Decent acoustic/electric < $300 recommendations

ledvedder

• Members

That's a tall order. For a decent A/E at that price point, I'm thinking you are going to be looking at used Yamah, Epi Masterbilt, or Seagull. You might luck up and find one of the used Martin X series at that price, or maybe a Taylor 110E.

• Members

Decent electronics alone costs over 1/2 your budget.
Thats the problem with acoustic electrics in that price range, they skimp like hell on the electric bits.
I'd just get a decent acoustic for $200 to $300, then save up another $100 to $200 for a good pickup system.
My fav undersaddle pickup is the LR Baggs Element, they go from $120 to $140 or so. I like it better than a Fishman undersaddle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

Yamaha FG700S - $200. Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup - $150. Maybe pay a tech $35 -$50 to install it or do it yourself. Total - $350 - $400. Voila! Instant budget A/E.

I don't know diddly-squat about pickups, but I'd have to agree with FF that buying a Yamaha FG700S and adding a pickup to it would be the way to go. I'll take his word on the Fishman Matrix Infinity. I think the end result would be a better all-around A/E guitar for your budget.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

Actually, there are several decent pickup systems available in that price range. The Fishman was just one of the ones I knew about right off.

Yeah, the K&K pickups are easy to install (though not for use with a full band setup). Also, anything soundhole would be an easy self-install option. The Baggs M1a gets all kinds of rave reviews.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mike003 View Post
I agree, Washburns are pretty good bang for buck. My advice is to scour Craigslist,pawnshops and local want ads. It seems somebody is always selling a guitar. I have picked up a couple of used Seagull S6 for $150 each. Like FF said, you could electrify a good second hand guitar for not a whole lot. I also have bought a terrific made-in-Japan Takamine A/E at a pawnshop for $300. Buy used and you get twice the guitar for your money.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder

View Post

Is anyone familiar with the differences between the FGX700 and the FGX730? How is the built in System55T?

Haven't played the FGX700 but the 730 is a great buy. Good sound unplugged and the pickup works great. Almost as good as my pro level Tak, but not quite.

Archived