Back home again...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

This last weekend's road trip to New Mexico was a BLAST! We (myself, my daughter, Kat (percussion/harmony vox) and my favorite "bottom-gal", Wendy (fretless bass/harmony vox) enjoyed ourselves so much that we almost hated to take the $$$...ALMOST! ;)

Friday night, we performed at a house concert, in the lovely abode of a very nice couple named Tomas and Renee...these folks love hosting house concerts so much (23 years worth, they told me) that when they had their new house built about 5 years ago, their living room was designed for this endeavor...they had some SERIOUS PA speakers built into the walls and floor (monitors), plus a great sub-woofer system built into the "stage area" (which is about a foot higher off the level than the rest of the room!)...a 16-channel mixing board and Crown amps...all I used of my PA was my mics and DIs, and Wendy ran the bass amp very low and let the house system do it's thing.

The room held about 60 comfortably and the place was packed! Gave out a lot of business cards and sold about 25 of my 1st CD "Singer/Songsmith" and about 40 of my second, "A Texan In Exile"...also did a few of my "peculiar Xmas songs", from my next release (untitled as of yet, but possibly will be called "Santa Claus Ain't Playin' This S***", which went over very well (and several folks joined my mailing list so that they could order a copy of it. :))...

Next morning, after an amazing breakfast by Renee, we headed out to a hunting lodge north a few hours, for a "Charity Hunter's Feast"...this was a great event, as well, and I sold every CD I'd had left from the night before (25 of #1, 20 of #2)...wish I'd brought more, but we're booked again next year, so I've already decided to bring twice as many then!

While taking a break, the guy who booked me (Fred) asked if I'd remembered to bring my hunting bow (I had, of course) and he wanted to know if I wanted to go out Sunday morning and "trim the number of exotics" (like I had to be asked twice! :D)...

Wendy and Kat were going to drive my truck back, as Wendy needed to be home by yesterday, being a single mom, and all, but one of the "eligible batchelors" offered to fly her home in his personal airplane (some kind of Piper), so Kat and I got to go do a little hunting together!

Now, here's the fun part: these folks will bet on literally ANYTHING!, so my hunting with my recurve amused some of them enough to wager on my success...when they discovered that I prefer not to hunt from an elevated stand, but on the ground, you should've seen the wagers flying! (When Fred asked me if I minded, I just told him that I had no problem, as long as 10% of any winnings I made anyone went into the charity...which they all agreed to!...Say what ya will, SOME rich folks are VERY cool!)

Anyway, next morning, I set out w/ my Ragim Impala and Kat had a borrowed .243, and by 2pm, she had dropped 3 Black Russians (European wild boar), and I had dispatched a Nyala.

(Pictures haven't come back from processing, but this is what a Nyala looks like...pretty much like the one on the far left...the meat of everything taken goes to the local food bank, after processing, but we got to keep the skulls for European mounts...And should the question arise, this was no "canned hunt"...the lodge has over 4,000 acres, and these critters can definitely run away from hunters!)

3nya55.jpg

Fred was the only person to bet heavily on our success, so he (and the charity) made quite a tidy sum.

Anyway, campers, that's how I spent my weekend! :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Awesome. It sounds like you had a great time.
:thu:

Yeah, but I'm dragging my heiney today!

About the only downside of the last few days was it rained a lot of the way home, but we really needed the rain in this part of the country...

Think I'll go to bed a bit earlier tonight! :cool:

• Members

Terry, someone once said you're never too old to have fun. Was that you? Wish I'd been a fly on the wall or, better yet, a tag along. Now you have not only a following but an annual host who seems genuinely happy to have you. Great feeling I'll bet.

• Members
Originally posted by Sweb

Terry, someone once said you're never too old to have fun.

Was that you?

No, I was the guy who said, "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!"
;)

Wish I'd been a fly on the wall or, better yet, a tag along. Now you have not only a following but an annual host who seems genuinely happy to have you. Great feeling I'll bet.

I gotta admit that it hardly sucks at all!
:)

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

This last weekend's road trip to New Mexico was a
BLAST
! We (myself, my daughter, Kat (percussion/harmony vox) and my favorite "bottom-gal", Wendy (fretless bass/harmony vox) enjoyed ourselves so much that we almost hated to take the $$$...ALMOST!
;)

Friday night, we performed at a house concert, in the lovely abode of a very nice couple named Tomas and Renee...these folks love hosting house concerts so much (23 years worth, they told me) that when they had their new house built about 5 years ago, their living room was
designed
for this endeavor...they had some SERIOUS PA speakers built into the walls and floor (monitors), plus a great sub-woofer system built into the "stage area" (which is about a foot higher off the level than the rest of the room!)...a 16-channel mixing board and Crown amps...all I used of my PA was my mics and DIs, and Wendy ran the bass amp very low and let the house system do it's thing.

The room held about 60 comfortably and the place was packed! Gave out a lot of business cards and sold about 25 of my 1st CD "
Singer/Songsmith
" and about 40 of my second, "
A Texan In Exile
"...also did a few of my "peculiar Xmas songs", from my next release (untitled as of yet, but possibly will be called "
Santa Claus Ain't Playin' This S***
", which went over very well (and several folks joined my mailing list so that they could order a copy of it.
)...

Next morning, after an amazing breakfast by Renee, we headed out to a hunting lodge north a few hours, for a "Charity Hunter's Feast"...this was a great event, as well, and I sold every CD I'd had left from the night before (25 of #1, 20 of #2)...wish I'd brought more, but we're booked again next year, so I've already decided to bring twice as many then!

While taking a break, the guy who booked me (Fred) asked if I'd remembered to bring my hunting bow (I had, of course) and he wanted to know if I wanted to go out Sunday morning and "trim the number of exotics" (like I had to be asked twice!
:D
)...

Wendy and Kat were going to drive my truck back, as Wendy needed to be home by yesterday, being a single mom, and all, but one of the "eligible batchelors" offered to fly her home in his personal airplane (some kind of Piper), so Kat and I got to go do a little hunting together!

Now, here's the fun part: these folks will bet on literally ANYTHING!, so my hunting with my recurve amused some of them enough to wager on my success...when they discovered that I prefer not to hunt from an elevated stand, but on the ground, you should've seen the wagers flying! (When Fred asked me if I minded, I just told him that I had no problem, as long as 10% of any winnings I made anyone went into the charity...which they all agreed to!...Say what ya will, SOME rich folks are VERY cool!)

Anyway, next morning, I set out w/ my Ragim Impala and Kat had a borrowed .243, and by 2pm, she had dropped 3 Black Russians (European wild boar), and I had dispatched a Nyala.

(Pictures haven't come back from processing, but this is what a Nyala looks like...pretty much like the one on the far left...the meat of everything taken goes to the local food bank, after processing, but we got to keep the skulls for European mounts...And should the question arise, this was no "canned hunt"...the lodge has over 4,000 acres, and these critters can definitely run away from hunters!)

3nya55.jpg

Fred was the only person to bet heavily on our success, so he (and the charity) made quite a tidy sum.

Anyway, campers, that's how I spent my weekend!

Despite your claim to the contrary, killing exotics at a "hunting" lodge most certainly IS a canned hunt. Thread saved for the next time you criticise other fellow hunter's legal, respectable methods. I can guarantee none of the ducks and deer I shoot are stocked animals.

• Members

Originally posted by Duck Commander

Despite your claim to the contrary, killing exotics at a "hunting" lodge most certainly IS a canned hunt. Thread saved for the next time you criticise other fellow hunter's legal, respectable methods. I can guarantee none of the ducks and deer I shoot are stocked animals.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A canned hunt is essentially a trophy hunt where the customer is guaranteed a kill by the simple expedient of the hosts pre-capturing the animal, and releasing it into an area where the hunter can take a shot at it, such as in a fenced-in area.

The exotics at this game ranch are free-ranging and have been free-ranging since (according to the hosts) 1879, when the original owners established it...all the animals are as wild as their ancestors in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, etc. There is no fence, only natural boundaries over their 4,000+ acre range, so some do occ. wander off the property. And there is no guarrantee whatsoever that you'll go home w/ anything other than great memories.

Therefore, it is not, by any definition, a "canned hunt".

As for whether or not the ducks and deer you kill are "stocked", think about that statement for a moment...there is not a single state in our Union (including Minnesota) that has never had stock brought in to improve their wildlife's gene pools/population, whether it be large game, wild turkey, waterfowl or sports fish.

http://www.gct.org.uk/text03.asp?PageId=329

www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/TrapTransPrgm.shtm

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/hunting-news/detail.asp?iArt=928&iType=59

www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Resources/wildnotes/pub004.htm

www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/press/fish-stocking-10-05-2006.html

• Members

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A canned hunt is essentially a trophy hunt where the customer is guaranteed a kill by the simple expedient of the hosts pre-capturing the animal, and releasing it into an area where the hunter can take a shot at it, such as in a fenced-in area.

The exotics at this game ranch are free-ranging and have been free-ranging since (according to the hosts)
, when the original owners established it...all the animals are as wild as their ancestors in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, etc. There is no fence, only natural boundaries over their 4,000+ acre range, so some do occ. wander off the property. And there is no guarrantee whatsoever that you'll go home w/ anything other than great memories.

Therefore, it is not, by any definition, a "canned hunt".

As for whether or not the ducks and deer you kill are "stocked", think about that statement for a moment...there is not a single state in our Union (including Minnesota) that has never had stock brought in to improve their wildlife's gene pools/population, whether it be large game, wild turkey, waterfowl or sports fish.

http://www.gct.org.uk/text03.asp?PageId=329

www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/TrapTransPrgm.shtm

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/hunting-news/detail.asp?iArt=928&iType=59

www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Resources/wildnotes/pub004.htm

www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/press/fish-stocking-10-05-2006.html

What's the name of this ranch, I might be interested in going there.

• Members

Frankly, I don't wish either of you to bother these folks...it's a sweet-paying gig, OK?

I won't bother them; I won't even contact them. Just would like to take a look at their website if they have one.

• Members

Originally posted by Duck Commander

I won't bother them; I won't even contact them. Just would like to take a look at their website if they have one.

You really think it exists!:D This is as bad as Terry's bullsh*t about running for city council.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Summer Breeze!

You really think it exists!
This is as bad as Terry's bullsh*t about running for city council.

Anyone can run for public office. I didn't realize it was a big deal.

You two need a new hobby. Leave Terry alone. He's well respected here.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Anyone can run for public office. I didn't realize it was a big deal.

You two need a new hobby. Leave Terry alone. He's well respected here.

What's really amusing is that they posted a link (over in Political Party) about candidates running for city council, and it didn't have my name listed...which isn't too surprising, as they had the wrong location...of course, details like that probably don't concern them much. :)

For the record, the community I live in, which has yet to have an official name (we're going to vote soon on that, 'though...right now, we're down to three - Procter Hills, Procter Springs or Seratola) is served by Rhome's Post Office, Decatur's ISD and New Fairview's water/natural gas lines (hence my listing all three as my "location")...current population is something like 300 and our "de facto" City Hall is a single-wide trailer...eventually, we'll build something a little nicer, but we're just starting out. No web presence, obviously, but hopefully that'll come towards next summer.

We're also trying to figure out what county we're "officially" in, as we're kind of spread out on the border area between two...I'm wanting for our Little Slice Of Heaven to be declaired a Sovereign Nation, but that probably is a bit much to hope for... ;)

• Members

You really think it exists!
This is as bad as Terry's bullsh*t about running for city council.

I think it likely exists. I think that Terry just doesn't want us to see what kind of "hunting" he's been doing after being so critical of other hunter's methods. Like shooting stocked exotics at a hunting lodge is more ethical then duck hunting using a shotgun.

• Members

What's really amusing is that they posted a link (over in Political Party) about candidates running for city council, and it didn't have my name listed...
which isn't too surprising, as they had the wrong location
...of course, details like that probably don't concern them much.

For the record, the community I live in, which has yet to have an official name (we're going to vote soon on that, 'though...right now, we're down to three - Procter Hills, Procter Springs or Seratola) is served by Rhome's Post Office, Decatur's ISD and New Fairview's water/natural gas lines (hence my listing all three as my "location")...current population is something like 300 and our "de facto" City Hall is a single-wide trailer...eventually, we'll build something a little nicer, but we're just starting out. No web presence, obviously, but hopefully that'll come towards next summer.

We're also trying to figure out what county we're "officially" in, as we're kind of spread out on the border area between two...I'm wanting for our Little Slice Of Heaven to be declaired a Sovereign Nation, but that probably is a bit much to hope for...
;)

I see, you're running for city council for a city that doesn't exist....that's some good {censored} you're smoking.:D

• Members

No, Einstein, I'm running for City Council for a town in it's infancy...did you not get far enough in school to study Government or Civics?

In Texas, both studies started in 8th grade, I recall...
:idea:

Sure you are, how about a link to your campaign.:D

• Members

Sure you are, how about a link to your campaign.

Alright, your speaking privelages for the thread are revoked... No more talking, please...

:rolleyes:

Anywho, sounds like a very nice privelage you got there, TAH. Keep up the good work.

*Leaves singing "why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist21

IMO, Terry can hunt whatever he wants so long as he stays a great guitar player with good advice/stories/humor.
;)

Ellen

I agree, but these canned hunts that Terry goes on are the least sporting of all hunts. I really don't even think you could call it sporting, more like assassination.

Archived