A great string lubricant!

FretFiend.

• Members

Do you think they'll ever develop the wound strings into some kind of construction that virtually eliminates noise? I tried one brand's flat wounds but they were sticky because they're ground flat leaving sharp edges between the flat and the radius. It tends to grab and check smooth finger motion. Annoying. There's another brand that has flat windings that are pressed flat leaving no sharp edge demarkation between the flat and radius but I didn't like their sound.

I really think, though, that strings are overrated and we need to redevelop the guitars to have touch sensors on the FB and Doppler enhanced proximity sensors for strings that can be tweaked for the various picking techniques. Oh, and plastique absorbed into the soundboard with tapping-frequency (Stairway and other options available) sensitive blasting caps situated on the soundboard just beneath the natural lay of the picking arm (normal string frequencies nulled for safety, of course).

• Members

I'm another one who thinks strings are over-rated. I've tried cheap ones and expensive ones and, to my ears, the cheap ones, in a lot of cases, served me as well as the more expensive brands. I bought a 3-Pak of D'Addario EXPs one time because those were what came on one particular guitar I bought new. Didn't like 'em after spending the money on 'em. Way too squeaky for me. I guess I should've already known this since I was having the same problem with the original strings, but at the time I just thought there was something wrong with the the ones that came on the guitar I'd bought. I've since found out that ALL D'Addario strings are squeaky. Live and learn.

I've settled on Martin SP lights for the most part. (MSP4100). They're inexpensive, sound as good to me as any of the others and I seem to get a long life out of them. I also like Martins cheap bluegrass strings on my Yamaha. Gives me the bass response I want.

I don't use anything in the way of lubricant on my strings. Never felt it was necessary.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar

View Post

DNA on your gits matched. It was easier and I believe the words less disturbing were used. Queasy forensics techs. Man this new generation is just not gonna make it when Momma dies.

OK, I understand. But while I've got you here, doc, take a look at this; would you? I think I'm getting an abscess beneath this #18 molar.

Archived