Gibson jumbos and their copies

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

As a builder I cannot help but admire the fineries of the flamed maple back and sides of the J200 and the humour in the bridge.

Many Gibson jumbo lovers seem to prefer the J100, and to all intents and purposes it does seem to the J100 what the LP Std is to the LP Custom, and tonally they ain't too far apart........?

Are there any analogues of the J200, ie with maple back n sides, and which of the J100 analogues rule sin the copy world, cause I'm {censored}ed if I can find one

• Members

Guild F50 comes to mind. Classic maple backed Jumbo. I personally prefer the Guild, in my opinion Gibbys are priced too high and tend to have some consistency issues. I've play amazing Gibbys and some that just don't impress. I would A/B the SJ200 with a F50 before spending the additional $$$ for the Gibby.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by acousticdepot

View Post

TAH is the resident Jumbo expert ... I believe he plays Guilds ... not sure if there is a version with Maple b/s

Sure, the JF-30 is a great Jumbo w/ Maple b/s. A fancier Maple Guild is the F-50.

Another excellent Maple Jumbo is the Taylor 615.

Quote Originally Posted by missedmyexit

View Post

Guild F50 comes to mind. Classic maple backed Jumbo. I personally prefer the Guild, in my opinion Gibbys are priced too high and tend to have some consistency issues. I've play amazing Gibbys and some that just don't impress. I would A/B the SJ200 with a F50 before spending the additional $$$ for the Gibby.

2nd this...J200s can be great, F-50s simply are.

• Members

In my opinion Guild jumbos can be a bit brighter than Gibsons....I think because they don't scallop braces as much. Taylor also makes a bright maple jumbo...or at least did.

I think the idea with these is that you have to build in brightness to compensate for the size of a Jumbo throwing the balance off toward bass....hence using maple.....

I think a round lower bout is more balanced and efficient than other shapes regardless of size.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo

View Post

In my opinion Guild jumbos can be a bit brighter than Gibsons....I think because they don't scallop braces as much. Taylor also makes a bright maple jumbo...or at least did.

I think the idea with these is that you have to build in brightness to compensate for the size of a Jumbo throwing the balance off toward bass....hence using maple.....

I think a round lower bout is more balanced and efficient than other shapes regardless of size.

Careful there, gc, your slip is showing.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by katopp

View Post

Our chaotic Englishman is (still) at the receiving end of a half decent J200 knockoff that he got as a part of a caper...

Jimmy, tell us about that geetah!

Pray tell, of this "chaotic Englishman" of whom you speak.

Of what manor is he, and down which lane would I find him.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

Pray tell, of this "chaotic Englishman" of whom you speak.

Of what manor is he, and down which lane would I find him.

Ye shalt look him up by the name of Jimmychaos, as he is known 'ere.

He's supposed to be a Brummie or the likes as I can't Tell yer accents apart, like.

• Members

View Post

At the moment I'm leaning pretty strongly towards a used Takamine EG523SC

I've seen mixed reviews on those. Be sure to play it first. Alvarez makes a maple jumbo, the AJ80, but I don't know if they'd be available in your area. The Breedlove Atlas series used to include a maple jumbo acoustic/electric that was pretty decent but it's been discontinued from what I can tell so you'd have to shop used.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar

View Post

Careful there, gc, your slip is showing.

I didn't say the idea was valid....

Just a theory some hold to. It might also just be that Gibson likes to use cheaper woods on all their acoustics. They're definitely bigger on maple and mahogany than rosewood. They were using birch for decades while Martin and others were more into rosewood.

But yea bracing will make a difference. Scalloping the bracing brings out more bass.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by DeepEnd

View Post

I've seen mixed reviews on those.

I take it you mean the fret buzzing issues?

To be honest as a builder/tech, I'm not overly fussed about setups etc, I can get very average guitars playing very well, and good guitars playing brilliantly......when I get timewink.gif

But the consensus seems to be that the good ones are very very good, and that the build quality is typical Tak. But my mind is still open

• Members

View Post

I take it you mean the fret buzzing issues? . . .

Yeah. Frequent poor setup ("warped" neck, high action) and occasional intonation issues. Glad you're able to take care of most of that stuff yourself. You could buy a "clunker" from someone and set it up for yourself.

Archived