What's the best rig for live acoustic guitar these days?

MrKnobs

• Members

Best is a moving target variable based exclusively on what you want. I would like to have a nice LR Baggs dual source on-board system thru a modeling foot switch handling my presets and out to a Fishstick. I have the Baggs on-board system but I'm direct into a Fender Acoustasonic 80 watt, which isn't a dull ride at all. It's just real heavy and the FX are on the panel. I usually only put in a touch of reverb, anyway, but we're talking flexibility here and not necessarily just me. I just had the amp disassembled and all the electrical stuff cleaned. Sounds great but it didn't remove any weight.

Whatever you get be sure you have good control over feedback because the typical Piezo p'ups will get cranky. What I do to minimize that is turn the onboard preamp up where it just begins to power the Piezo signal out from flat. Those little things are real sensitive so they don't need much gain going out. Then I turn the amp gain pretty high. Then I roll the master amp volume in until the guitar is just audible and adjust the Notch control to cancel the feedback. I move between the master volume and Notch control until the volume is where I want it with no feed back. This has so far proven to be a number match on the Volume and Notch settings where a Volume of 3 is a Notch of 3. It works that way on this Fender amp.

I also find that a low guitar preamp gain pushing the Piezo p'ups keeps them well below quack territory. That means the acoustic quality is better at low gain. This will probably be the best way of maintaining acoustic guitar sound quality in any set-up. It is with my other guitar mounting a K&K PWM thru a K&K preamp. That system is particularly sensitive to preamp gain.

Regarding guitar on-board systems, I prefer the Baggs, then K&K. Talking systems, not just transducers. I've use the B-Band, Fishman, above two, and factory systems from Seagull and Yamaha. Yamaha IMHO, makes the best factory systems and is at or above Baggs sound quality. B-Band isn't a slouch but I did have some reliability issues. They have gotten better according to the folks at the Guitar Factory here in Orlando. I think Fishman has come a long way in their mag p'ups. Their acoustic systems I found gimmicky when I had them. One that I have not used but looks interesting is the D-TAR Acoustic.

http://www.d-tar.com/

Last word: I've heard some systems being played and the sound isn't right at all. Turns out it's because the guitar and the amp are out of phase with each other. Ensure the amp you choose has the Phase control on the panel. Some don't.

• Members

I play an Adamas W597 carbon-fiber acoustic through a 90's model TA 200 Trace Acoustic Amp. I have an Ovation Custom Legend 2079AX with the deep contour and the OP-Pro Studio preamp. The preamp in this guitar has an onboard exciter/limiter. You can compress the note and it doesn't choke out all your highs. If you have the cash the Trace Elliot is well worth it. You will never be overpowered by a band again and solo they sound better than anything I've heard. IMHO! Find a decent compressor. They work wonders when you play fingerstyle. I also use 2 30-watt Crate amps through a stereo chorus. If you're playing a small room, they sound awesome. I play acoustic guitar almost solely, and I have for over 30 years. I have played through most everything out there. A good DI run into a PA works better than anything. Go play your guitar through a powered monitor. I've often thought of just using one of those with an efx loop.

• Members

For a natural sound...I like my Bose ...gets nothing but compliments. A number of 3-4 piece bands in the Tampa are use them in conjunction with other equipment.

I also use my Crate Durango Acoustic Amp....has DSP built in and two channels with dual mic and guitar inputs...sounds very natural and TONS of power. They list around $599. Negatives....heavy to lug around...the Bose is a fraction of the weight.

I have used both....the bose for vocals only and the Crate to overcome a loud bar/large area venue.

• Members

I prefer to plug directly into the PA, via a Baggs PADI, and hear myself through the monitors.

But, if that's not an option (having to use a less qualified drummer, who doesn't understand dynamics, for instance), then I like the Crate 60 or 125 watt acoustic amps, and run them into the PA, so that the amp essentially becomes my "guitar monitor".

• Moderators

I prefer to plug directly into the PA, via a Baggs PADI, and hear myself through the monitors.

But, if that's not an option (having to use a less qualified drummer, who doesn't understand dynamics, for instance), then I like the Crate 60 or 125 watt acoustic amps, and run them into the PA, so that the amp essentially becomes my "guitar monitor".

From my soundman perspective, or when I'm playing with pro sound provided, I'm a firm believer in just go DI.

I'm asking, though, for my musical partner Julie. We often play shows where there's no PA provided (she then uses her EONs on a stick for vocals only), or there's a PA but no soundman, or no monitors, all the usual problems you expect at small places.

So it's good for all of us in those situations to have our own small amp to hear ourselves, especially her as she likes an inordinate amount of herself in any monitor provided. Having her acoustic through the monitor also will cause our backup singers to stop singing or possibly vacate the venue. Having her acoustic through a little amp behind her and not facing the rest of us works well for us, usually.

So we're looking for a solution that fits those varied parameters, which may include buying a little acoustic guitar amp, maybe a pedal of some sort to get the best tone, and definitely a better guitar for her as she currently plays with an inexpensive Fender acoustic that we had to glue the headstock back on recently.

Terry D.

• Members

From my soundman perspective, or when I'm playing with pro sound provided, I'm a firm believer in just go DI.

I'm asking, though, for my musical partner Julie. We often play shows where there's no PA provided (she then uses her EONs on a stick for vocals only), or there's a PA but no soundman, or no monitors, all the usual problems you expect at small places.

So it's good for all of us in those situations to have our own small amp to hear ourselves, especially her as she likes an inordinate amount of herself in any monitor provided. Having her acoustic through the monitor also will cause our backup singers to stop singing or possibly vacate the venue. Having her acoustic through a little amp behind her and not facing the rest of us works well for us, usually.

So we're looking for a solution that fits those varied parameters, which may include buying a little acoustic guitar amp, maybe a pedal of some sort to get the best tone, and definitely a better guitar for her as she currently plays with an inexpensive Fender acoustic that we had to glue the headstock back on recently.

Terry D.

Sounds like the Crate CA125 (or whatever the new models're called these days) would be a good match, then.

p3169h-783eb4b1d665d6e5a7c4fabe4f70168c.

• Members

...we're looking for a solution that fits those varied parameters, which may include buying a little acoustic guitar amp, maybe a pedal of some sort to get the best tone, and definitely a better guitar for her as she currently plays with an inexpensive Fender acoustic that we had to glue the headstock back on recently.

My best guesses based on the needs you laid out...

Little acoustic amp: I recommend those green Crate amps. They're still making those, right? They're pretty inexpensive and come in all sorts of sizes. Just make sure you get one that's powerful enough for your needs. I played in a rock band with someone that had the 30 watt one and it was woefully inadequate, but a bigger one would have been just fine.

Pedal of some sort: I love my Baggs Para DI. Other than that, I don't like to get too crazy with pedals on acoustic.

A better guitar: My personal opinion is that great plugged-in tone on acoustic starts with great unplugged tone. Some guitars come with great electronics built in, but a lot don't, especially in lower price ranges. Beyond that, it's all about your price range. Have Julie try out as many guitars as possible, because ultimately what sounds/feels best to her is most important.

• Moderators

A better guitar: My personal opinion is that great plugged-in tone on acoustic starts with great unplugged tone. Some guitars come with great electronics built in, but a lot don't, especially in lower price ranges. Beyond that, it's all about your price range. Have Julie try out as many guitars as possible, because ultimately what sounds/feels best to her is most important.

She's definitely planning on getting a better guitar also.

She's been looking in the $2,000 range but I'm strongly advising her not to spend that much on a gigging acoustic as, with as many shows as she / we play, and as careless as she is with equipment, it will surely be stolen or crunched. I'm recommending a little Martin 000 for around $800 or less as a compromise between tone and lack of dread while gigging. ;)

She's been playing that Fender for 11 years, must have put nearly 1,000 shows on it so she definitely got her money's worth. The repair is holding so far (the headstock break was not near the truss bar) so it's still playable. Photo below is after releasing the clamps and before scraping the excess glue off. Not bad for a crack that was wide enough to slip a penny in.

FenderDamageSM.jpg

Terry D.

• Members

This will surprise NOBODY: yamaha made an excellent sailboat for a while in the 80s.

General motors, IBM, Underwood Typewriter Company, and Rock-Ola jukebox all made M1 carbines during ww2.

I agree with Ellen. Start with a good, solid wood guitar first (whatever she likes) and go from there. The signal chain depends on the venue imo. I have a fishman mini loudbox that I gig with for intimate gigs at small clubs (nice and small/light). On a large stage in front of a bit crowd I either mic it (solo) or use a Baggs M1 and an EQ stomp box.. There are so many choices now that there is something for everyone.

• Members

She's been looking in the $2,000 range but I'm strongly advising her not to spend that much on a gigging acoustic as, with as many shows as she / we play, and as careless as she is with equipment, it will surely be stolen or crunched. I'm recommending a little Martin 000 for around $800 or less as a compromise between tone and lack of dread while gigging.
;)
. . .

A used pro-level Takamine, maybe a NEX (mini jumbo) would probably do nicely. They have excellent electronics and make great stage guitars. Keep an eye on your local CraigsList or equivalent. A straight acoustic with a good pickup is also a good option.

• Members

She's been looking in the $2,000 range but I'm strongly advising her not to spend that much on a gigging acoustic as, with as many shows as she / we play, and as careless as she is with equipment, it will surely be stolen or crunched. I'm recommending a little Martin 000 for around $800 or less as a compromise between tone and lack of dread while gigging.
;)

She's been playing that Fender for 11 years, must have put nearly 1,000 shows on it so she definitely got her money's worth. The repair is holding so far (the headstock break was not near the truss bar) so it's still playable. Photo below is after releasing the clamps and before scraping the excess glue off. Not bad for a crack that was wide enough to slip a penny in.

FenderDamageSM.jpg

Terry D.

That repair job looks excellent to me. It's hard to tell from only one photo angle but that appears to be a very good job. Someone with decent refinishing skills could make that one look almost invisible.....just an observation.

• Members

;)

That is a gnarly break! Glad the repair is holding.

I would echo your thoughts about looking cheaper, especially if you're sure she's going to bang it up. DeepEnd's suggestion to look used is good. You can get a lot of guitar for >$700 on Craigslist, depending on what area you're in. Plus then she can save all that leftover cash for really high quality gigging gear like the Para DI or an awesome amp.

• Members

I recently sold a Alvarez Masterworks MD80. It was a Pac-Rim guitar, but was solid hog with engleman top. The only mod I made was the addition of a bone nut. I had about $250 in it. Very nice guitar that was loud and stayed in tune and played like butter. I sometimes wish I had it back. Several people here on the HCAG were buying them when MF and others had them on closeouts. All that said, I'm sure there are others out there to be had and most likely for around that money. I was never disappointed with that guitar and I played it in front of people of many occassions. I still own an Alvarez MF80c that I purchased at the same time for finger picking. It too was from the Alvarez solid wood Masterworks series. Excellent instrument as well. Just a thought....

EDIT:

I found this one on ebay. It is the exact guitar. Not suggesting you buy it, I'm just pointing it out as it is the exact guitar I owned. The guy wants too much for it IMO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALVAREZ-MD80-MASTERWORKS-SERIES-International-Buyers-Welcome-/280966140294?pt=Guitar&hash=item416ae31186

Here is an MD90 that looks really good too. EIRosewood. I am a big fan of the Masterworks guitars because you can get them for a decent price considering the fact that they are solid wood instruments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alvarez-Acoustic-MD90-Indian-Rose-Wood-Mother-of-Pearl-Inlay-Light-Wood-Binding-/110918428427?pt=Guitar&hash=item19d340e70b

• Members

General motors, IBM, Underwood Typewriter Company, and Rock-Ola jukebox all made M1 carbines during ww2.

I agree with Ellen. Start with a good, solid wood guitar first (whatever she likes) and go from there. The signal chain depends on the venue imo. I have a fishman mini loudbox that I gig with for intimate gigs at small clubs (nice and small/light). On a large stage in front of a bit crowd I either mic it (solo) or use a Baggs M1 and an EQ stomp box.. There are so many choices now that there is something for everyone.

I knew that. I tried to make the point that yamaha makes whatever it makes to be of decent quality. As usual, I failed to make it clearly. I also noticed that I posted a link to yamaha sailboats in another thread...:facepalm:

• Moderators

That repair job looks excellent to me. It's hard to tell from only one photo angle but that appears to be a very good job. Someone with decent refinishing skills could make that one look almost invisible.....just an observation.

Thanks! I just did it on the spot with some wood glue and clamps. Not worth paying a luthier in town $500 or so to fix a Fender acoustic that can probably be replaced new for less than $500. I did remove the excess glue and smooth the area with fine steel wool so it wouldn't feel rough to play. She's been gigging it a lot and it's still holding up so far *knocks on wood*

The weird thing was it didn't get dropped or whacked (that we know of), she was just playing it during a recording session and it opened up those cracks. :confused:

She has an Epi ES335 looking thing now, semi hollow f hole electric and all I can say is there should be a test for owning one like a driver's license. Demonstrate ability to palm mute and left hand mute or you shouldn't be allowed to play one. :freak:

Terry D.

P.S. Big thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions in this thread. I'll let you know what she decides. :)