After Market Tuners For A Classical Guitar

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Tuners For A Classical Guitar

Hey All,

I just picked up a classical acoustic and am looking forward to playing with it on my next album, as well as live with my band. It's not a very expensive model, a vintage Goya that I picked up on Craigslist. I just put brand new strings on it today and it's a little shaky on the higher strings. Since staying in tune is just about the most fundamental thing you can ask of a guitar, I was wondering if there was such a thing as after market tuners made for classical guitars, that might stay in tune for a longer period of time. A quick search of Sam Ash and Musicians friend yielded no results, so I'm wondering if such a thing even exists. Obviously, it's silly to put nice tuners on a not nice instrument, however I really like the feel of the guitar, and it's shotty appearance fits nicely into the look of the band, so if I can make it work, I'd love to try.

Thanks!

I don't know how many nylon string guitars you've owned. If this is your first, you need to be aware of the fact that new nylon strings can sometimes take up to a week before they're done stretching. In other words, your problem may not be the tuners at all....just those new strings settling in.
    Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Opa John
      View Post

I don't know how many nylon string guitars you've owned. If this is your first, you need to be aware of the fact that new nylon strings can sometimes take up to a week before they're done stretching. In other words, your problem may not be the tuners at all....just those new strings settling in.

John is right. And even after a week you may find you need to retune more often than with steel strings since they are more susceptible to changes in temperature, etc.
      Howard

Comment

What the others have said, however if you want to replace your tuners, StewMac has a nice selection

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/C...al_guitar.html

Comment

Working...
        X