N.G.D.

MichaelYoung

• Members

So i posted earlier about a trade that i was interested in.... I would be trading off my Les Paul Classic for a Martin d28. Well... the trade is done and now i own my first Martin d28.. It is a 2006 model. It sounds ok, i was really hoping for a glorious experience, but it does have old strings on it, so im convinced that with new strings and a setup, it's voice will return..... and don't get me wrong, It doesn't sound bad, I just think it needs some strings. anyway. Love the feel and love the neck. I now realize what all the talk is about with these. Thanks for your input and helping me make the leap.

• Members

Does it look like it's been played much, or is it a closet queen? It may just need some playing hours on it.

Make sure it's not over humidified. If it needs it, get a good setup on it. Put a set of Martin MSP 3200 or 4200 strings on it. Don't put any wimpy light strings on it. Play the hell out of it. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Pictures are expected. cop.gif

• Members

Looks like someone has cut or removed the strap that holds the case top up. That's pretty common. Comes from a paranoia that the top will fall on the guitar and ding it. Mine's the same way.

Seems that the D-28 is a guitar that doesn't really begin to shine until it's a few years old and got some mojo on it. I hope you enjoy putting those hours on that one. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
Does it look like it's been played much, or is it a closet queen? It may just need some playing hours on it.

Make sure it's not over humidified. If it needs it, get a good setup on it. Put a set of Martin MSP 3200 or 4200 strings on it. Don't put any wimpy light strings on it. Play the hell out of it. Totally_jammin_out.gif

Pictures are expected. cop.gif
I agree with FF, mediums will make your guitar louder and sound fuller.

• Members

Congratulations! What style of music will be playing on it?

+1 on keeping it strung with medium gauge strings. Being that you traded an electric for it forgive me if I assume that you'll be going light gauge. The D-28 was built to handle mediums though and as such they're almost needed to fully realize the guitar's potential. As for setup, I'd highly recommend getting it adjusted to fit your tastes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung View Post
What size do you all think.... 13 to 57s ?
Me, I'd try both a .012 - .053/.054 set and a .013 - .056/.57 set, in both 80/20 and Phos. Bronze (so, 4 sets in all) and, at that point, see which I, over-all, liked best. Likely a 3-4 month process of elimination.

The heavier set will probably be somewhat louder and probably have a deeper bass (which can, for some, be too much of a good thing), but the lighter set won't be "wimpy", will possibly be more comfortable for your fretting hand, and may well give your new guitar a more pleasing balance, tonally.

Once done, try different brands until you settle on what set/brand you prefer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Congratulations! What style of music will be playing on it?

+1 on keeping it strung with medium gauge strings. Being that you traded an electric for it forgive me if I assume that you'll be going light gauge. The D-28 was built to handle mediums though and as such they're almost needed to fully realize the guitar's potential. As for setup, I'd highly recommend getting it adjusted to fit your tastes.
I'll be playing bluegrass

Archived