Any info on S. Yairi Model 9108 1973?

den_gerten

• Members

made by s yairi. s yairi made guitars for lowden at one point. I must admit I am not familiar with k yairi guitars as they are produced today. but trust me, if that s yairi is in good condition you have one very, very, very desirable guitar on your hands. i used to have an s yairi. built in 1977. had it for 15 years. it got damaged beyond repair. otherwise i. d still have it.

pricewis, these s yairis from the seventies generaly fetch up to

• Members

Nice Japanese Martin D-18 "knock-off"...that's the solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back/sides model.

About all you can do to make it better is replace the plastic nut and saddle w/ bone or Tusq and upgrade the tuners to Grovers...and they come from the factory, these tend to have a very balanced tone, even the least expensive models.

Bet it sounds nice!

• Members

Balanced tone is right, Terry. The one I used to have sounded like nothing I have ever heard. Smooth as butter. Everyone who ever heard it commented on its smooth sound. Aw {censored}, I'm going to get sentimental, nostalgic GAS now.

den_gerten, any chance of posting a few sound clips, please?

• Members

I gave my 70 SYiari, yes he signed it #107...to my son...its a classical guitar and is an incredible instrument. Gorgeous sound and excellent build. I was offered $1,000 for it some time ago......I didn't sell it. A friend of mine who is a classically trained guitarist wanted it really bad, and I ended up lending it to him for a year....really never thought I'd see it again. But he returned it with a few dings and such, but it one piece. My son was studying music and he inherited it in 1995, where it remains today.

I wouldn't hesitate to own one....you probably have a real gem....congrats.

• Members

I own several S. Yairi nylon strings dated from 1961 to 1971, all very nice and all solid wood. I have never seen those tuners on the one pictured here on high end MIJ acoustics, but those could have been changed during the guitar`s lifetime. The neck wood on it also resembles one of the lower end nylon strings I have, again, never seen that on higher ends but having said that, hard to judge a guitar by pictures alone, at least for me, some folks can do that. The current crop of Sada Yairis have nothing to do with the original because, he died decades ago...my understanding is one of his sons is involved with the ones made today and I have catalogues with the high end models available though not seen any in this Japanese city, just the lower end models that are not MIJ these days...lots of those around here but haven`t played any.
If it is possible to see the guitar in person it could be well worth it, he did make some very high end models...and by no means a sucky brother but rather a very well respected builder in his own right in Japan. None of mine have that same label on them, they have either the hand made washi labels or the blue/green ones and all are dated. Since the one here is written in English safe to assume it was an export model and because all of mine were bought in Japan, I will guess they were domestics and sometimes exports and domestics were very different. I`d bet the case is original, some of mine came with their original cases too and they aren`t exactly "hard" cases...some of my old MIJs came with cases made of wood so there were all kinds. I love my Sada`s and wouldn`t sell them...but I can`t speak for all the guitars he made `cause I haven`t seen em all...but the ones I have are keepers.

• Members

Model numbers were often much different on exports so figuring out how they compared to domestics is sometimes difficult...don`t know where the 9108 fits into the line-up. Looking at old catalogues for Japanese models, they were numbered completely differently.

Archived