Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Repairing a guitar case

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing a guitar case

So, I bought my new (used) Larrivee a few months ago. However, the tolex covering of Larrivee case that came with it is coming apart.

This case is made a little differently than my older Larrivee case.

Essentially, the glue is just not holding. There are no tears or anything, the tolex is just coming loose. At first, I just noticed it on a piece of trim. Then, the top trim near the hinges is loose, and the actual tolex on the sides of the case is coming unglued as well.

This is a little more than duct tape or stickers will fix.

Is this something that can be fixed? DIY, or where would I take it? Would it cost more to fix than it would be worth?

Without pics its hard to visualize your problem. However, I have corrected similar sounding problems over the years on guitar cases and even on amp coverings by using 3M spray glue.

Generally it is a good idea to take your time and carefully mask off the areas you don't want the glue to go, just like you were using spray paint. That can be accomplished with paper tape and newspapers.

I don't know if that suggestion helps or not. Post a few pics and let some people look at it.

Roger Waters
    Echoes
    from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br><br>Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 Yamaha<br><br>A fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox &quot;Big Ben&quot; wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John
        View Post

yep, that's generally what they look like when I get done with'em.

Roger Waters
        Echoes
        from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

Believe it or not, I had one that looked almost that bad back when I was in the Army. The tape, however, was cloth and OD in color. We called it missile tape, not duct tape. We all had a big roll of it in our lockers. Mine was right beside my box of BA-30s and two or three extra rolls of toilet paper I always stole and stashed away whenever the latrines got resupplied. Couldn't afford to run out of TP! There were times when that stuff was like GOLD!!
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br><br>Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 Yamaha<br><br>A fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox &quot;Big Ben&quot; wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Howie22
            View Post

So, I bought my new (used) Larrivee a few months ago. However, the tolex covering of Larrivee case that came with it is coming apart.

This case is made a little differently than my older Larrivee case.

Essentially, the glue is just not holding. There are no tears or anything, the tolex is just coming loose. At first, I just noticed it on a piece of trim. Then, the top trim near the hinges is loose, and the actual tolex on the sides of the case is coming unglued as well.

This is a little more than duct tape or stickers will fix.

Is this something that can be fixed? DIY, or where would I take it? Would it cost more to fix than it would be worth?

If it all comes off you'll still have a case.

Sounds like the glue bond is no good. Maybe the stuff was a bad batch or applied improperly. Who knows/cares at this point. I think the entire covering needs to come off. The latches are assembled to the case after the Tolex is applied so you'll have to cut around them. Then clean the exposed wood up as well as you possibly can and paint it black or (?) color. You may have a little bondo filling to do but with careful prep it should look fine. If you prefer to save yourself the effort, replace it. I don't think spot repairs are going to get it done and looking right. Paint it and make it a sticker case.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Be back when I get back. TTFN.</div>

Comment

Try a place that does automobile upholstery work. The headliner (ceiling) in your car/truck is similar: fabric glued to a backing. They should be able to reglue the Tolex or replace it with something else (i.e., vinyl upholstery "fabric"). Bear in mind, I don't know how much it would cost and a decent hard case is $40-60 locally (St. Louis) on CraigsList.
              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar
                View Post

If it all comes off you'll still have a case.

Sounds like the glue bond is no good. . .If you prefer to save yourself the effort, replace it. I don't think spot repairs are going to get it done and looking right. Paint it and make it a sticker case.

Yeah, the glue bond is the problem. I agree that spot fixing it isn't going to "solve" the problem. It'll just be a band-aid for now, and I will probably have to keep doing it as more stuff comes off.

I may mess around with it and see. For now, the guitar will go into my beater guitar case, which is one of those Gator Lighweight foam cases.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing that duct tape can't fix.
                  Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

A buddy of mine had the same issue with his Gibson F-5 (mandolin)'s case...so, he stripped all the vinyl off and covered it with an epoxy paint...it now looks kinda like a fibre-glas case and is pretty much bullet-proof.

He did this about 15 years ago and it still looks a lot like it did when he first re-did the outside...pretty tough!

Googled this for you: http://www.ehow.com/about_6611136_ca...d-floors_.html

I've been thinking about doing this w/ No. 1' (Guild JF-4)s Larrivee case, myself, as it's getting pretty worn-looking. Likely would be painted white. Looks like a gallon (around $25) would be more than plenty.
                    God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything”

Albert Einstein

Comment

This stuff is very good...I use it at work to glue down carpeting that has come loose to wood floors. Brush it on both surface...keep them separated until the glue feels dry then glue them together...it will not come loose.

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything”

Albert Einstein

Comment

Okay, so here is the picture.

I'm thinking that the "glue it back down" option will just be constant short term fixes and won't actually ever fix the problem. I obviously won't know that until I try. I also don't know how I'm going to get that one little trim strip to glue back down without making a giant mess of everything.

My favorite idea so far is Terry's idea to completely strip and sand it then paint it with black epoxy paint. (You can always count on Terry for some "off the wall" yet ingenious solution). I'm sure that will be a ton of work, though. Oh, and a quart of epoxy paint costs about the same as just getting another case off of craigslist!

Comment

Anybody know what kind of case this is? It's on CL in my area right now at a pretty decent price. Owner doesn't know anything about it. Said they got it from someone else with a Rogue guitar. I don't think Rogue would come with a hard case, though? It has green fur inside.

Comment

I think TAH's idea is awesome. 3M spray glue is pretty incredible stuff, but from the picture (am I just seeing things?) it looks like your Tolex may be a little stretched out. Probably just going to be a big pain to reattach it and who knows if you're gonig to have to do it again a million times. If it was me, I'd rather just make something unique out of it, like Terry suggested.
                              I should be practicing.

Comment

Working...
                              X