Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Back home again...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Back home again...

    This last weekend's road trip to New Mexico was a BLAST! We (myself, my daughter, Kat (percussion/harmony vox) and my favorite "bottom-gal", Wendy (fretless bass/harmony vox) enjoyed ourselves so much that we almost hated to take the $$$...ALMOST!

    Friday night, we performed at a house concert, in the lovely abode of a very nice couple named Tomas and Renee...these folks love hosting house concerts so much (23 years worth, they told me) that when they had their new house built about 5 years ago, their living room was designed for this endeavor...they had some SERIOUS PA speakers built into the walls and floor (monitors), plus a great sub-woofer system built into the "stage area" (which is about a foot higher off the level than the rest of the room!)...a 16-channel mixing board and Crown amps...all I used of my PA was my mics and DIs, and Wendy ran the bass amp very low and let the house system do it's thing.

    The room held about 60 comfortably and the place was packed! Gave out a lot of business cards and sold about 25 of my 1st CD "Singer/Songsmith" and about 40 of my second, "A Texan In Exile"...also did a few of my "peculiar Xmas songs", from my next release (untitled as of yet, but possibly will be called "Santa Claus Ain't Playin' This S***", which went over very well (and several folks joined my mailing list so that they could order a copy of it. )...

    Next morning, after an amazing breakfast by Renee, we headed out to a hunting lodge north a few hours, for a "Charity Hunter's Feast"...this was a great event, as well, and I sold every CD I'd had left from the night before (25 of #1, 20 of #2)...wish I'd brought more, but we're booked again next year, so I've already decided to bring twice as many then!

    While taking a break, the guy who booked me (Fred) asked if I'd remembered to bring my hunting bow (I had, of course) and he wanted to know if I wanted to go out Sunday morning and "trim the number of exotics" (like I had to be asked twice! )...

    Wendy and Kat were going to drive my truck back, as Wendy needed to be home by yesterday, being a single mom, and all, but one of the "eligible batchelors" offered to fly her home in his personal airplane (some kind of Piper), so Kat and I got to go do a little hunting together!

    Now, here's the fun part: these folks will bet on literally ANYTHING!, so my hunting with my recurve amused some of them enough to wager on my success...when they discovered that I prefer not to hunt from an elevated stand, but on the ground, you should've seen the wagers flying! (When Fred asked me if I minded, I just told him that I had no problem, as long as 10% of any winnings I made anyone went into the charity...which they all agreed to!...Say what ya will, SOME rich folks are VERY cool!)

    Anyway, next morning, I set out w/ my Ragim Impala and Kat had a borrowed .243, and by 2pm, she had dropped 3 Black Russians (European wild boar), and I had dispatched a Nyala.
    (Pictures haven't come back from processing, but this is what a Nyala looks like...pretty much like the one on the far left...the meat of everything taken goes to the local food bank, after processing, but we got to keep the skulls for European mounts...And should the question arise, this was no "canned hunt"...the lodge has over 4,000 acres, and these critters can definitely run away from hunters!)


    Fred was the only person to bet heavily on our success, so he (and the charity) made quite a tidy sum.

    Anyway, campers, that's how I spent my weekend!
    God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

  • #2
    Awesome. It sounds like you had a great time.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
    </font></div>

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hudman
      Awesome. It sounds like you had a great time.


      Yeah, but I'm dragging my heiney today!

      About the only downside of the last few days was it rained a lot of the way home, but we really needed the rain in this part of the country...

      Think I'll go to bed a bit earlier tonight!
      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

      Comment


      • #4
        Terry, someone once said you're never too old to have fun. Was that you? Wish I'd been a fly on the wall or, better yet, a tag along. Now you have not only a following but an annual host who seems genuinely happy to have you. Great feeling I'll bet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sweb
          Terry, someone once said you're never too old to have fun.
          Was that you?

          No, I was the guy who said, "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!"

          Wish I'd been a fly on the wall or, better yet, a tag along. Now you have not only a following but an annual host who seems genuinely happy to have you. Great feeling I'll bet.


          I gotta admit that it hardly sucks at all!
          God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall
            This last weekend's road trip to New Mexico was a BLAST! We (myself, my daughter, Kat (percussion/harmony vox) and my favorite "bottom-gal", Wendy (fretless bass/harmony vox) enjoyed ourselves so much that we almost hated to take the $$$...ALMOST!

            Friday night, we performed at a house concert, in the lovely abode of a very nice couple named Tomas and Renee...these folks love hosting house concerts so much (23 years worth, they told me) that when they had their new house built about 5 years ago, their living room was designed for this endeavor...they had some SERIOUS PA speakers built into the walls and floor (monitors), plus a great sub-woofer system built into the "stage area" (which is about a foot higher off the level than the rest of the room!)...a 16-channel mixing board and Crown amps...all I used of my PA was my mics and DIs, and Wendy ran the bass amp very low and let the house system do it's thing.

            The room held about 60 comfortably and the place was packed! Gave out a lot of business cards and sold about 25 of my 1st CD "Singer/Songsmith" and about 40 of my second, "A Texan In Exile"...also did a few of my "peculiar Xmas songs", from my next release (untitled as of yet, but possibly will be called "Santa Claus Ain't Playin' This S***", which went over very well (and several folks joined my mailing list so that they could order a copy of it. )...

            Next morning, after an amazing breakfast by Renee, we headed out to a hunting lodge north a few hours, for a "Charity Hunter's Feast"...this was a great event, as well, and I sold every CD I'd had left from the night before (25 of #1, 20 of #2)...wish I'd brought more, but we're booked again next year, so I've already decided to bring twice as many then!

            While taking a break, the guy who booked me (Fred) asked if I'd remembered to bring my hunting bow (I had, of course) and he wanted to know if I wanted to go out Sunday morning and "trim the number of exotics" (like I had to be asked twice! )...

            Wendy and Kat were going to drive my truck back, as Wendy needed to be home by yesterday, being a single mom, and all, but one of the "eligible batchelors" offered to fly her home in his personal airplane (some kind of Piper), so Kat and I got to go do a little hunting together!

            Now, here's the fun part: these folks will bet on literally ANYTHING!, so my hunting with my recurve amused some of them enough to wager on my success...when they discovered that I prefer not to hunt from an elevated stand, but on the ground, you should've seen the wagers flying! (When Fred asked me if I minded, I just told him that I had no problem, as long as 10% of any winnings I made anyone went into the charity...which they all agreed to!...Say what ya will, SOME rich folks are VERY cool!)

            Anyway, next morning, I set out w/ my Ragim Impala and Kat had a borrowed .243, and by 2pm, she had dropped 3 Black Russians (European wild boar), and I had dispatched a Nyala.
            (Pictures haven't come back from processing, but this is what a Nyala looks like...pretty much like the one on the far left...the meat of everything taken goes to the local food bank, after processing, but we got to keep the skulls for European mounts...And should the question arise, this was no "canned hunt"...the lodge has over 4,000 acres, and these critters can definitely run away from hunters!)


            Fred was the only person to bet heavily on our success, so he (and the charity) made quite a tidy sum.

            Anyway, campers, that's how I spent my weekend!


            Despite your claim to the contrary, killing exotics at a "hunting" lodge most certainly IS a canned hunt. Thread saved for the next time you criticise other fellow hunter's legal, respectable methods. I can guarantee none of the ducks and deer I shoot are stocked animals.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Duck Commander


              Despite your claim to the contrary, killing exotics at a "hunting" lodge most certainly IS a canned hunt. Thread saved for the next time you criticise other fellow hunter's legal, respectable methods. I can guarantee none of the ducks and deer I shoot are stocked animals.


              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

              A canned hunt is essentially a trophy hunt where the customer is guaranteed a kill by the simple expedient of the hosts pre-capturing the animal, and releasing it into an area where the hunter can take a shot at it, such as in a fenced-in area.


              The exotics at this game ranch are free-ranging and have been free-ranging since (according to the hosts) 1879, when the original owners established it...all the animals are as wild as their ancestors in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, etc. There is no fence, only natural boundaries over their 4,000+ acre range, so some do occ. wander off the property. And there is no guarrantee whatsoever that you'll go home w/ anything other than great memories.

              Therefore, it is not, by any definition, a "canned hunt".

              As for whether or not the ducks and deer you kill are "stocked", think about that statement for a moment...there is not a single state in our Union (including Minnesota) that has never had stock brought in to improve their wildlife's gene pools/population, whether it be large game, wild turkey, waterfowl or sports fish.


              http://www.gct.org.uk/text03.asp?PageId=329
              www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/TrapTransPrgm.shtm
              http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/hunting-news/detail.asp?iArt=928&iType=59
              www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Resources/wildnotes/pub004.htm
              www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/press/fish-stocking-10-05-2006.html
              God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall


                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

                A canned hunt is essentially a trophy hunt where the customer is guaranteed a kill by the simple expedient of the hosts pre-capturing the animal, and releasing it into an area where the hunter can take a shot at it, such as in a fenced-in area.


                The exotics at this game ranch are free-ranging and have been free-ranging since (according to the hosts) 1879, when the original owners established it...all the animals are as wild as their ancestors in Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, etc. There is no fence, only natural boundaries over their 4,000+ acre range, so some do occ. wander off the property. And there is no guarrantee whatsoever that you'll go home w/ anything other than great memories.

                Therefore, it is not, by any definition, a "canned hunt".

                As for whether or not the ducks and deer you kill are "stocked", think about that statement for a moment...there is not a single state in our Union (including Minnesota) that has never had stock brought in to improve their wildlife's gene pools/population, whether it be large game, wild turkey, waterfowl or sports fish.


                http://www.gct.org.uk/text03.asp?PageId=329
                www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/TrapTransPrgm.shtm
                http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/hunting-news/detail.asp?iArt=928&iType=59
                www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Resources/wildnotes/pub004.htm
                www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/press/fish-stocking-10-05-2006.html


                What's the name of this ranch, I might be interested in going there.
                “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything”

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Summer Breeze!


                  What's the name of this ranch, I might be interested in going there.


                  Don't waste your time, Hoddy...it's "Members Only" and you won't qualify, I'm afraid...only other way is to be a guest of a member.

                  Sorry about that...
                  God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall


                    Don't waste your time, Hoddy...it's "Members Only" and you won't qualify, I'm afraid...only other way is to be a guest of a member.

                    Sorry about that...


                    how about posting the name anyways?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Duck Commander


                      how about posting the name anyways?


                      Frankly, I don't wish either of you to bother these folks...it's a sweet-paying gig, OK?
                      God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall


                        Frankly, I don't wish either of you to bother these folks...it's a sweet-paying gig, OK?


                        Looks like you have a fan club.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
                        </font></div>

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall


                          Frankly, I don't wish either of you to bother these folks...it's a sweet-paying gig, OK?


                          I won't bother them; I won't even contact them. Just would like to take a look at their website if they have one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hudman


                            Looks like you have a fan club.


                            Yeah...lucky me!
                            God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Duck Commander


                              I won't bother them; I won't even contact them. Just would like to take a look at their website if they have one.


                              You really think it exists! This is as bad as Terry's bullsh*t about running for city council.
                              “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything”

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X