• Members

I have a Seagull SMS Maritime (acoustic only with a TRIC case I am selling. $500 shipped, paypal gift. Just bought a Rainsong or else I'd keep it. I have a S6 Dread and an S6+ Cutaway electa/acoustic going up too. i like Seagulls/Godins, but, my house is damp, Michigan is cold/humid, and I am gigging more so I took the plunge to Carbon Fiber. Keeping only my Wechter Pathfinder as a backup, and that over the Seagulls because I think they are more sellable.

• Members

I'm looking into one of these:

They make one with solid rosewood back and sides for $100 more. Both seem like a lot of guitar for the money.

I have the Yamaha A3R and indeed it's a lot for the money.

The acoustic sound is very well balanced, silky, no loud and honky mids, no boomyness thought it's a dreadnought, but a little bit lacking on the volume side, though mine is relatively new and already got a little louder after slightly opening up.

Therefore i would not recommend it if you don't play amplified, because for the same price you could get a slighlty louder instrument, though the A3R has a very sweet voice, with great dynamics, great neck, intonation, action (if you sand the saddle),the only drawback is the plastic nut, saddle, bridgepin combo, a bit unbelievable for an instrument of this class. Come on, Tusq is not very expensive and i would have paid 50 buck more to get this instead of plastic.

I would recommend it if you play amplified as the S.R.T system is really one of the best ready made integrated systems, just check Dave Goodmans video with the sound coming only from the guitar's output jack:

and

Very efficient and unobtrusive feedback suppressor, tuner, etc...

But beware if you intend to use body percussion, the S.R.T system doesn't really pick percussion on the guitar's body (too muffled) and if you intend to play in a "Candyrat way" you'll be disappointed and go for a microphone.

• Members

How about Eastman? I played a E20SS at McCabe's and it was fantastic.

I own the AC720 and it is also a very fine guitar. I had never heard of Eastman but I accidentally dinged this guitar in a store. I wanted to make good and the owner said I could buy it for $700 or give him $300 to discount it. I decided to buy it and then really delved into the Eastman line. When the label says Hand Crafted In China, I tend to believe it because the guitar plays and sounds so great.

Still a bit of an unknown brand but there's a small cult growing around this line. I think they are much better than Blueridge which I also like as a budget guitar.

E20SS spruce rosewood I believe costs about 1200 with some online dealer willing to go 1000. The E10SS spruce/mahogany is a couple hundred cheaper

Archived