Guild=Taylor>Gibson>bREEDLOVE>Yamaha>Martin>Dean
    "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

really? explain...
    The "artist" formerly known as RKO

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by poppytater
      View Post

If this an order of best to worst ... why is martin so far down on the list? I would expect them to be in the top 3.
      Bob.
      Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

View Post

I pretty much agree with that (except I've never seen, never mind play, a Breedlove - but Ill take your word for it).

But you left out Crafter at the front!?!?!?
        Howard

Comment

Dean is in the right spot. With the others, it is largely dependent on price/model. At equal price points, I don't think there is an obvious hierarchy.

Comment

Taylor is hard to rate. I LOVE their innovative neck body joint. But I hate their poly finish. I also don't like the tinny sound. But I love the Expression system pickup.

At the end of the day I'd rate Gibson>Martin>Taylor>Guild>Masterbuilt> everything else. (If we are just talking major factories and not boutique stuff.
            "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Regardless of the name on the headstock, it definitely depends on the wood used to make the Back and Sides!

Roger Waters
              Echoes
              from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

You are wrong and a liar
                "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by recordingtrack1
                  View Post

Regardless of the name on the headstock, it definitely depends on the wood used to make the Back and Sides!

pfft
                  Howard

Comment

noobs!

Roger Waters
                    Echoes
                    from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

In my world it goes Xaviere> everything else. I have no choice, I signed myself with myself to an exclusive Xaviere endorsement and I'm being paid by myself (handsomely I might add) to say that so I don't want to fire myself for insubordination and lose my endorsement.

I brought my Xaviere xv-580SS Acoustic to GC to compare head to head with their best and it more then held it's own against guitars four and five times more expensive. It blew a way a Martin there for $3200 but that guitars strings weren't new and that might have had an impact. There were two guitars that clearly were in another league from the X sound wise, another Martin for $1800 which was sweet sweet sounding complex and smooth and a $4000 Taylor that sounded like heaven on earth; and for 4G's it should have.

I tested at least 20 guitars from $300 to $4000 and the Xaviere was as good or better then all of them other then those two. Each guitar was strummed back to back with the same chords and method over and over again. My $369 Xaviere with its $69 Silver Creek was all that I thought it was but I just had to know how it stacked up with the big boys. The guy that checked me in guessed it was around a $2000 and sounded like a cross between a Gibson and a Taylor and although I couldn't speak to that directly his eyes did get bigger then a pair of frisbee's when I told him what I'd paid for it. He quickly jotted down the Guitarfetish information before I left I do know that. The only real tell tale sign it isn't a super high end guitar is the headstock has a cross cut and is two pieces as is the base of the neck at the body which my guess a higher end guitar would be one solid piece. In the end I could care less about that because it sounds and looks like a million bucks.

Xaviere xv-520SS All Solid Woods Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar: Solid Matched Sitka Spruce Top, Solid Matched Rosewood Back and Sides w/Abalone inlay, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard w/abolone in pearl inlays, Rosewood bridge w/Ebony Pins and Abolone Dots, Gold Tuners w/Ebony Buttons, Rosette/Abolone body apointments, triple body and neck binding, inlaid pearl Xaviere logo/symbol. It's a $369 all solid woods big game guitar killer.

Comment

Mine > Anyone else's.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp
                          View Post

Mine > Anyone else's.

Heck yeah, it's hard to compete with a good Esteban!

Roger Waters
                          Echoes
                          from the MEDDLE LP

Comment

View Post

I think you need a hobby !

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
                              View Post

Taylor is hard to rate. I LOVE their innovative neck body joint. But I hate their poly finish. I also don't like the tinny sound. But I love the Expression system pickup.

At the end of the day I'd rate Gibson>Martin>Taylor>Guild>Masterbuilt> everything else. (If we are just talking major factories and not boutique stuff.

Crap, you and I would be at opposite corners of that fight ring.

See folks, this is what happens to you when you don't dehumidify. You lose guitar articulation and with too much exposure to that sound you gain a tin ear. Hence the muddy sounding Gibson tone first in guitarcapo's order of preference. Then comes the bottom heavy Martin, Taylor (for their electronics only) at 3rd rung, Guild (Gibson-ear most evident here) out of the running at 4th and then Masterbuilt hosing down the locker room floor.
                              Be back when I get back. TTFN.

Comment

Working...
                              X