After Market Tuners For A Classical Guitar

Goat Punishment

• Members

Hey All,

I just picked up a classical acoustic and am looking forward to playing with it on my next album, as well as live with my band. It's not a very expensive model, a vintage Goya that I picked up on Craigslist. I just put brand new strings on it today and it's a little shaky on the higher strings. Since staying in tune is just about the most fundamental thing you can ask of a guitar, I was wondering if there was such a thing as after market tuners made for classical guitars, that might stay in tune for a longer period of time. A quick search of Sam Ash and Musicians friend yielded no results, so I'm wondering if such a thing even exists. Obviously, it's silly to put nice tuners on a not nice instrument, however I really like the feel of the guitar, and it's shotty appearance fits nicely into the look of the band, so if I can make it work, I'd love to try.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't know how many nylon string guitars you've owned. If this is your first, you need to be aware of the fact that new nylon strings can sometimes take up to a week before they're done stretching. In other words, your problem may not be the tuners at all....just those new strings settling in.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John

View Post

I don't know how many nylon string guitars you've owned. If this is your first, you need to be aware of the fact that new nylon strings can sometimes take up to a week before they're done stretching. In other words, your problem may not be the tuners at all....just those new strings settling in.

John is right. And even after a week you may find you need to retune more often than with steel strings since they are more susceptible to changes in temperature, etc.

Archived