Split solid spuce top fix ...

EdBega

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
Humidify it. Glue it. Cleat it if needed.

(I bet it has other troubles besides the crack and being a Fender though.)
Don't see any other issues, the neck looks ok, action was a little higher than I like. I am Humidifying it already don't have a case so probably try a plastic bag if need be.

What kind of glue?
If I need to cleat what would be good for that?
Something readily available at any hardware store for both.

• Members

FF nailed it. Let the humidity close it, wick some thin CA (which you can scrape back with a razor blade then polish and you'll hardly know the crack was there). For cleats, I would use spruce but then I have some, any strong close grained wood or even some linen cloth would work. If you can clamp it, use Titebond, but if you can't, CA will be fine to hold the cleat in place.
Make sure all the braces are tight - again, you can wick CA into cracks if they aren't. Pretty common repair - put a good humidifier in the case.

• Members

EdBega, you didn't mention the model of this Fender you picked up. Some of the older Fender acoustics could make very good guitars. Some of the "F" models from back in the late '70s and early '80s were OK in my book.

I know Fender acoustics aren't known for their great sound, but up until I couple of years ago I had an all laminated F-65 Fender dreadnought that I bought new back in early '82 that sounded as good, if not better, than quite a few solid top budget guitars I played over the years. I was never embarassed to take it anywhere and it held its own very nicely. I sold it to a friend of mine who just happens to feel the same way about it.

However, given the choices on today's market, I don't think I'd ever buy another one. These days, you can buy a solid top Yamaha for less than I paid for that laminated Fender.......times have changed over the years.

Just for kicks, here's a shot of my old F-65. It was my ONLY guitar for quite a few years. It was built like a tank and still in very nice condition when I sold it.

FenderF-65-1.jpg

• Members

John it's a DG 8S looks to be going for $200 with some other goodies. I was expecting it (going by rumors) to sound horrible. It's no Yamaha but it's about the same build and cost as the FG700.

BTT it's like a Martin compared to some of the {censored} boxes I played as a teenager so I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

FF it was left in the AZ sun so it's definitely a humidity caused issue.

Anyway any idea how long it will take for the gap to close?

• Members

If you put it in a known humidity environment above 60%, expect two days, maybe more, up to a week. That's based on what I've seen in some of the videos from Taylor guitars.

Prowl around on the Taylor site. Bob Taylor did some absolutely great videos on humidity and guitars.

• Members

This happened to my Martin but the split is only 1.3 inches long. it happened when we went to Vegas and I got cocky and didn't use a humidifier. It was a suicide mission. The dessert with a guitar and with no humidifier is asking for it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
EdBega, you didn't mention the model of this Fender you picked up. Some of the older Fender acoustics could make very good guitars. Some of the "F" models from back in the late '70s and early '80s were OK in my book.

I know Fender acoustics aren't known for their great sound, but up until I couple of years ago I had an all laminated F-65 Fender dreadnought that I bought new back in early '82 that sounded as good, if not better, than quite a few solid top budget guitars I played over the years. I was never embarassed to take it anywhere and it held its own very nicely. I sold it to a friend of mine who just happens to feel the same way about it.

However, given the choices on today's market, I don't think I'd ever buy another one. These days, you can buy a solid top Yamaha for less than I paid for that laminated Fender.......times have changed over the years.

Just for kicks, here's a shot of my old F-65. It was my ONLY guitar for quite a few years. It was built like a tank and still in very nice condition when I sold it.

FenderF-65-1.jpg
Looks like a champ. I like the double dot in lay on the 7th fret and the wood beam in the middle where the sticker is

• Members

It's been a couple of days and looks to be mostly closed but I don't think it is going to be flush (as in a hair line crack) also one side seems to be slightly higher, it may just need more time.

Glad I took the photo now for comparison though ...

• Members

James large C clamps and a few of the wooden type clamps nothing that would reach that far in though. Looking at the bracing there is a strip that runs under the split between the bracing and the top which would probably make using a cleat not an option.

Here's what it looks like right now.

splittop3days-1.gif

• Members

I've seen CAs sold with their own thinner in woodworking catalogs, but it's safer to buy glue in the consistency you need. I might even use two different glues. A thin one where it's tight and a gap-filling CA where the crack hasn't closed.

• Members

Turned out to be ok the way it came, the brush was helpful in metering out the right amount and preventing runs. I got a little carried away scrapping it with a razor blade and I should have stuck with working in the direction of the grain but it's good enough in this case ...

splittopdone.gif

Not that visible when viewed as would be normally.

Fender.gif

Archived