HNGD!: Used Taylor 110

u6crash

• Members

Howdy again, acoustic folks! Some of you may remember this thread that I was debating buying a new guitar for a gig that I'm playing on Sunday because my two Carvins weren't up to par. Well, after a lot of thought I decided that I would make them work and they weren't buzzing that bad and only I would be the only person who would notice. Well, after practicing this last week and trying a couple little things with my guitars, the buzzing seemed to get worse and the maintenance seemed beyond my capabilities in the short amount of time I had remaining. So after work this morning (I'm a third shift guy) I ran to the nearest Guitar Center and looked around.

Some other stuff I tried out:

Yamaha APX-Something: Thought I'd try one of these for old time sake since my first acoustic guitar was a Yamaha APX something with electronics. This one reminded me a lot of that first one. The action was better, but unplugged it was just really thin sounding to me.

Breedlove (various models): With and without electronics, felt pretty good. Sounded pretty good. Price range from $400-$500 new, made in Korea if I recall.

Seagull (various models): Really liked the sound, but the neck and spacing at the nut seemed just a little bit different than I'm used to. If I weren't using it for a gig in two days, I might have saved some money buying a $250 used Seagull. Seemed like a very solid guitar, built in Canada, great sound, just played a little differently than I'm used to. Will maybe give them another look in the future if I "need" another acoustic guitar.

Fender Sonorama (Did I get that right?): Just tried this for kicks. It was bright red with the electric style headstock. Think it was priced around $250 new. Wouldn't really recommend it.

And here's what I got:
taylor110.jpg

Taylor 110, used, made in Mexico, $399.

Sounds like you folks know all about these given the thread in here about Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars. I was pretty uneducated on these, but guessed that it was the entry level import model. They had one of these new for $599. I like the idea of saving with a used model and it looked really clean except a bit of fret wear. There are pretty obvious indentations which concerned me, but no buzzing whatsoever an any frets. The action if pretty low and it looks like it could use a little be more relief, but so long as I'm not getting buzzing now I'm not going to mess with it just yet. If I'm unhappy with it I can return it within 30 days, but I think it might be a keeper. I just kept coming back to it and couldn't believe how great it sounded and felt. It's maybe a little more than I wanted to spend for an emergency/last minute guitar, but I'm pleased with it so far.

I feel a little stupid for buying their $40 warranty for 14 months. The sales guy told me it would cover fretwork if it wore to the point of buzzing and it's transferrable if I sell it and refundable at 100% if I cancel it within the first two months (prorated thereafter). Someone tell me if I'm totally wasting my money here with the warranty and I'll cancel it. All told after tax I got out the door just under $480.

Came with a soft gig bag and here's one thing that is really weird. When I got it home there was something rattling around inside. Turned out to be an allen head bolt and a washer. I can't imagine these go to anything inside the guitar. The strap buttons are firmly in place. Please tell me this wasn't holding the neck in or something crazy. I'm sure there was nothing rattling inside it when I bought it, so I don't know how they ended up in there.

Anyway, new guitar!

• Members

Hey, you won't go wrong with a Taylor, even the MIM ones. That Allen head bolt might well be one of the bolts holding the neck on. Relax! Its' no big deal. Just take it back and let the tech sort it out. Even a GC tech should be able to deal with a Taylor neck joint. thumb.gif

Taylor necks are bolt-on. One of the nicest designs in the industry. You adjust the neck angle by changing shims. Neck resets take about fifteen minutes.

I'm not a big fan of the Taylor sound, but I have to respect them. They are very well built guitars.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
Relax! Its' no big deal. Just take it back and let the tech sort it out. Even a GC tech should be able to deal with a Taylor neck joint. :thu
Well, except for the fact that I work third shift and this GC is quite a distance from me and their store hours work against my normal schedule (I get off work at 7am, GC opens at 11am on weekdays and is in the opposite direction of home).

But thanks so much for the info. Found a photo here and it looks like it's the bolt that goes into the reinforced fingerboard extension.
taylor1.jpg

How bad would it be to continue playing it in the meantime? And could I just remove the strings and attempt to thread it in myself? It seems more than a little odd that it worked itself out in the first place.

• Members

Take the strings loose. Just use a capo, remove the tension, and pop the bridge pins. You can use the strings over if you do it that way.
A dentist's mirror and a small flashlight are handy to look around inside the guitar.
Find a wrench of the correct size, reach inside, and thread the bolt into place.

• Members

Missed this thread the first time around. First, Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Heartstring View Post
Good luck, but I can't help thinking that bolt came out for a reason, and just screwing it back in might not solve the problem. If I were you, I'm taking that sixgun back to GC pronto. . . .
Second, this reminds me of a 1977 Toyota Corolla I once owned. There was a bolt that kept working its way out of the intake manifold and, of course, the car wouldn't run right when the bolt came out. I finally put pipe joint compound on it and it stayed put. Anyway, I'm with Heartstring. I'd take advantage of GC's satisfaction guarantee and take the guitar back to be looked over.

Archived