Acoustic Guitar Order

poppytater

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poppytater View Post
Guild=Taylor>Gibson>bREEDLOVE>Yamaha>Martin>Dean
I pretty much agree with that (except I've never seen, never mind play, a Breedlove - but Ill take your word for it).

But you left out Crafter at the front!?!?!? cop.gifcop.gifcop.gif

• Members

Taylor is hard to rate. I LOVE their innovative neck body joint. But I hate their poly finish. I also don't like the tinny sound. But I love the Expression system pickup.

At the end of the day I'd rate Gibson>Martin>Taylor>Guild>Masterbuilt> everything else. (If we are just talking major factories and not boutique stuff.

• Members

In my world it goes Xaviere> everything else. I have no choice, I signed myself with myself to an exclusive Xaviere endorsement and I'm being paid by myself (handsomely I might add) to say that so I don't want to fire myself for insubordination and lose my endorsement.

I brought my Xaviere xv-580SS Acoustic to GC to compare head to head with their best and it more then held it's own against guitars four and five times more expensive. It blew a way a Martin there for $3200 but that guitars strings weren't new and that might have had an impact. There were two guitars that clearly were in another league from the X sound wise, another Martin for $1800 which was sweet sweet sounding complex and smooth and a $4000 Taylor that sounded like heaven on earth; and for 4G's it should have.

I tested at least 20 guitars from $300 to $4000 and the Xaviere was as good or better then all of them other then those two. Each guitar was strummed back to back with the same chords and method over and over again. My $369 Xaviere with its $69 Silver Creek was all that I thought it was but I just had to know how it stacked up with the big boys. The guy that checked me in guessed it was around a $2000 and sounded like a cross between a Gibson and a Taylor and although I couldn't speak to that directly his eyes did get bigger then a pair of frisbee's when I told him what I'd paid for it. He quickly jotted down the Guitarfetish information before I left I do know that. The only real tell tale sign it isn't a super high end guitar is the headstock has a cross cut and is two pieces as is the base of the neck at the body which my guess a higher end guitar would be one solid piece. In the end I could care less about that because it sounds and looks like a million bucks.

Xaviere xv-520SS All Solid Woods Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar: Solid Matched Sitka Spruce Top, Solid Matched Rosewood Back and Sides w/Abalone inlay, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard w/abolone in pearl inlays, Rosewood bridge w/Ebony Pins and Abolone Dots, Gold Tuners w/Ebony Buttons, Rosette/Abolone body apointments, triple body and neck binding, inlaid pearl Xaviere logo/symbol. It's a $369 all solid woods big game guitar killer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo View Post
Taylor is hard to rate. I LOVE their innovative neck body joint. But I hate their poly finish. I also don't like the tinny sound. But I love the Expression system pickup.

At the end of the day I'd rate Gibson>Martin>Taylor>Guild>Masterbuilt> everything else. (If we are just talking major factories and not boutique stuff.
Crap, you and I would be at opposite corners of that fight ring.

See folks, this is what happens to you when you don't dehumidify. You lose guitar articulation and with too much exposure to that sound you gain a tin ear. Hence the muddy sounding Gibson tone first in guitarcapo's order of preference. Then comes the bottom heavy Martin, Taylor (for their electronics only) at 3rd rung, Guild (Gibson-ear most evident here) out of the running at 4th and then Masterbuilt hosing down the locker room floor.

• Members

Well, I'm not familiar with any of the European brands, so I'll have to go with brands I am familiar with.

Martin > Guild > Gibson > Larrivee > Blueridge > Alvarez > Yamaha > Taylor. The only reason I put Taylor behind the others is not due to quality. I feel Taylor makes excellent guitars.......I'm just not crazy about the Taylor sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo View Post

In my opinion the tinny sound (other than X14 bodies) comes from guys who try to play light gauge strings on a guitar designed to use mediums.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by recordingtrack1 View Post
Heck yeah, it's hard to compete with a good Esteban!poke.gif
A couple of weeks ago I was hiking with a guy whose boots were at least 30 years old. These boots were completely worn-out, outmoded, heavy old clunkers that were killing his feet within the first few miles. So I asked this guy (who, fwiw, is simply made out of money) why the heck he didn't get new ones, and he replied, "These are my boots." idn_smilie.gif

The Esteban is my guitar. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I actually played an Esteban in a pawn shop last Saturday afternoon. I played it for probably 20 minutes. It was surprisingly well intonated and the action was somewhere between decent and okay. Sound was "boxy" to be as nice as I can about it. It had chevrolet markings on it, like a 57 chevy. Weird looking thing sure. While I would never personally own one, I don't fault others for owning them. biggrin.gif

Just ribbing you, James. I don't really see you as the "Esteban" kind of guy.rolleyes.gif

• Members

Guild > Gibson > Taylor > Larrivee > Martin > Blueridge > Alvarez > Yamaha > Harmony > Ibanez > Ventura > Takamine > Esteban > Zager > Fender acoustics

terry, I'm sure when you rank Guilds at the top, you're talking about before they were taken over by fender. Otherwise, your list isn't a line, it's a circle.

• Members

-520SS All Solid Woods Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar: Solid Matched Sitka Spruce Top, Solid Matched Rosewood Back and Sides w/Abalone inlay, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard w/abolone in pearl inlays, Rosewood bridge w/Ebony Pins and Abolone Dots, Gold Tuners w/Ebony Buttons, Rosette/Abolone body apointments, triple body and neck binding, inlaid pearl Xaviere logo/symbol. It's a $369 all solid woods big game guitar killer.

Fixed for you. No need to thank me.

Archived