13-56 acoustic strings able to tune to DAEAC#E?

FinchTheory

• Members

Hey guys I just recently made the switch from size 12 acoustic strings to size 13's and after putting on a brand new pair of elixirs I popped my G string trying to tune from G-->A This was for one of my favorite tunings, DAEAC#E.

Before I made the switch to 13's I tuned into DAEAC#E almost everyday and never had a problem. I'm wondering if 13 gauge strings are too thick to play in this tuning and if I'll need to make the switch back to 12's. I want to try tuning into it again, but at the same time I don't want to throw away $15. It sucks because I love the tone and feel I'm getting from larger strings, but at the same time I love to play in this tuning! Any help?

P.S. I need to go pick up a new pair of strings tomorrow, should I go Elixir Nano's or Poly's?

• Members

Neither. At that tension they're to cause your guitar to explode and blow of your pecker!

(that's a private forum joke there! wink.gif )

Seriously though, I heard LOTS of complaints about this very thing happening with Elixirs. I have no idea why but to me that sort of thing seems to be more evidence of a burr or too sharp a crown on the saddle. Resting your palm on the bridge and playing percussively while palm muting often causes that too. I don't think that string gauge is the sole reason that this is happening, but it may play a factor.

Anyway, where's the break occurring? At the nut? If so then the slots need to be filed a little wider - or at least you should put a little liquid graphite in the slot (or just take the string off and scribble over the slot with a pencil) to allow the string to slip smoothly.

• Members

It's occurring at the tuning peg, it just snapped off right there. It was mid tune too, but I knew I hadn't hit the note yet. It was the second day I had put the strings on so they weren't that stretched out yet, could that of also been a problem? I really want to just try again but I hate having to blow money on strings.

• Members

With a tuning like that you really need to go to a good string tension calculator or chart and get each gauge correct. In general you want pretty much the same tension in each string, maybe a little less in the top three. D'Addario has a good introduction to how to do this on their web page. Calculate (or look up) the tension in each string with the set recommended by the manufacture of you guitar, the find a gauge that will give the same approximate tension in your new tuning.

(fwiw, Elixers were know for breaking G strings but they pretty much fixed that problem. Your problem is tuning up the 2nd, 3rd and 4th two semi tones, and the 6 down two. I wouldn't do that with lights, much less mediums)

• Members

As far as your question about Elixers - Polys are the original thicker coating, less string noise, long lasting, some folks don't like the feel. Nanos are the thinner coating, IMHO they sound like uncoated string but last a lot longer. The other decision would be PB (warm, mellow) or 80/20 (bright).

• Members

Mr Theory, why DAEAC#E ? (*more later)
I use 13 - 56 gauge and use about a dozen tunings with no problems.
I never tune the 'G' or 'D' up. the 'G' has the thinnest core wire (it's thinner than the top 'E' string) with the 'D' not far behind but check what Kwak says -

Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Check to see if there's a burr on the rim of the hole or if the string is crimped in that area.
* 'alternative tunings' are systems of intervals which gives you different ways to play melody and harmony patterns.
It's variable - so you can tune the whole set of intervals down - like this
take your
DAEAC#E tuning and tune and tune it all down two tones to
CGDGBD
no tuning up involved
smile.gif

Archived