tuners for a slot head

herbie d

• Members

I have a Johnson Resonator with a slot head, I just received latley. I have the guitar pretty dialed in sound wize, but the tuners are kind of crappy. They are three on a plate, pretty plain jane. I would like to put something a little better quality on there. All I can really find similar are Stewmac's Golden era. Are they better than whats on there? Is there someone who could recommend a set that I hav'nt found yet?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by herbie d

View Post

I have a Johnson Resonator with a slot head, I just received latley. I have the guitar pretty dialed in sound wize, but the tuners are kind of crappy. They are three on a plate, pretty plain jane. I would like to put something a little better quality on there. All I can really find similar are Stewmac's Golden era. Are they better than whats on there? Is there someone who could recommend a set that I hav'nt found yet?

I have used the StewMac's on three slot heads including my 1932 Dobro and a 12 string. They are good replicas of the old tuners, but in my opinion, are certainly not the quality or smoothness of Grovers or Waverlies. Make very sure that the hole spacing is correct or they will bind. You will have to drill new holes for the mounting screws - but then that always seems to be the case.

• Members

you need to do a little work - know what the dimensions are that you require, measure your existing tuners / headstock and Google 'Steel Srting Slot Head Tuners'

heres a start
what you need to know -
3500_1spec.gif
http://elderly.com/accessories/cats/GAPG.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html

http://willyfogg.com/search/rubner-7...is--mandolins/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by herbie d View Post
Not many Replys on this one. I thought I'd get more slams on the Johnson than on the tuners. Come on anyone ever see the national tuners. I hope the arn't the Stewmac's with a little ingraving on them and a higher price tag.
Frankly, if there isn't anything wrong with your tuners, don't change them. And the only reason to stay with the 3 on a plate is to look original - there are lots of good single slot head tuners that are very high quality - Gotoh, Grovers, Waverlies. The tuners on original Nationals and Dobros from the '30's were pretty crappy.

And there is nothing wrong with the Johnson, but if you haven't already done it I would consider a cone upgrade and really seting it up for the way you want to play - slide, fretted or a combination.

• Members

Thanks FK. The tuners on the guitar just don't work that well. Maybe they just need to be used for a while. They stay in tune, but its hard to get it in tune. Not very smooth.

Yes, I spent some time setting it up. I cleaned up the rim the cone sits on, blew out some trash floating around in the guitar, then filed on the saddle some to fit my playing style. The guitar sounds good, and plays well. (unplugged) It also has a Fisman Pick-Up installed on it. I'm struggling a little with that, but think its more, finding the right pre-amp and settings, than anything else.
As far as the cone... IDK I'm one of those guys who can't leave things alone, and will prob change it at some point, as well as the biscut.
The guitar was given to me by a sales rep, and he say's the guitar has a Continental cone in it, and a nice ebony tiped saddle. Leave it alone! Makes me want to change it even more. But for now... the tuners.
Im still saving for that National.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller View Post
Frankly, if there isn't anything wrong with your tuners, don't change them. And the only reason to stay with the 3 on a plate is to look original - there are lots of good single slot head tuners that are very high quality - Gotoh, Grovers, Waverlies. The tuners on original Nationals and Dobros from the '30's were pretty crappy.

And there is nothing wrong with the Johnson, but if you haven't already done it I would consider a cone upgrade and really seting it up for the way you want to play - slide, fretted or a combination.

• Members

They look wonderful. I couldn't bring myself to put tuners that cost more than the guitar on it though. Ha,ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettoothtony View Post
These are by no means cheap, in fact they are the priciest I've ever seen but they will make what you want, how you want em and my friend who has them on custom gits and ukes says they are 'The {censored}'... http://gilberttuners.com/

• Members

fwiw, here are the Grovers on my tricone. Forty bucks at StewMac - in my opinion they are acceptable substitutes for Waverlys. 18:1, smooth, and nice looking. Also have them on the 000 in my avatar and my daughters 0.

Tricone_5.jpg

Also when I replaced the stock cone in my Duolian with a new NRP "hot rod" I was very surprised at the difference - unfortunately I didn't record before or after but the change was very nice. I've got a Continential in the spider, again very nice and since the original was crushed, I have nothing to compare with.

Would love to hear some clips of yours.

Archived