A trip down Martin memory lane...

Bullettoothtony

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bullettoothtony View Post
Hey! Not a bad idea...wonder what the security is like at CFM....
Pretty decent, I'd expect. And they have all that glass in front of the most interesting stuff. I was thinking of stealing locally. I generally prefer to buy, but who has the money for that?

Seriously, one little bit that caught my ear was CFM's praise of his ancestor for coming up with a "simple, elegant" headstock design. Martin's headstock shape is so ubiquitous now, so much the standard, that I'd bet very few people tend to think of it as a "design." But it really is, IMHO, an accomplishment and a giant aesthetic element of Martin guitars. One thing I've noticed about {censored}ty guitars is that they almost universally have bat{censored} headstock designs. For me, as an inexperienced but enthusiastic tinkerer, coming up with a headstock design that is at once original and attractive has proven surprisingly difficult. I'm still chasing it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by knockwood View Post
Pretty decent, I'd expect. And they have all that glass in front of the most interesting stuff. I was thinking of stealing locally. I generally prefer to buy, but who has the money for that?

Seriously, one little bit that caught my ear was CFM's praise of his ancestor for coming up with a "simple, elegant" headstock design. Martin's headstock shape is so ubiquitous now, so much the standard, that I'd bet very few people tend to think of it as a "design." But it really is, IMHO, an accomplishment and a giant aesthetic element of Martin guitars. One thing I've noticed about {censored}ty guitars is that they almost universally have bat{censored} headstock designs. For me, as an inexperienced but enthusiastic tinkerer, coming up with a headstock design that is at once original and attractive has proven surprisingly difficult. I'm still chasing it.
I agree. Some headstock designs are just atrocious. As I learn more and more about Martin (and guitars in general) , probably stuff most of you guys knew already, the more my respect for the company grows. The plain fact is this - the 'guitar' as we know it today, did not exist before Martin. X-bracing, headstock shapes, body shapes..they wrote the book on alot of it. Pretty impressive.

Archived