Martin 0000-18

herbie d

• Members

I'm really thinking I'd like to own one of these. So much, I think I'll make a trip to Gruhn Guitars to take a look at one. http://www.gruhn.com/ Martin 0000-18. I have a few gigs coming up this winter, not to far from their location. So... I can hold it in my hand before I make a purchase.

Now what I understand is, this guitar has a top, the size of a Jumbo, but the depth of a 000. I played a M38 and really liked it, but think I'll like this 0000-18 even better.

What I'm wondering is... I play at a fairly loud volume while giging. With the 00015 I gig on now, I don't have too much of a feed back problem, and the little bit that I do, I can usually dial out with my Para DI. (and I don't use a feed back buster in the sound hole) Because this 0000 has a larger surface area, will it be more prone to feed back, or is that not an issue.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poppytater View Post
i don't know the answer, but this is the right place to pose it. Someone will know it. The trouble with the site has put a few people off, but it'll soon be back up to speed.
Or y'all can join up at Melody Vine, as well as here, to as to ALWAYS have access to your acoustic guitar cyber-Peeps... smile.gif

Back to herbie d's question: I play full jumbos (17" across the lower bout and 4.8" deep), which just slightly larger than the 0000 -18, and don't have a lot of trouble w/ feedback, due to using a UST and a single SBT, which tends to feedback much less that a SBT-only set-up, and sounds pretty close, in terms of "naturalness". And I do use a Lute Hole soundhole cover, which doesn't suppress the sound nearly as much as those rubber ones do, and looks sharp, as well.

You didn't state what you're using as a p/u, but we both use the PADI, and you haven't mentioned if it's solo or band gigs, both of which can make quite a difference, but if your 000-15 is not feedingback too badly, the 0000-18 may not, either.

So, the answer, w/o knowing your p/u choice, is "possibly-possibly not"...

I can say that if I ever got another Martin, it'd probably be the 0000-18. smile.gif

• Members

Thanks for the reply Terry. Yea... In the way that I'm looking at it, the jumbo would be even more prone to feed back. So mabe I'm wrong in the way I'm thinking about it.
My 000-15m has the LR Baggs Anthem system in it, and my back-up guitar, a single 0 sized guitar has the LR Baggs Element in it, with the sound hole covered. When I play loud, it's usually in Bands. (my full band is up-right bass, sax, fiddle, and drums) I also do alot of Solo/Duo kind of gigs, but I hardly ever have a feed back issue on those type of gigs.
I will say this LR Baggs M-80 has my interest, but I havn't seen one in use yet or heard any one raving over it yet. Looks good in the advertising.
The 0000-18 has peaked my interest, and taken the place of my wanting one of the new D-18's which I really liked. I've also found out I really like the 1 and 3/4 necks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by herbie d View Post
Thanks for the reply Terry. Yea... In the way that I'm looking at it, the jumbo would be even more prone to feed back. So mabe I'm wrong in the way I'm thinking about it.
My 000-15m has the LR Baggs Anthem system in it, and my back-up guitar, a single 0 sized guitar has the LR Baggs Element in it, with the sound hole covered. When I play loud, it's usually in Bands. (my full band is up-right bass, sax, fiddle, and drums) I also do alot of Solo/Duo kind of gigs, but I hardly ever have a feed back issue on those type of gigs.
I will say this LR Baggs M-80 has my interest, but I havn't seen one in use yet or heard any one raving over it yet. Looks good in the advertising.
The 0000-18 has peaked my interest, and taken the place of my wanting one of the new D-18's which I really liked. I've also found out I really like the 1 and 3/4 necks.
A string bass is often problematic when playing with an amplified acoustic guitar, even more so than with an electric bass. Sometimes the phase reversal on the PADI is extremely helpful.

My Lute Hole helps a lot, but doesn't adversely affect the unplugged sound, the way rubber soundhole covers will..

e650f4a4-6be8-48fb-8337-4e354c75a6f8

• Members

Yea, I've seen those hole covers Terry. Very cool. With that Anthem System I use, the controls take up alot of Real Estate on the side of the sound hole of the guitar. With that and my big fingers I'd have to cut half of the Lute Cover away.
Ha,ha, yea, I'm with ya about the bass causing feedback in my guitar. Believe it or not, I have more troubles with the Kick Drum. Esp. if the Venue has a drum riser. In the smaller venues, I rigged up a suit case (american tourister) to be used as a kick drum. I put a mic on it, and you cant tell the difference in FOH, but the stage volume is lowered quite a bit. I use that same suitcase on some of my solo gigs.

Archived