A short review of the Guild F-1512 (GAD series)

Bad Robot

• Members

Hey there,

I had the opportunity to play one of these today. I played it for close to an hour.

Hmmm... Never done one of these before. Where to start?

Aesthetically, it was very pleasing. The solid rosewood back and sides were well matched, as was the spruce top. Body and top were both high-gloss. The headstock was minimalistically nice, with just 'Guild' across the top. The tuners were gold, and added a nice touch. The neck was satin finished, and was perfect. The jumbo form was not as large as I expected it to be, however, and for me, that was a point in its favor.

Playability: Even though the strings were fairly dead, it was easy to move up and down the fretboard. The action was low, with no fret buzz, regardless of how hard I strummed it. As well, it kept its tuning fine, considering the condition of the strings. I found it more comfortable than my Seagull S12. The frets were also perfect.

Sound: Well, here I was slightly underwhelmed. There was not much low-end, which may have been due to the strings or just that it didn't have a lot of bottom. I only played her in standard tuning, so can't comment on drop D, DADGAD, or C tunings. The good thing about the sound, however, is that it was well-defined: picking out notes while strumming chords was quite good. It projected very well, to the point where the salesman asked me to play more quietly. I was only playing 'Even In The Quietest Moments' by Supertramp, so its projection was quite good!

I am in the market for an upscale 12'er, and have another one in mind, but it is a custom model that costs more than double the price of the F-1512. If the financing can be worked out, I will likely buy the custom (which I played on Wednesday), but wanted to try alternatives.

The F-1512 is a very good guitar. It isn't the super-special' guitar that I am looking for, but it is nevertheless worth the money.

YMMV

Le Naughty Cyborg

• Members

I've thought of that one. I seem to remember reading that the GPC models were lacking in acoustic tone? Maybe I'm thinking of another. Anyway, for me, it would be a compromise with the guitar I'll actually be getting, and though I probably would be satisfied with the 'black richlite' fretboard, I'd rather have real wood.

EDIT: I also don't want to pay for electronics, and I find the controls sticking out of the top of the guitar a bit fugly.

Archived