Using Fishing Line For Classical Guitar Strings

Sgt. Rock

• Members

According to Jose Ramirez:

Classical guitar maestro Andres Segovia started using fishing line from the DuPont company for some of his strings and encouraged guitar builders to pursue this new material. The result was the development of a much more reliable and trouble free E, B and G string for the concert classical guitar and a marked increase in the cat population..(just kidding about the cats. ;))

• Members

Do you have a pounds test/string tension conversion chart? :poke:

Hey, just a thought, if you put some small sinkers on the strings about 2" up from the bridge, I bet you'd get some hell-a-tious sustain, huh? :thu:

• Members

Monofilament. That makes sense, I suppose. Don't think I'd bother nowadays, though. Would require me to experiment with weights of line that I'd have no other use for.

On t'other hand, though ... buying in bulk rolls might save some money. If I were inclined to change my nylon stringed guitars more often than I do, which isn't very frequently.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

hi from Jerry Roberts in nashville.

Lenny did indeed use "fishin line" for the hi a string". i am quite sure since i sold him that 7stg classical back in the 1970s. i built a nut with spacing he liked better. I notched it to suit the string diameters and gave Lenny what unfortunately proved to be a lifetime supply of that line.

i had tried about a hundred different strings for hi g and hi a on my lute and vihuela, including some marketed as lute strings (expensive) and I also tried every brand of fishing line available. one fishing line made a better hi a than the expensive lute strings. it was dupont stren 25 lb test, i do not think that is available now. I seemed to be very high density nylon but thin enough to tune high and would last a few weeks before breaking in the middle of a gig.

when Lenny Moved to LA, Kirk Sand did more (and i'm sure better) setup on that Japanese classical for Lenny. Kirk also made a wonderful 7stg solidbody elec for Lenny.

that 7stg classical I sold Lenny was made in the big Matsuoka workshop in Japan and was imported by the late George Dauphinais of Springfield IL, who was a real gentleman and a credit to the classical guitar world. George sold those guitars under his brandname DAUPHIN. I was one of George's distributors at the time and when Lenny needed a 7stg I arranged for some creative financing since Lenny was short of cash as always. When my friend and mentor Chet Atkins heard Lenny on that guitar he told me he wanted one too. Of course he could afford a handmade instrument from an individual luthier so I sold him a nicer 7str made by master luthier Eric Sahlin of Spokane WA. That Sahlin is one of the guitars still in Chet's family. Those were the good old days. I sure wish Chet and Lenny were still with us.

Regards,

Jerry Roberts

615-269-3929

jerryrobertsguitars@gmail.com

ebay id: jerrymroberts

• Members

Lenny did indeed use "fishin line" for the hi a string". i am quite sure since i sold him that 7stg classical back in the 1970s. i built a nut with spacing he liked better. I notched it to suit the string diameters and gave Lenny what unfortunately proved to be a lifetime supply of that line.

i had tried about a hundred different strings for hi g and hi a on my lute and vihuela, including some marketed as lute strings (expensive) and I also tried every brand of fishing line available. one fishing line made a better hi a than the expensive lute strings. it was dupont stren 25 lb test, i do not think that is available now. I seemed to be very high density nylon but thin enough to tune high and would last a few weeks before breaking in the middle of a gig.

when Lenny Moved to LA, Kirk Sand did more (and i'm sure better) setup on that Japanese classical for Lenny. Kirk also made a wonderful 7stg solidbody elec for Lenny.

that 7stg classical I sold Lenny was made in the big Matsuoka workshop in Japan and was imported by the late George Dauphinais of Springfield IL, who was a real gentleman and a credit to the classical guitar world. George sold those guitars under his brandname DAUPHIN. I was one of George's distributors at the time and when Lenny needed a 7stg I arranged for some creative financing since Lenny was short of cash as always. When my friend and mentor Chet Atkins heard Lenny on that guitar he told me he wanted one too. Of course he could afford a handmade instrument from an individual luthier so I sold him a nicer 7str made by master luthier Eric Sahlin of Spokane WA. That Sahlin is one of the guitars still in Chet's family. Those were the good old days. I sure wish Chet and Lenny were still with us.

Regards,

Jerry Roberts

615-269-3929

jerryrobertsguitars@gmail.com

Thanks for the details! :thu:

• Members

There's a guy here in the UK who just started a new line in strings for the ukulele (D'addario repackaged their classical strings for the uke so similar thing)and when asked on a certain forum whether it was fishing line, he said it was. Alot of ukulele builders will string their ukes up with fishing line, I believe seaguar fishing line is flourocarbon, same as Worth clears, one of the top strings for the ukulele. Not sure I'd want to try it but there you go.

• Members

The great Madagascar guitarist and singer D'Gary played cheap (Giannini?) guitar which he strung with fishing line or wire through necessity, he became a world class musician on this instrument:lol: interpreting Madagascan folk tunes played by traditional ensembles.

heres a picture of him with his original plywood guitar

dgary1stcd.jpg

[video=youtube;ns5QaZaaDdE]

more

• Members

Regards,

Jerry Roberts

615-269-3929

Thank you for posting Mr. Roberts. How did that line sound on your lute and vihuela?

For those here who aren't familiar with Jerry Roberts: he is a legend in the world of classical guitar sales, a gentleman, and just a wonderful person.

• Members

There's a guy here in the UK who just started a new line in strings for the ukulele (D'addario repackaged their classical strings for the uke so similar thing)and when asked on a certain forum whether it was fishing line, he said it was. Alot of ukulele builders will string their ukes up with fishing line, I believe seaguar fishing line is flourocarbon, same as Worth clears, one of the top strings for the ukulele. Not sure I'd want to try it but there you go.

I do not know about classical guitar strings, but I do know good fluorocarbon fishing line makes good uke strings, that's all that Worth, Fremont, Martin (the new) and any other uke strings really are. Not all the same gauge, but fishing line nonetheless. You'd have to figure out what tensions you desire, then buy 6 rolls, or 4 for a uke. Could be cheaper. Fluorocarbon strings, in my experience, are the most stable, and not as heat-reactive as regular nylon. I have no idea why, but it just is.

• Members

I do not know about classical guitar strings, but I do know good fluorocarbon fishing line makes good uke strings, that's all that Worth, Fremont, Martin (the new) and any other uke strings really are. Not all the same gauge, but fishing line nonetheless. You'd have to figure out what tensions you desire, then buy 6 rolls, or 4 for a uke. Could be cheaper. Fluorocarbon strings, in my experience, are the most stable, and not as heat-reactive as regular nylon. I have no idea why, but it just is.

Yep, a ukulele maker here in the UK has 4 rolls of varying gauge on his bench. He does the final set-up and strings em up with the line. I agree on flourocarbon. My pono is strung with flourocarbon strings (worth) and they're the best I've found.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

So i need help, im from lindon. Im making modern african harps and was told to use standard nylin guitar strings. I have the clear ones, i i ju need the black ones. People dont sell them individually in london you gave gave to buy whole pack. I dont need whole pack and its too expensive. Someone mentioned you xan use fishing wire. I need it for 3rd g string, 2nd b string and 1st e string. Do you know what fishing wire in black can work for this?

or anywhere that sells the black strings individually?

Joie..

2b6c298e3736eb5f0b07e620816c0fa1.thumb.jpg.d885e5b9eb16705b155b320b7e7135ee.jpg

• Members

Joie, its a far more complex problem than just putting a piece of nylon fishing line on your instrument. There is a complex relationship between the vibrating frequency of a string and its tension, length, and a material property called "unit mass". I would suggest that you send an inquiry to D'Addario string company. Address it to Fan Tao, their director of research.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/fan-tao-a81462b

I have attended several seminars where Tao addresses the problem of finding strings for odd ball instruments. If you have any luck how about letting us know and post some information about you and your instruments

Archived