Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland Street Cube ... A Busker's Dream?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Street Cube ... A Busker's Dream?

I think it's new ... Roland Street Cube

Black or red ...

Handy gig bag?

Official NAMM demo ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4e0ECG-eic

2 6.5" speakers, 2.5W + 2.5W (WTF?), just under 12lbs with batteries.

Looks like it's going for around $300.

Whaddya think?

Total output of 5 watts is not so impressive. I don't know if the "AXL Thin Amp" can run off batteries but if they do I think they may be a better buy, especially at this price:

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...able-Amplifier

These little beauties really pack a punch!

PS. Just checked and you can get a 3 hour rechargable battery pack as an optional extra.
    Howard

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by garthman
      View Post

Total output of 5 watts is not so impressive. I don't know if the "AXL Thin Amp" can run off batteries but if they do I think they may be a better buy, especially at this price:

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...able-Amplifier

These little beauties really pack a punch!

PS. Just checked and you can get a 3 hour rechargable battery pack as an optional extra.

Cool looking rig but, 3 hour rechargable battery pack at fifty bones????? How short a usage time is normal? The wattage difference won't make a difference for busking, IMO, and the speaker size is small so I would wonder about the tone. The size, and configuration is pretty good and the weight is super.

The Roland specs 15 hours continuous use. I would bet better tone from the larger speakers. Weight is certainly heftier but still not bad at under 12 lbs.

I think, I would choose the Roland but who knows, I've been wrong before.
      Still Kickin' cancer's ass....Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam WarHCGB Trooper #246Psalm 19 SocietyI can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.Thanks Offy

Comment

I've not tried the Roland - you could be right - but believe me that little Thin amp sounds amazing for its size.
        Howard

Comment

Black
          Last edited by Fred Fartboski : Today at...

Comment

Love ny microcube, 2 watts, incredible sounds and versitility for the price of a pedal

Jim

Black Alvarez RD20SBlue SnarkWampler Ego Compressor"He That Hath The Son Hath Life, He that hath not the son, Hath not Life" I John 5:12Alvarez Alliance Sr member"He that hath the Son hath Life, He that hath not the Son, hath not Life"1 John 5:12

Comment

If what you're going for is an over-driven "Chicago blues harp" amp or you want to crank your strat into nicely distorted raunch, this would be fine, but an origial Pignose works just as well for about $100...by the time you're loud enough to get something of a crowd, you're well into the distortion...2 X 2.5w leaves no headroom for a clear, clean sound.

The Thin Amp, too, is not a good "mini PA", but it's a lot of fun for an electric guitar...a buddy of mine busks with one for his electric fiddle, and it's great for electric usage!

For a nice, clean, clear vocal and/or acoustic instrument "mini PA", though, the Roland and the AXL'll be very disappointing...spend that $300 on a Crate Taxi 30 or a used Crate Limo...you'll be much happier!
              God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

ultimate guitar setup t5 and that cube :]
                Music fills the courts of heaven as heavenly beings praise our Lord and Creator. When God created the world, the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy (Job 38:7)

Comment

Terry is right on. The crate Limo is premium sound, battery operated, dsp, and it works well as a monitor to boot. It even looks like the Roland copied the way it looks....
                  Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Comment

How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Busker-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know anything about them but 15w into an 8" speaker sounds OK.
                    Howard

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by garthman
                      View Post

How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Busker-Portabl...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know anything about them but 15w into an 8" speaker sounds OK.

Looks a lot like a "clone" of the Crate Taxi 15:

Battery powered with tons of tone. Take your music anywhere, and play for up to 8 hours! The Crate Taxi provides everything you need to perform when you're far from any source of electricity. With the newly developed injection molded enclosure, the TX30BE has improved bass response and is lighter and more transportable than ever before! A specially designed Crate 8 in. woofer and Piezo tweeter ensure clean, loud performance from a full-range of frequencies. The TX30BE has 2 channels (one 1/4 in. mic/line and one 1/4 in. instrument). The instrument channel includes a 1/4 in. input, gain boost, 3-band EQ, and level. The 15-watt TX15 has the same 8 in. & piezo speaker configuration with an XLR-1/4 in. combi jack on channel 1. The Taxis includes a wall charger and 12V adapter. These amps are for anyone who requires portable, credible tone.

As avid guitar players themselves, Crate engineers build the gear they want to use. And as crafters of tone, they're naturally good listeners, not only to the purity of sound, but also to the insight of their fellow musicians, whose immeasurable experience is a driving force behind every piece of Crate gear.

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION

Specifications

Output Power Rating:15WRMS @ 10% THD, 4 ohms, 13.6VDC in

Input Impedance:20k ohm

Maximum Input Signal Accepted:

- Input 1 Hi-Z 8V peak to peak, 2.75V RMS

- Input 1 Lo-Z 1.2V peak to peak, 40mV RMS

- Input 2 8V peak to peak, 2.75V RMS

Gain:

- Input 1: Hi-Z 52dB, Lo-Z 68dB

- Input 2: 52dB

Internal Speaker:

- Woofer Crate Custom 8 in., 4 ohm, 15 watt, 1 in. voice coil

- Tweeter: 2 in. Piezo

Channel EQ's:

- Low +/-15dB @ 70Hz

- Low Mid +/-12dB @ 385Hz

- High Mid +/-10dB @ 1.85kHz

- High +/-15dB @ 10kHz

Power Requirements:Internal 12 volt DC power supply DC adapter for use with 120VAC

Dimensions (W x H x D): 14.5 x 11.75 x 12 in.

Weight: 20 lbs.

While 15w is a definite improvement, a decided (to me) advantage of the Taxi 30 is the fact that when it's turned up to just below "feedback" level (on the mic channel) it's only on about 1/2 way, at most, so I have the headroom to have a very clean signal...a 15watter might not offer this much headroom (although I've never played through a Taxi 15, so I'm just speculating)...

Another negative aspect of the Taxi 15 is the fact that both channels use the same EQ...the 30 has seperate EQs for each channel (although the mic channel is just a simple tone control...still it works great).

Don't know how hard it'd be to come up w/ a Taxi 30 out your way, but it might be worth your time to investigate this option or see if that company you referenced makes a more powerful version...
                      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

+1 on the TX30. I bought mine USED for about $150, and I can still (three years later) get about eight hours on a charge at decent volume levels. It's really an amazingly versatile amp.
                        You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

The bad thing about the Taxi 30 is that it's heavy (21 lbs if I'm not mistaken), so if you get it, don't forget to buy one of those little things people use to wheel their luggage at the airport (I totally forgot the name of those things).

I really like the idea of Roland making the Street Cube , if only it was a little bit louder...
                          Originally Posted by Scepter

BTW FACK YOU CRAB!!!! You wouldn't know a hot piece of ass if it sat on your face and gave you third degree burns, reatard.

Originally Posted by Crab_Cake

I like V-neck undershirts on guys.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall
                            View Post

For a nice, clean, clear vocal and/or acoustic instrument "mini PA", though, the Roland and the AXL'll be very disappointing...spend that $300 on a Crate Taxi 30 or a used Crate Limo...you'll be much happier!

Eor sez: You're only going around once, man. Soon enough, your guitar will be placed in a case, too. put some dings on it first.

-STFU, unpucker your tight ass, and relax

-Tartan Who?

Comment

As long as we are on the subject....Which amp would be better?

How much amp is needed to play for a small party, say 20-25 people and still have a comfortable sound level. I'm looking for an amp that can drive a passive pickup from an acoustic guitar and a microphone. Assuming both outdoor (yard) or indoor room.

Cost is an issue. $300 or less.
                              Steve Goodman Fan/Eddie Wright Fan/Damon Fowler Fan 2006 Martin OM21, 2014 Martin GPC12string, 2012 Gibson J45 Standard Spruce/mahogany1969 Framus 12 String Spruce/Mahogany1990's Larrivee D2 (Spruce/Mahogany)2007-8 Guild C0-2C (Spruce/Mahogany)2009 Recording King RO-26 (Spruce/Mahogany)1962-3 Gibson LG2 (Spruce/Mahogany)

Comment

Working...
                              X