Taylor Imbuia

Peter Doubt

• Members

Starting to think about replacing my stolen instruments and I came upon a used Taylor 716ce LTD with Brazilian Imbuia back and sides and a Sitka spruce top. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I've read good things, but because they're rare I haven't been able to play one. Any experience?
Thanks

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
That imbuia was only available on the limited editions or by special order... and they are a bit expensive. Not too many of them out there.
Yeah, what I've read has been pretty positive and intriguing. I need something to balance out my D-35. I already have a specially made mid-jumbo. I lost my Larrivee C-09. I've got a really good price on this, but because they're so rare, I have to go by word of mouth about tone. I'll have a short grace period.

There are mixed feeling about the GS size 716's in general...some aren't comfortable with needing to use medium gauge strings to push the top. Personally, I played a couple and didn't even realize they had mediums on them., even after playing a 714 right after with lights. Had to be told, and then went, 'Oh, yeah'. One of my concerns is I would want to use it for some alternate tuning work and some fingerpicking.
Looks like I'll find out next week sometime on my own. Still learning about the Taylor line and it's voicings. Any advice is appreciated.

Archived